Race Report US Cup State Championship

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Dukeneverwinter, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Dukeneverwinter

Dukeneverwinter New Member

All I can say is, it was hot. Small turnout. I am willing to bet money that there would have been more people if the race was at Bonelli.

2. wraschke

wraschke New Member

Student
    Probably wouldve had a bigger field. I didnt like all the downgrading by guys. I had 2 guys in my category go from racing cat 1 to cat 2. I hung with them for awhile but i've only been racing a full season. both those guys have been racing for years. Sucked but im happy with the 3rd place overall.

3. Singular

Singular Happy is single & speedin

Web Designer
    Sorry to hear that my friend. I've know the feeling...It just shows how they cannot handle their own category and have the need to downgrade to cat 2 in order to win. You did well and don't beat your self up.

4. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    I'm glad to have a regular XC race at Vail, but I agree that Bonelli probably would have had a better turn out. It seems like a better venue for this particular race. Still a good weekend though and I do like the courses they can put together at Vail.

Anyone know why the awards said "Vail Lake Triple Crown"?

5. SADJ

SADJ New Member

Agreed. I can't speak to the venue of Vail Lake as I didn't attend, but I can say that I would have attended the event at Bonelli. I recognize though that you can't please everybody but I think the lack of turnout speaks for itself. I did a quick count- of pro/cat 1 males and cat 2 males, (I counted all who were on the results page assuming that that means they registered and paid even if they DNF'd or DNS'd)

Vail Lake 2011- Pro/Cat 1 males = 63 total
    Bonelli 2010 - Pro / Cat 1 males = 108 total

Vail Lake 2011- Cat 2 males = 86 total
    Bonelli 2010 - Cat 2 males = 115 total

I'm sure the trend would continue into Cat 3, females, etc. but I didn't want to count anymore.

6. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    It does have a bit to do with being at Vail (which is a perfectly fine venue, except it's in Temecula and not near OC), but also the race was 3 weeks later than last year. We've been racing US Cup events (ok, you guys have been, I didn't race until May) since February and people are ready for a break.

It worked out well for me in some regards as I was able to do 3 races in 2.5 weeks (CROSS) prior so I got in some speed work and love riding at Vail.

Historically (and I have not counted), but it seems the last race/finale is always lower attendance than the first few races and that seems to be the case in Cross as well.

I had a great race, the heat didn't bother me, had 3 Pro women (same as last year, but different women!), and got to cheer on some friends, then fully enjoyed local Oktoberfest food and beer at Barley and Hopes. WINNING.

7. whybother

whybother New Member

I think it is sad that so many people behind the Orange Curtain can't attend a race outside their county, but that combined with the late-season date is the reason that the turnout was lower. The venue/trails are quite fun and provide a different experience to Bonelli or other places. Riding or racing on different trails/surfaces/venues is one of the things that makes a better rider/racer. Even learning to deal with the heat gives a rider/racer more tricks in their bag for future adventures.

As someone who races all the US Cup races and has raced outside CA as well I feel that the venue was above average. I do admit that Bonelli and Fontana are still two of my favorite venues and rank above Vail, but I am glad I raced this one as I learned some things.

My only complaint is about the jersey cost/design.... but I already posted that on the US Cup facebook post.

8. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    Happens every year - sandbaggers. I raced the US Cup State Championship Cat 3 beginner 2 years ago in Big Bear and came in third to 2 others who should've been in cat 1 or cat 2.

9. noflyzone_allstars

noflyzone_allstars New Member

Yeah the jersey is pretty silly. As the "state championship" race was USA Cycling sanctioned I figured we were competing for the "Bear Jerseys" that are so coveted in road and 'cross. Then looking at the SCNCA (Socal branch of USA Cycling) website there is no mention of this race, any races or mountain biking at all. I don't think there were any "blue shirt" USA cycling officials at the event either (not a bad thing.) I am new to the MTB scene here but did I miss some big sh!t fight between the promoters and USA cycling/SCNCA? Do the promoters just buy insurance from national USAC and ignore SCNCA?

