Used 26" Gary Fisher Hardtail

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TreksterFuelex, Aug 12, 2015.

1. TreksterFuelex

TreksterFuelex Next to beer, I

Inside sales
    Moderators, my apologies if this has been posted within the wrong forum. A bit has changed since the last time I was around STR.

Wife has me cleaning up the garage and I'm offering up my bike that got me into the sport in the first place. Entertaining any and all real offers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Jonathan

2. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    um, 20 bucks if you deliver

3. chubacabra

chubacabra Threapy Dog

That's not really funny but in the real realm of things, I'd say $30-40. The 26'er is dead as the 4x3 standard def. video camera. They are like boat anchors. Also your 26'er has generic v-brakes and a no name fork which makes it worth the 30-40.

I was in Mammoth a month ago and even the bike rentals at lake side hotels have Giant 27.5's with Rockshox middle of the line forks. Most other bike rentals either have Giant, Trek or Specialized 29er's among the 27.5. And bike rental bikes are the dregs among mountain enthusiasts. Unfortunately your bike falls in the category of give-away
    or domestic beer money. Ask a neighbor if they'd like it, Good luck. :)

4. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    I'd say that's worth $60-$80. But it might not be worth the trouble to find someone willing to pay that for it.

You could always donate it - http://www.bikebbq.com/p/time-and-location.html

5. chubacabra

chubacabra Threapy Dog

I apologize for such a cruel post, but I know ppl who ride around in old 26er's (not on trails) and still think they're worth something. Its difficult explaining to them that their once $800 hardtail they purchased in 1998 is worthless to another mountain enthusiast. Most of these people are over 45. When you get old, some ppl get trapped in the past--like some of those politicians running for Pres.

I try explaining to them that a 1998 Dell or Mac desktop is the same thing. You paid a lot for it back then, but who wants to use it now?

In 1998 I used to ride 3 times a week, I really enjoyed that hard tail. I even upgraded the parts to XT. Would I want to ride that bike now? Hell no. Not when there's better tech out there...well unless I was really poor, but if I was I wouldn't have wi-fi in the house. My 2c

6. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    To use the bike it needs a new 7 speed chain, fork service, new brake pads, serviced shifters, new cables, new tires, tubes, grips, seat, pedals, RD. Add it all up it is about $200 or more dollars. I doubt the fork can be serviced so really more like $300. That is still a good price for a hardtail with 4" travel, but there a lot of labor to put in for free. Who knows if the hubs are good or even the cassette. Finding old 7 speed stuff is not that easy but cheap if you find it. I would think hard about it before investing my time.

But hey when was the last time you passed someone with all the cables routed on top of the top tube? Remember hitting air and hearing the cable smack the tube, awe those were the days

$300 bucks is a great price for a quality hardtail. I keep my old 94 hardtail in tip top condition. It has been upgraded with a Salle saddle, 9 speed groupo, curved bars, Deore cantalevers, and 4" Judy's. The tires are nice and new. It has a rack so I put my bags on it when I need to carry things like wine bottles from bicycle wine tastings and such. I just took it to Sanfran where it climbed the steepest hills (that 22-36 is great for this). I think this would be an excellent choice for a frame if you are into such things like me.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2015