User Reviews

Discussion in 'Website discussion' started by gurp13, May 14, 2007.

1. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    Hey George, as I mentioned in another thread, the mtbr reviews section is getting so out of date that it's actually starting to be useless. What would it take to have a section of STR for reviews?

I was thinking, I know that with the dizzying array of products out there, it would be tough to have reviews specific to each and every thing. But, what if you had more general reviews? Like, a thread to talk about Sidi shoes or Roach pads? Some threads could be more specific to, say, bike models. But, not specific to each and every year and build, for example.

It just seems like peeps are always looking for information on what's good. What do you think?

2. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    Yeah, George! Like you don't have enough to do already! :)

Gurp has a good idea. Although it would seem that the effort required to make it like MTBR would be monumental.

Mabye a searchable DB where every member could put tested items into it?

Or make it part of the user accounts and make it searchable?

3. gurp13

High School Teacher
    If George doesn't want to do it, then I want a refund!

Seriously, though, I think it could be done simply and still be useful. I think one of the downfalls of the mtbr section is that it's too big. There's out of date models and stuff in there. I mean, I understand the usefulness of old bike reviews if you're buying something used. However, do we really need reviews of shoes that are four years old? So, that's why I'm suggesting that there would simply be a "thread" for each different shoe maker. Like Sidi, Pearl Izumi, Lake, Northwave, Addidas, Answer, etc. I don't know.

It's just a question. And, for what it's worth, I think that STR is good in a way because it simply exists to put mtb riders in touch with each so they can go on rides together. Part of me thinks that if you keep adding stuff that you dilute the strength of the original recipe. I was only wondering if it had been considered. I figured since STR does what it does better than many other sites, that maybe it would do product reviews better. I know I love being able to get opinions on stuff before I buy.

4. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Yes, that would kick ass! George should totally implement some sort of review database or system or something!

Also, he should setup a trails directory with google maps, links to ride reports, and links to other information on those trails.

Oh, and there's the injured list feature too - that would also be cool. George really should get off his lazy butt and start working on this stuff already! Dammit, I want my money back! :protest:

Oh wait . . .

On a serious note: finals and semester ends on Friday next week. So after that I should have some more free time for STR and riding :)

edit: Just wanted to clarify this post was mostly just a joke and not me being sarcastic. I greatly appreciate any and all input on how to make STR more user-friendly and useful to everyone that uses it!

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2007
  5. gurp13

High School Teacher
    :lol: Dude, you could even be sarcastic, if you wanted. And, I'd have to just suck it up on account of I like this website. :D Anyway, I wouldn't have even asked if I didn't think you'd consider it.

On the real, don't do anything else to the website. It does a great job already and is already feature rich.

No, I take that back. Here's one suggestion. I suggest you make it subscription based. I'd pay $5 a month for sure for the site. Maybe more. It's a good site. And, we need a way to get bitchy and demand our money back for reals. :D

6. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    ....and more nudity please, especially of the lesbian sort if you could. thanks in advance

7. gurp13

High School Teacher
  8. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    He's only charging you 5 bucks a month??? That's not fair, he charges me 25. WTF?

;)

9. gurp13

High School Teacher
    I think he charges by height. Tall guys are free, I heard.

10. nappyt

nappyt New Member

I do backend PHP/MySQL stuff so if you get me a requirements document I could try to make you a review module like the one on MTBR.

I agree that site is getting dated and the only thing keeping it a float is the forum. This one is better IMHO.