USADA now after Lance

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Pain Freak, Jun 13, 2012.

1. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

You heard it here first: He's going to jump on her couch, convert to Scientology and announce Comeback 3.0.

2. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    heehee. Lookit I found!

LanceOprah2.jpg

3. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    This seems fishy. I'm beginning to think this is the launch of a publicity program to limit losses in lawsuits. As in: "Hey, the guy confessed on national TV - he's suffered enough. And, how about we settle for 50% of what he took from you in the past?"

Tim Herman will be rakin' bigtime over the next year.

4. badbietz

badbietz Get Rad

Account Manager
    I've read that he could loose more by confessing. Apparently when the US Government investigated him he swore under oath that he did not dope, may not be a good idea to purger oneself on national TV.

I think better odds are that he will strike a deal with USADA and UCI and US Gov to come clean, promote clean cycling, do some community service or whatever and not be sued and sent to jail. But who knows, will be interesting to see what happens.

Maybe he is just hoping no self respecting cyclist would ever watch Oprah. Looks like I'll have to have my wife record this one for me.

5. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

What do we really know about this interview? Is it a foregone conclusion that he's going to confess to anything?

6. FijiRob

FijiRob Member

He's going through narcissistic publicity withdrawals and needs his fix.

7. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Who cares about the motivation and ramifications as long as the truth comes out. Dean

8. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    I think its all about money. First of all he is not doing Oprah for free. I can bet he will be walking out of this interview with a fat check. Second, seems that if he confesses he maybe able to get a ticket back to competition at least on the tri side. His participation in triatholons will earn him money. Plus once the spotlight moves away and assuming he is successful in triatholons then some sponsors might come back. Certianly not the lucrative Nike style deals but he could get some smaller sponsors back.... Itsall about the money, and lets not forget sport is a business...

9. roach

roach Full Singletrack Tuck

Environmental Planner
    The only sport I care about has been ruined. ](*,)

Attached Files:

10. roach

roach Full Singletrack Tuck

Environmental Planner
    ten questions...

Perfect questions I'd love to hear the answers to:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/blog/2013/jan/09/ten-questions-oprah-winfrey-lance-armstrong

:clap:

I particulary like the 2nd one:

"Past experience of doping confessions suggests that you will claim you had no alternative but to dope because that was the culture of the sport at the time and it was the only way to succeed. Has it ever occurred to you that in 1999, when you won your first Tour de France, the sport was in a state of transition, with a body of riders and teams clearly and publicly committed to change, and that your doping, and that of other US Postal riders in that Tour and those that followed, contributed strongly to the sport being sucked back into the morass of doping? More importantly, did it cross your mind at the time?"

11. eruizela

eruizela mountain bike addict

Realtor
    He is just gonna keep lying, making shit up, and do damage control. Can we just send him to a remote planet outpost somewhere and far away?

12. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    Odds:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...e-armstrong-will-use-during-tv-interview.html

"However, Nicole Nichols of Winfrey’s OWN cable network told AFP in Washington via an e-mail: “Armstrong has no editorial control and no question is off-limits.” She added the rider is getting no payment for the interview." -Velo News

I'd like to see him not waste everyone's time here by simply saying, at the start,..."ask me anything."

If he drops the C word into the flow then I'm outta there in a hurry.

13. Albacore

Albacore 34x18

Fireman
    If he calls Oprah a c#nt then I'm staying. Oh wait, you meant cancer.

14. ManInAShed

ManInAShed New Member

Destroyer of worlds.
  15. obie

obie New Member

poolman
  16. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    There's plenty of opinions out there now - going both ways on how much he will/should say.

1. Tell everything and begin the repair of your name. Pay hefty settlements where ordered and move on. UCI crew, labs, doctors, riders - anyone named by LA and yet to come clean - they begin their new tainted lives as ex-cycling somebodies and, seek work out of the sport as 'New Era' of cycling begins...once again? Armstrong races his bike again after reduced suspension.

2. Work a legal stategy that shapes (reduces) finanacial settlements, name a few names (Verbruggen?) and continue to hide (and not race). Hopefully winning at the outset some pity from the public who want this over and, then who will give him some 'credit' for at least admitting to the bullshit that his career actually turned out be. No racing but saves some cash (Statute of Limitations calls should be interesting if they go this route) and get some psychological lift from starting the rehab process.

I really don't see this as a major Sea Change coming to pro cycling. Armstrong opens the Pandora Box (all the names) and he then spends a hella lot of time/money fighting counter suits, testifying and so on.

I think the guy just wants to get on his bike again and hammer all day to forget all this. The sooner the better. Let the lawyers sort this sordid mess out.

17. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Looks like he's going to confess....

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/lance-admit-doping-oprah-interview-164424231--spt.html

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Lance Armstrong said he will answer questions ''directly, honestly and candidly'' during an interview with Oprah Winfrey next week. He will also apologize and make a limited confession to using performance-enhancing drugs, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

Armstrong has spent more than a decade denying that he doped to win the Tour de France seven times. Without saying whether he would confess or apologize during the taping, Armstrong told The Associated Press in a text message early Saturday, ''I told her (Winfrey) to go wherever she wants and I'll answer the questions directly, honestly and candidly. That's all I can say.''

A confession would be a stunning reversal for Armstrong after years of public statements, interviews and court battles from Austin to Europe in which he denied doping and zealously protected his reputation.

more at the link

18. bing!

bing! Active Member

not so interested that id watch oprah. he shouldve gone to rollingstone or sumthin.

btw, is there any mainstream sport that hasnt been tainted by drugs? so much holier than thou around this issue, its not like anyone was surprised was there?

19. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    "When Lance cries on Oprah later this week and she passes him a tissue, spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward,” Cooke said. "Tyler Hamilton will make more money from a book describing how he cheated than I will make in all my years of honest labour." - Nicole Cooke

20. jcampbell

jcampbell going Gods speed since 75

Believer, Husband and Father.
    Home Page:
    Apparently it's official now. He coughed up an excuse an admitted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD