USADA now after Lance

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Pain Freak, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

Lance doped and so did 2nd through 80th place. It was Top Fuel racing at its best.

2. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

In over 600 random tests he has never tested dirty, so what actions are you talking about? People like you keep talking like you know something that the rest of us don't know. So what is it? A gut feeling or some hear say from some convicted snitches?

I'm not saying he's innocent or guilty. What I am saying is if he is guilty, I have not seen enough proof. Show me some hard evidence. How was he able to pass 600 test? Where are the pictures? Where are the used needles with his DNA? Come on give me something other than conjecture and conspiracy theories.

I'll tell you what, I can see how his non contesting the charges can be seen as an admittance of guilt but I also can understand why he would do it even if he is innocent.
    I mean they tried him before and had nothing. Now they're trying him again on the very same charges. What ever happened to double jeopardy?
    Then there is no way they were going to give him a fair trial. They had already mad up their mind and a trial was a mere formality. Plus if he did beat it, they would just try him again.
    Also, they won't share evidence so how is he suppose to prepare an adequate defense.

The USADA was going to convict him no matter what so why even try?

3. Smokie

Smokie New Member

It's great to see Cycling & triathalon rid themselves of this Cancer.

4. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    +1, can someone please explain this?

5. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

Actually he's a Virgo.

From http://espn.go.com/olympics/cycling...d-performance-enhancing-drugs-cycling-career:

World Anti-Doping Agency president John Fahey says Armstrong's decision to drop his fight against drug charges was an admission the allegations "had substance in them." Fahey told The Associated Press he was certain USADA acted properly.

"I am confident and WADA is confident that the USADA acted within the WADA code, and that a court in Texas also decided not to interfere," Fahey said in a telephone interview. "They now have the right to apply a penalty that will be recognized by all WADA code countries around the world."

Fahey said Armstrong must now live with the consequences of his decision not to continue fighting allegations against him.

"He had a right to contest the charges. He chose not to," Fahey said. "The simple fact is that his refusal to examine the evidence means the charges had substance in them. Under the rules, penalties can now be imposed."

When asked whether USADA had the authority to strip Armstrong of his Tour de France titles, Fahey replied: "Olympic medals and titles are for other agencies to decide, not WADA."

In Lausanne, Switzerland, early Friday, International Olympic Committee spokesman Mark Adams said the IOC would have to consider decisions made by USADA and the International Cycling Union (UCI), the sport's governing body, "before deciding its next steps."

The UCI's statement on Friday was brief. It had backed Armstrong's legal challenge to USADA's authority and in theory could take the case before the international Court of Arbitration for Sport.

"The UCI recognizes that USADA is reported as saying that it will strip Mr. Armstrong of all results from 1998 onwards in addition to imposing a lifetime ban from participating in any sport which recognizes the World Anti-Doping Code," Friday's UCI statement said.

"Article 8.3 of the WADC states that where no hearing occurs the Anti-Doping Organization with results management responsibility shall submit to the parties concerned (Mr. Armstrong, WADA and UCI) a reasoned decision explaining the action taken.

"As USADA has claimed jurisdiction in the case the UCI expects that it will issue a reasoned decision in accordance with Article 8.3 of the Code."

Tygart said UCI was "bound to recognize our decision and impose it" as a signer of the World Anti-Doping Code.

"They have no choice but to strip the titles under the code," he said.

6. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    The biggest loser is us. Congress created a monster. Our constitutional rights have been trampled by the USADA. What's next for him? The bureaucrats claim he has to return all awards (money too). Who's going to enforce that claim and how?

7. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
    Will you guys feel differently if it turns out he doped to win Leadville?

8. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    So ban every single last one until you come to someone willing to race clean. Every single one.

If you have to burn the sport to the ground in order to solve this problem, then you have one seriously screwed up sport. But until something that drastic is done, cycling will never have even a glimmer of respectability. Nor will it deserve one.

9. Cosmo64

Cosmo64 New Member

Aircraft Tech
    Good point Sweetpea!...It does not matter to me, because even on Lance's ,or any other pro rider's worse day they could still ride me under the ground

10. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
    But it might matter to the fast guys who didn't dope, dontcha think?

