US CUP - Mountain Bike Racing Alive and Well in the USA!

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by vlad, Dec 6, 2008.

1. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

The Bonelli date is incorrect in the Velonews article (3/11). If you look on the actual website, the flyer says 3/1.

Not sure what's going on with the Sea Otter date though which they have listed as 4/15. Sea Otter is actually scheduled for 4/16-19.

I believe it is up to the venue promotors (i.e. Don Jackson at Fontana and Mike Hecker at Chamberlin Ranch) where DH/DS/4X courses already exist!!!

2. denmother

3. Padre

Padre New Member

Inhuman Resources
    Is it weird that Team Sho-Air now owns this race series?

4. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    to add to Denmo's post

Neil raced XC sagebrush the 1st year we moved here - he loved and hated the course. It had a nasty road (yes road) climb that broke everyone. We loved the venue and are excited to see it back!!

5. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Why would that be weird?

6. denmother

Bikerumor.com article

Kenda Presents New US Mountain Bike Race Series

posted by Editor - December 8, 2008 - 3pm EST
    [​IMG]
    Just announced over the weekend, Kenda will be presenting an all-new series called the Mountain Bike U.S. Cup, a bi-coastal series of MTB races culminating in a single national championship event. The goal is to promote cycling on a regional level and develop stateside talent, all while providing a national-caliber point ranking and prize system. ​

This series replaces the NMBS (National Mountain Bike Series) and NORBA Nationals of years past. It’ll have two regional series, Kenda Cups East and West, with a final race at Interbike in Las Vegas to determine the overall series winners. If you want the same old press release as everyone else, there’s a link after the break. If you want some nice little tidbits from our inside sources that no one else has, read on.​

For example, the cup will have a Pro and Amateur classifications, with different points/attendance credits for each. Pro winners will receive a “WWF”-style championship belt, Amateurs will receive a series jersey. Special prizes will be awarded by Hayes, Kenda and Specialized, including limited free entries for Under-18 racers at each event. We also know why all the West Coast events are in CA for 2009. Hmmmm…
    Read “more” for details on all this and the race calendar…​

Even though all of the events in the series will be run by individual promoters, the U.S. Cup will post all results from all events online, so you can keep track of your rankings against others in your category. While the East Coast series has a relatively diverse geographic representation, all of the West Coast events are in California for 2009. This is due mainly to the speed with which the U.S. Cup organizers needed to put together the inaugural series and the fact that CA race promoters quickly stepped up with commitments to meet the Cup’s requirements.

Scott Tedro, of Sho-Air, a transportation company and title sponsor of a CA-based mountain bike team, will be Chairman of the new organization. He stepped up to create the series after seeing many top teams and events really struggling to stay afloat in recent years. The MTB U.S. Cup will provide promoters with a little financial relief by taking on some of the marketing efforts as well as providing them with some of the basic line-item killers like shirts, water bottles, signage, etc. In exchange, event promoters must guarantee minimum cash payouts, starting around $1,500 and going up depending on the event, and meet other basic operational guidelines.

POINTS AND CLASS STRUCTURE:

Here’s what the race classifications and requirements will look like. The U.S. Cup is working with USA Cycling to establish an “Elite Pro Tour” within the series, having them compete in 5-6 events, choosing either the East or West series. The catch is, they’ll likely have to race at least one event in the opposite series during the year…the final details are still being worked out.​

For the amateurs, this series will compete with the AMBC calendar, however, the AMBC doesn’t really have an official “Championship” event or crown an overall winner. The upside to the AMBC’s is they tend to have more disciplines (downhill, marathon, super-d, short track, etc.) at each event. Initially, this is what’s on the table:​

US Cup Pro Structure:
    • Create East Coast Champ/West Coast Champ for Kenda Cup Series
    • Best 5 of 6 events, for Pro East Coast Champ/West Coast Champ
    • Final race shootout in Las Vegas at Interbike to crown “Unified Pro US Cup Champ”
    • Equal Cash Payout to Men and Women at final
    Amateur Structure:
    • Best 4 of 6 events for East Coast Champ/West Coast Champ for Kenda Cup Series
    • USAC Categories/Classes Cat #1, #2, #3
    • US Cup Council sets points structure, tracks points, issues invitations to Final
    • Final race in Las Vegas at Interbike to crown “Amateur Unified Class Champions”
    PRIZES AND BONUSES:

There are also a lot of special prizes and bonuses for racing well and registering early:

Hayes Bicycle Group Rider Reward: One finisher (amateur classes 18 and older) at each race will be randomly selected to receive a package to bring him/her to the final in Las Vegas:Airfare, two nights’ hotel stay, badge to attend Interbike, registration for the East/West US Cup Cup Unification race, $250 spending money, Hayes/Kenda photo opportunity and race kit.

Kenda Podium Payback: Kenda will randomly select a class category at each race, and if the male and female finishing (Editor: winning?) are riding Kenda tires, they will receive a check from Kenda refunding the cost of registration for that race.

Specialized Youth Movement: The first 10 U-18 racers to register for each race online at sportsbase.com will have their registration fee comp’ed.

2009 MTB U.S. CUP CALENDAR

Kenda Cup West
    Kenda Cup East
    The basic press release is on VeloNews, and Cycling News has a good interview with Scott Tedro. You can see the letter that apparently started it all here.

7. Scott Tedro is the man! Stop bitchin people this is freaking amazing was this man is doing for the sport of mountain biking.:bang:

8. denmother

9. fast hecky

fast hecky New Member

A couple of things ...

First, while yes most of the events are in So Cal, with the two most northern events being Santa Ynez (mine) and Sea Otter, this is a start.

Scott Tedro, and Tom Spiegle as well as Jim Wannamaker at Kenda should be appluaded, for all the hard work they've done for more than 8 months on this. :clap:

And while yes this is a XC series for the most part, there will be DS and DH events a selected venues like The Dirt Club and Laguna Seca, Sagebrush.

As a former Semi-Pro and now as a promoter, I have worn both hats, so I know of all the hard work it takes to be either, so before wanking too hard, step back, and be happy that there are still those who in these difficult economic times are willing to put their time and money where their mouth is and provide us with the opportunity to go racing once in a while.

So keep it in perspectitive people, there could be no National Series, instead we have one still. :clap:

Hope to see you all at the Dirt Club on New Years Day! :bang:
    http://www.ridesb.com/images/formsmaps/sgbc_memberform.pdf

Mike Hecker - Owner
    SG Productions
    Santa Ynez Valley Classic

10. fast hecky

fast hecky New Member

Rebuild the sport

Nancy, who cares about the Pros? Do you ever see any spectators watching a Pro race? Do fans travel to MTB races to see their idles like they do the Tour of CA?

I had a chance to go UCI Incripted C2 @ SYC this year, and I took a pass. We (the sport) need to look at the new blood, the kids, the beginners and the working class Experts and Sport Class riders, this is the future. Racing needs to be grassroots again the time of the "NCS" days are long gone. Time to re-boot the sport if you will, you know rebuild from the ground up. :steppie:
    Hecky :bang:

Oh that is just so awesome Scott! I'm busting a nut right now laughing so hard! :clap:

Thanks for all the hard work! Keep in touch.

Hecky
    :welcome:

11. Knuckledragger

Knuckledragger New Member

12. fast hecky

fast hecky New Member

Are you ready for the truth?

OK let me try to help out. 1st the easy answer, yes you'll need a USAC licensed to compete as an expert or pro at any of the events on either calendar, but if your a sport or beginner you can use a oneday.

You see USAC has been screwing the pooch (MTBing is the pooch) now really good for about 4 maybe its been 5 years, ever since they ousted Gerard Bisceta (hacked his name) from the USAC helm at Sea Otter. You see Gerard had really been rebuilding the membership numbers of mtn biking quite well. He was a very friendly hands on leader that had a great sense of reasonability.

It is now run by a bunch of roadies with decades old ties ... it's a standard good old boys club. Our membership dollars do nothing but support the higher ups travel to big road events the world over so they can hobnob with their counterparts from other countries governing bodies ...

Back when Gerard was involved he (USAC) hired Team Big Bear and Blue Wolf Events to organize and run the rebirth of the National Championship Series (the 90's heyday series) with the launch of the NMBS. They we're doing great until Gerard was fired. Then the new Road oriented CEO and USAC Board decided to launch the USA Cycling National Calendar and pulled all support of the NMBS and made the opperation of that series as difficult as they could on TBB and Blue Wolf.

The Calendar your asking about is the USA Cycling MTB National Racing Calendar, it is an impractical, geographical mess of a National Racing Calendar as in none of the races are schedlued in a way in which it is possible for any Pro Teams to attend each event or let alone a regional expert team. All of the events on that calendar happening, however I bet many of the UCI points are incorrect.

The Kenda Cup/ US Mtn Cup is another attempt, with the higher ups at USAC kicking and screaming, at rebuilding a truely functional National Series.

So in short there are 2 series, with The Kenda Cup/ US Mtn Cup being a part of the larger impractical USAC MTB NRC.

The Kenda Cup/ US Mtn Cup is the better solution.

Did that help? Doubt it.

I hope I'm not going to be sorry for writing this ... :beer:

Hecky

13. Knuckledragger

Knuckledragger New Member

Hecky,

Thanks for the explanation..... Your a true friend to the mentally retarded. (That being myself.) I have some kind of clue now. I'll guess I will try to do as many of the new series as possible. I am still racing the Nationals though.

Cheers,

C.K.

14. denmother

USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Calendar

Here's a blurb from USAC regarding the not so well known "National Calendar".​

------------------------------------------------------
    USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Calendar

Purposes and Goals of the USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Calendar

1. To recognize and support top-level regional, national and international events and riders through a national mountain bike calendar. The calendar will be ranked according to pro prize purse and discipline. Series rankings will be provided for Pros and professional teams.
    2. To provide professional riders and teams the ability to earn UCI points at domestic events.
    3. To offer racing opportunities across the country for riders at various levels, prize purses, and a series ranking within each discipline calendar.
    4. To provide event organizers the opportunity to elevate their events to a higher level and be an active part in the ‘pipeline’ of events.

Calendar Disciplines

Cross-country: Cross-country (XC), Short-Track Cross-country (STXC), Stage Races
    Gravity: Downhill (DH), Dual Slalom (DS), Mountain Cross (4X), Super D (SD)
    Ultra-Endurance: Marathon (60k-100k), Ultra-Marathon (100k+), 12/24-Hour

15. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Better have some deep pockets especially if you dont live in CO. Plus the 09 calender has 8 event in 5 states with half of them in CO.

Ps this is not aimed at you Denmo,

16. denmother

USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Calendars unveiled for 09

Colorado Springs, Colo. (September 25, 2008)—USA Cycling announced today the 34 races that will comprise the third annual USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Calendars. With the 2008 calendar champions yet to be crowned in the disciplines of cross country and ultra-endurance, USA Cycling is looking toward the future with the announcement of the 2009 Cross Country, Gravity and Ultra-Endurance National Calendars.

The USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Calendars were specifically designed to provide a more accessible opportunity for top-level events in the United States that have not traditionally been part of the national series model. The concept is compatible with a variety of event models and provides professional and elite-level athletes with consistent, top-quality racing opportunities across all disciplines of mountain biking......more

For the complete USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Calendars, click on the links below:

Cross Country: https://www.usacycling.org/forms/mtb/09_MBNCschedule_XC2.pdf
    Gravity: https://www.usacycling.org/forms/mtb/09_MBNCschedule_Gravity2.pdf
    Ultra Endurance: https://www.usacycling.org/forms/mtb/09_MBNC_Schedule_UE2.pdf

17. fast hecky

fast hecky New Member

Thanks, CK.

If we are to rebuild our sport we as racers and promoters need to support the Kenda Cup. Most Kenda Cup venues will host gravity events I bet.

mh

18. denmother

I agree wholeheartedly! That's why I mentioned earlier in the thread that this reminds me a lot of the old Cal State and Am Cup Series (which was for us Amateurs).

And I am very glad that some of the venues will still have DH/DS/4X since we no longer have a series to call our own!!!!:-({|= ;) It will be interesting to see how it unfolds. And, lest I come off as unthankful (heaven forbid) THANK YOU to Sho-Air and everyone who has worked to make this happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

19. fast hecky

fast hecky New Member

Nancy, we're good! So if I go with 3/14&15 are you guys going to make it or are you off to Bootleg?

mh :drunk:

20. Team Sho-Air

Team Sho-Air New Member

Ok, check it out, and spread the word, I told you I would cover all of the basis. Also the USAC press release fails to mention that I have signed a two year commitment. More great announcements to follow, oh and by the way, we dropped our Elings Park race and replaced it with a Colorado Springs race on June 13th.

Tedro

http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=3963