Regardless I had fun at the race. Fast and flowy and nice to "control my own destiny" instead of the 100-man crapshoot in road races.

10. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I *think* I saw a USAC official at registration one of the days in a polo. I've got a really sweet SCNCA District Champs jersey from cyclocross last November, but the last 3 years I've won the Fall/end of season Team Big Bear/US Cup Unification/State Series race and I think only 09 had a bear on it (small on the left sleeve). I forget and don't have any shots of the back.

Last year (2010) I don't even think was "CA State" - it was US Cup Invitational Champion.

(BTW, not passing any opinions or judgement, just sharing what has been on the jerseys the last 2 years.)

11. gest24

gest24 "Factory"

Helicopter Mechanic for the USN
    Last year it was the Invitational/CA State Championships. Depending on where you were from you came home with both titles. Although the champ jersey last year wasn't much better.
    web.jpg

I still had a blast at the event. I do wish it would've been a Bonelli Style turn out since it was my first race back in Socal after deployment and I wanted to get a feel where I was sitting with the guys that usually show up for the Kenda Cups. Vail has some awesome trails and it was nice getting to race on stuff I hadn't ridden in 2 years.

12. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Interesting! That's not what my jersey looks like from the Invitational! Were there 2 separate races? I didn't win the series, just the one-day.

13. SADJ

SADJ New Member

Mine from last year looks the same- and they were "only" $40 instead of $50. But it's a Primal jersey and not Squadra so Justin shouldn't be too upset. I'd pay the extra $10 for Squadra. :)

14. deja vu

deja vu done dirt cheap!

I had to skip this but really wanted to make it, bummed I couldn't attend. I love Vail Lake!! There are so many great ways to put on a race out there trail wise, I prefer it over Bonneli, for sure. More challenging IMHO.

Driving wise from south OC I don't think it is a big deal at all, I almost always go 5 south to the 76 east to 15 north, goes by really quickly (better than Ortega) and good grub options on the return. It takes about an hour to Temecula and then maybe 15 minutes past that, that's not bad is it???
    http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=9...A&vpsrc=6&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=11&via=1&t=h&z=11

Don't get bummed on the people coming down a category, some people are looking for a medal, some people just want to have fun

Of course it's good if you can have both, but that's racing for ya!! :)

15. Fullerton Mike

Fullerton Mike I LOVE BIKES!

I agree with the opening post.. also i felt that there was a lack of energy.. I think the OTH guys have done a good job with the energy. One problem I see is that once the start of the race the racers were gone and we never see them again till the end.... just my thoughts

16. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Yeah, but apparently no one likes racing the 3.5mi lap courses that are used in Olympic style (Pro XCT) races.

17. Fullerton Mike

Fullerton Mike I LOVE BIKES!

True but do you trade out short course for energy and good vibe. Plus good over all prizes? I think about 450 people did every Tuesday night

18. whybother

whybother New Member

the jersey that says "State Champion" in large letters and "US Cup" in small complies with my contention that if I pay for the jersey it should be about my achievement and the event/date not just an advertisement for the promoter. no hard feelings against US Cup Event Management. i like and wear the FREE jersey they gave out for the US Cup West division Champions... if it is FREE as a prize they can put a picture of Scott Tedro on it that says Champion. :)

i am just one guy though and by no means should they change their practice to please me. i don't think i will be winning any of their jerseys next year unless i make huge gains. Ty and Marco were easily beating me by 4 minutes this year and they are both coming up to 35-39 next year. :)

19. whybother

whybother New Member

i am a big fan of the XCO (short course) format, but in the amateur field it appears that i am a minority. i like the idea of more laps on a shorter more challenging course. most amateur racers seem to want to ride in the middle of no-where on fire roads... if i want to do that i go out and do it for free!

20. SADJ

SADJ New Member

Next year's 35-39 group is the new "semi-pro" category. :lol: It's gonna hurt. Actually, I think all the weight I'd have to drop to even think about being competitive next year is gonna hurt more.

I think we should lobby Ty to have a Scott Tedro jersey as a raffle prize at each race. :beer: