US CUP - Mountain Bike Racing Alive and Well in the USA!

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by vlad, Dec 6, 2008.

1. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

We will come and support you!!!! :bang:

So, the rumors are true, the Pros have their own abbreviated version of both East and West???:?:

2009 USA Cycling Pro Cross Country Mountain Bike Tour presented by Sho-Air International:

March 29: U.S. Cup – Fontana, Calif.
    April 19: Sea Otter Classic – Monterey, Calif.
    May 31: Bump N’ Grind – Birmingham, Ala.
    June 13: Carmichael Training Systems Sand Creek International Classic – Colorado Springs, Colo.
    August 8: U.S. Cup – Mount Snow, West Dover, Vt.
    August 15: Yankee Clipper at Windham Mountain, Windham, N.Y.
    September 26: USA Cycling Pro Cross Country Mountain Bike Tour Finals, Las Vegas, Nev.

Does anyone remember, did Sagebrush have SD and DH classes also? :?: We never got to race there.

.....Although the USA Cycling ProXCT will focus solely on professional cross country racing, plans to roll out a gravity-based tour are expected to be announced in the coming weeks.....more :clap::clap::clap:

2. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Wow - incredible! Finally our sport has both an pro/am level national series with the US Cup and a world caliber pro tour with the ProXCT. Now if only Universal Sports, or dare we dream ESPN, agreed to cover ProXCT live on TV?

I'd watch the ProXCT over X-Games any time.

Thank you Scott! I'm proud to wear the Shoair name on my jersey!

3. gest24

gest24 "Factory"

Helicopter Mechanic for the USN
    I'm really really looking forward to getting a bunch of racing under my belt before May (When I head out to the open ocean for 4 months). I appreciate all the hard work the promoters are doing.

Looks like I need to get my USAC permit now!

4. mtbandy

mtbandy New Member

equality

One concern I have is that I saw that races will either be level I, II or III. If not for this being the only "national series" I would say this alone would ensure failure.
    Former nation series' had all races equal.
    While it may please promoters of bigger events to have a higher ranking (points value), it does not serve the racers at all.
    Imagine the racers who get a "national series race" in their turf only to find out nobody bothered to show up because it wasn't worth it. Yes, this happed in the past just this year with the MTB NRC races. Promoters sucked into thinking it was some big deal entered as a III race only to find the extra money they spent did not draw any new racers or any bigger fields.
    I have not yet seen which races are which ranking, but I imagine teams and pros will only be looking for level I and maybe II events (when convenient) to attend.
    If this series is to go off as expected then all the races need to have equal points value. You are not rewarding the promoters for having the money to put up, but instead you are hurting the racers by de-valuing events; their events.

Someone mentioned above about some races not being "national claiber" Hurray!! That makes me so happy to hear. Local races seem to always be better than "national" ones. I am excited to see the series go back to better courses and proven practices of racing on good courses. And I am also glad, as an XC racer, to be free of the bondage (burden) of ski lifts. This is a major step in American racing.

The Sea Otter may be the biggest race, but the best races are yet to be discovered by a national racing audience.

We will be attending these events.

5. mr.plow

mr.plow pushit

does a USA Cycling Racing License work for all national, us cup, and so cal state series races?:?: sorry, im new here.

6. Knuckledragger

Knuckledragger New Member

Yup! Hey I don't have your phone number as my phone is on the blink.....

Shoot me an e-mail

ckasey (at) cohortusa.com

C.K.

7. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Yes!

8. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Is there a final schedule now? I know Scott had posted that Elings was replaced with Col Springs, is that final? Is this info posted somewhere else?

By the way, I, for one, totally appreciate how quickly this was put together and all the hard work you guys have done! :)

9. athomas08

athomas08 New Member

Business Owner
    Home Page:
    This sounds like a great series. I want to attempt the race in San Diego. Sagebrush Safari- sounds fun!

10. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    All of the races in the Series will be fun. Each has its unique character and location. Its a unique opportunity to compete in a national title series almost without leaving the comforts of Southern California. Plus a number of the races also count towards the SoCal State Series (www.teambigbear.com). Definately lining up to be a great season!