I think that the reason people say they don't care is the fact that so many others were doping. But when you dope in a field of non dopers it's harder to accept. For me, I don't like the culture of attacking people when they do tell the truth and then hiding from the truth yourself. That's not all that heroic.

11. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    The only thing I know about Lanceis that in the spring of 2005 I was 40 lbs heavier than I am now, hadn't put my leg over a bike in 20 years, had high collesterol, chest pains and a doctor that told me if I don't clean up my life I'll not have too much time. Then Lance won his last Tour. I watched it, and he inspired me to get off my fat ass an on a bike. Now I'm in the best shape of my life. Last exam the doc said I have the blood results of a 25 year old athlete. I'm 46. My initial step into cycling in 2005 was for health purposes, but over the years turned into an obsession and then into a religion and now into a lifestyle I could not separate myself from (even if the person that inspired me doped when he did so).

Did he dope. Most likely, but I really don't care. Lance Armstrong inspired me to clean up my life, and I probably wouldn't be around had he not inspired me. Thank you Lance Armstrong.

12. jasonmason

Well, guess that just comes down to difference of opinion.

Some people actually care about those that are called heroic actually being deserving of the moniker.

Doping is cheating. Cheating isn't heroic.

Did he inspire people? Sure. But I find it even more repugnant that he inspired those people under a false pretense. Would it be any less inspiring of him to come back from cancer and finish in the top ten of the tour, and do it cleanly?

Which matters more - the (false)wins, or the principle?

13. badgas

badgas I like dirt

I think we should somehow involve the Fullerton loop into this thread and then we can be up to 20 pages by Monday.

14. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

Everyone was doping so the playing field was level, he still beat them and didn't get caught during tests. He still came back from cancer and beat all the other dopers which is quite remarkable.

Heck 2 baseball players got popped this week. Sports stars shouldn't be put on pedestals. They're trying to make money anyway they can and will do whatever it takes to win.

Long live Lance!

15. jasonmason

So because everyone else was doing it, it was acceptable?

Or was it that he didn't get caught that makes it acceptable?

Or was it that because he had cancer, doping was now ok for him?

Just trying to make sense of your argument.

Isn't that exactly what you (and others) are trying to keep him on by making excuses for his cheating?

16. CarlS

CarlS Member

I just don't get it. How can you pass 600 random drug tests, and be found guilty of something with no evidence or trial?

Can someone explain what is happening here?

17. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    I find myself really conflicted about Lance. On one hand he overcame cancer, started a movement to raise cancer awareness (Livestrong), rose to the top of his profession and by doing so raised awareness of bicycle racing/riding in general and thus became an American icon (those we know by first names are usually icons). I loved the fact that he just pissed the French off winning their race so often... and yet, he seemingly accomplished this through the use performance enhancing drugs. This is a slipperly slope... especially to our kids. If we condone this in the name of all the positive effects that he caused, then we send a mixed message to our children. Winning is nice and unfortunately in our culture, it is everything... I may be plain old fashioned and out of date... but I happen to believe in integrity ... honor ... and truth ... no matter what ever the cost.

18. throttlemire

throttlemire New Member

Magazine Publisher
    Home Page:
    I'm so impressed by Lance telling the USADA off by not entering arbitration. His legacy is secure with me. He has defended himself for 12+ years and they found nothing. Now all they have are losers who will testify against him. WHere is the evidence? It's all politics, power and corruption. With clowns like this in power, cycling doesn't deserve any respect. I do hope the UCI tells the USADA off and upholds Lance's TDF titles, but I"m not counting on it.

Seemingly is the key here. Doping has not been proven. That's the important thing. Rumors are not fact.

19. scottay

scottay New Member

A&P
    I think its kinda like pleading "no contest". He could've had a trial, but chose not endure the monkey bizzness. I bet the UCI gives him the titles back.

20. aoizip

aoizip New Member

Catching the Pokemon
    If Lance has to give the title back, and handed down to the 2nd place. Are UCI going to test him for doping?
    The thing i still do not get is without evidence, how can you just go by words of mouth without proof to back it up. This is what USADA is doing, as they kept saying they have witnesses.

USADA is doing something like our gov. once we found you skipping tax, what ever you earn the rest of your life belong to us:?: