US CUP Triple Crown #1-Bonelli Park/KENDA CUP WEST #2-BONELLI PARK 3/13/11

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by vlad, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    There is a US Cup 2011 thread but this race is going to be really good so I guess it probably deserves its own thread.....

Mark your calendars for March 13th, 2011. Also check out the STR calendar as denmother has already posted the event (RSVP). Saturday 03/12 is the UCI pro event and the Super D race. Sunday 03/13 is XC Race day for us mortals in Cat 1, 2, 3.

If you go to the US Cup website (www.uscup.net) under the Schedule tab you will find a geoladders link to the pro XC course. It is very very very new this year with about 2.8-3.0 miles of singletrack and about 1/2 mile of fire roads. Of all that singletrack about 1 mile is completely new, freshly dug up course which has not yet been used in any previous Bonelli park races. Its fun, flowing, tight singletrack, not that much climbing (470 odd punchy feet per lap), and some nice obsticles (logs, drops) to keep things fun. I'm not sure if the UCI will allow the US Cup folks to run the cat 2/3 course exactly the same as the pro/cat 1 course (lets pray to the Gods of dirt trails that they do), but even if they don't the vast majority of the new singletrack should make it.

Here is a link to a thread at STR that has links to a vid of the couse.

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/racing-training/56077-bonelli-course-video.html

If you have never raced before this is an excellent race to start it with. The park is beautiful, the course is the best and the fanfare that comes with such high level pro race weekend is unforgetable!

Us cup triple crown #1-bonelli park/KENDA CUP WEST #2-BONELLI PARK

US CUP TRIPLE CROWN #1-BONELLI PARK

March 12th - March 13th, 2011 - San Dimas, CA

Round #1 of the US Cup Triple Crown All Mountain Pro Series kicks off at Bonelli Park. Saturday's Pro XC event, will also double as Round #1 of USA Cycling's PRO XCT cross country series and will be registered as a XCO C1 event..All UCI rules and doping guidelines apply!

Sunday, Pro's will return to do battle in Short Track and Super D to claim bragging rights on the best "All Mountain" rider in the country!
    Register Online | USA Cycling Release | General Info | Schedule

KENDA CUP WEST #2-BONELLI PARK

March 13th, 2011 - San Dimas, CA

Round #2 of the Kenda Cup West offers amatuers a chance to see the Nations Top Pro Cross Country riders do battle over two days in the US Cup All Mountain Pro Series.

But not to be left out, on Sunday, amatuers will get to stake their claim at round #3 of the Kenda Cup West Series, and get rewarded with some new upgrades to the 2010 Bonelli Cross Country course!

Register Online | Team Big Bear Release Form | General Info | Schedule

2. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

3. BMAR325

BMAR325 New Member

How many miles do the beginners race?

4. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

Beginners typical do between 10-15mi depending on the course.

5. pikeman

pikeman Member

Does Bonelli Park allow you to find there to pre ride the course ?

6. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    I signed up just to make sure I get the free lunch. I would end up doing it rain or shine anyways. Plus, I get to wait in the faster line this time.

7. denmother

Updated links

US CUP TRIPLE CROWN #1-BONELLI PARK

March 12th - March 13th, 2011 - San Dimas, CA

Round #1 of the US Cup Triple Crown All Mountain Pro Series kicks off at Bonelli Park. Saturday's Pro XC event, will also double as Round #1 of USA Cycling's PRO XCT cross country series and will be registered as a XCO C2 event..All UCI rules and doping guidelines apply!

Sunday, Pro's will return to do battle in Short Track and Super D to claim bragging rights on the best "All Mountain" rider in the country!

Register Online | USA Cycling Release | Schedule | Elite XCO Technical Guide | Team Big Bear Release Form | General Info | Pro Payout | Pro XC Course | Host Hotel | Tech Info | Expo Reg

8. denmother

Schedule

Friday March 11
    2:00 pm – 6:00 pm Cross-country course open for pre-riding
    2:00 pm – 5:30 pm Registration and Packet Pick-up
    5:00 pm Pro Riders meeting at venue

Saturday March 12
    8:00 am – 4:30 pm Registration and Packet Pick-up
    8:00 am- 10:30 am Cross-country course open for pre-riding
    10:30am Women’s Pro XCT Staging
    10:45 am Women’s Pro XCT Race
    1:15 pm Men’s Pro XCT Staging
    1:30 pm Men’s Pro XCT Race
    3:30 – 5:00 pm Super D Course open for pre-riding
    5:15 pm Super D Race

Sunday March 13 (Daylight Savings Time begins!)
    6:45 am – 3:00 pm Registration and Packet Pick-up
    8:00 am Cat 1 Cross-country Race (Including Cat 1 Jr’s)
    10:3 am Cat 2 Cross-country Race (Including all Cat 2 Jr’s)
    1:00 pm Cat 3 Cross-country Race (Including Jr Men 13-14, 11-12, 10 & under, Jr Women 14 & under)
    2:30 pm FREE Kids Race
    3:00 pm Pro Women Short Track Staging
    3:15 pm Pro Women Short Track Race
    3:45 pm Pro Men Short Track Staging
    4:00 pm Pro Men Short Track Race

Awards Schedule
    Sunday March 13
    11:00 am Cat 1 Cross-country
    1:30 pm Cat 2 Cross-country
    3:30 pm Cat 3 Cross-country
    4:45 pm Short Track

9. dislocated1

dislocated1 New Member

Fabricator
    Home Page:
    I see the pro/xc course posted, any info on the cat2/3 course?

10. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    I believe I read somewhere that it'll be the same as the pro course, except it will also go around that little hill that parallels the lake briefly. Basically the same as last year, but with a new section added.

11. jbiron

jbiron New Member

Dad
  12. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Actually alot of new singletrack. Much of the old initial loop has been changed. The initial loop for amateurs is pretty much the same as the pro course other than about 50 or so rerouted feet. The loop past the beach parking lots and next to the lake is the same. Preride the course if you can get a chance to. Its alot more fun than last year's. Plus how many UCI blessed courses can you get to ride.

13. dislocated1

dislocated1 New Member

Fabricator
    Home Page:
    Pre-rode this morning... alot of others were out there too, all running different loops. Not too sure what I did was right but it was right at 5 mi. when I was done. Quite a bit of confusion with the people out there in regards to alot of the turns and such. gonna try another lap this afternoon and see if I can get it sorted out better

14. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Unofficial pre-ride of the cat 2/3 loop tomorrow Sunday at 8:00am wheels on the ground ready to roll. I know the exact course (helped with some maintenance on part if it with the US Cup folks) Driving a blue jeep wrangler and will be in a white Shoair outfit. Really unofficial. Will not have sweepers, refreshments or any such. Got to leave Bonelli by 10:00am so short and sweet.

15. SADJ

SADJ New Member

Hey Vlad- do the Cat1's do the 5 mile loop too? Or the same ~3.1 mile loop as the pros?

16. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Not 100% sure but beleive cat 1 is doing the pro loop.

17. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Good riding with you today dislocated1!

Course is really good. Much more ridden in than during the previous weeks. Ton of folks on the trails today preriding! This is going to be a really really great event next weekend!

18. dislocated1

dislocated1 New Member

Fabricator
    Home Page:
    Good cruising around with you today too! I need some work on the endurance, no Cat2 for me! Ended up doing three laps in all today. Fun course!

19. Lauterborn

Lauterborn New Member

trash man
    Thinking about trying this race out. I never have raced before but love to compete. I would be a complete beginner to racing and are worried about getting in the way. Is there any good links to racing protocol?

20. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    This is a great race to try! Don't worry about getting in the way as the beginners race at a totally seperate time from the other categories. You will not be sharing the course with any of the faster classes. At some races they mix all the categories onthe course at the same time so you get bottlenecks with pros trying to pass beginners. Not here. As for racing protocol, look at some of the threads in STR. That is your best bet. Some general guidelines for first time cat 3 racers:

First, try to pre-ride the course so you are familiar with it. Its a relatively short lap so most beginners will be able to do it within 30-35 minutes per lap. Head on over to Bonelli after work during the week or get there early Saturday, preride and then watch the pros race.
    Second, during the race don't feel you need to try a section you might be uncomfortable with (downhill or climbing). Try your best but there is no shame in dismounting and walking it. Better walking it than ending the day in the hospital.
    Third, if you do walk a section, don't walk in the middle of the trail and block other racers. Walk on the side of the trail.
    Fourth, as for passing, it is up to the rider coming from behind to safely pass. First they should call "passing on your left / or right". If you can, and only if you can do it safely give them a little room. Its up to them to also find a safe place to pass. If someone calls a pass on a technical narrow part of singletrack and you are not comfortable with it, then call it off "not here" or "hold it". You should not have to stop in order to let other people pass you. If anyone tries to pass without doing any of these they are a-holes.
    Fifth, HAVE FUN! Unless you are a paid pro, you are doing this for fun and to tame those competitive juices.

Try a couple of races and if you like it join a local club/ team. That is he best way to improve racing skills and learn the rules of the race. I'm partial to Team Shoair Velosport (cause I'm a member and it is he best MTB team in SoCal), but join whatever team / club works for you!

See you in Bonelli!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.