UST tire recommendation for the OC area trails

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by foofighter, Jul 24, 2007.

1. STP

STP New Member

I've had very good luck with the Kenda Small Block 8's. They are long lasting (I've been racing and training on the same pair since Firestone!). They are indeed UST and have many small knobs all the way across. They roll very fast and hook up really well in sandy conditions. I've had no problems with them, even at highly technical racecourses, like Rim Nordic.

2. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

i might just do that for the rears since some of our trails are getting really broken up from lack of moisture.

3. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

not sure how hard you ride, but the SB8 rears i ran on the back of my bike would skip/break loose a lot in turns

4. foofighter

im def not a bomber...are you really aggressive?

5. Pilas

Pilas Member

I have been using Phytons for about 4 years. I really like them for hardpack conditions. They roll very fast and corner surprinsingly well.
    I run the non tubeless version on my UST rims, using the Stan's sealant. In 4 years racing with them I have had very few flats. I even survived the Downieville race, while many riders where stopped by the trailside with flats.
    Recently, I put an S Works fast track on the rear wheel, and it seems to work very well also.
    As far as Kendas, it is a great tire, but very difficult to seal. You should be OK if you use the UST version though.

Actually, before I went tubeless, I had a very nasty tumble on Main Divide due to a front tire blow out(with tube in it).
    Sorry to contradict some of your friends, but tubeless is the way to go.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2007
  6. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

i'm more of a xc/am rider i think... i just like going fast downhill tho :bang:

7. foofighter

lol thanks!

EDIT:

Installed the nevegal tonight. while i had the tire off i decided to clean the front wheel and replace the stem w/ Stan's stem. mounted the tire and squirted some soapy water onto both sides of the tire. pumped her up and got it up to 30 PSI and heard a couple pops as the bead seated itself. I also notice that the some of the spoke nipples were bubbling from and then it stopped. Tightened down the stem a bit as it was leaking air as well. Once everything was set, i removed the removable part of the stem and raided my son's medicine cabinet and stole one of those liquid medicine syringe heeh (dont tell my wife)...added Stan's miracle liquid and pumped it up again...viola easy peasy this time...rolled the wheel to let the fluid get everywhere inside and seal up anything that might be amiss. Cant wait to go ride this sucker!