Race Report US CUP #4 - Sycamore Canyon (Video)

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Spartticus, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Spartticus

Spartticus Member

This past weekend's US CUP race at Sycamore Canyon in Riverside was awesome! My first time at this course and I, along w/ my teammates, had a blast! The course was a mix of the good parts of Fontana/Southridge (singletrack) and manageable climbing. It's great to see some technical DH bits thrown in as well to spice up the competition. I've created this video to highlight the difference between normal trail riding pace and race pace, which along with increased speed, brings moving obstacles in the way of other racers!

I know there's a good mix of members here when it comes to riding preferences but I think this video might be interesting for non-racers or beginners who wonder what XC racing involves and develops! For background, I am a CAT2 30-34 racer who has consistently podium'd this year. Enjoy this video!:bang:

2. whybother

whybother New Member

With the way you are blasting by people on course it looks like you might be racing CAT1 soon enough.

3. Spartticus

Spartticus Member

we'll see.... high praise. thanks.

4. Swedeinla

Swedeinla New Member

Art department (show biz)
  5. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Like last year, if you were in one of the first few Cat 2 groups off the line, a 30 minute lap would get you to the Cat3 backmarkers pretty quick since it took almost 25 minutes for all the waves to start...patience, encouraging each other, and passing at just the *right* time were key. Its a faster course than Fontana, and I'm not sure that separating beginners/sport like Fontana would be realistic....yeah, I'm the teammate hiking the preride, but cleaned it during the race...quite a few people taking it cautious through there with a couple of people going down, but I didn't hear or see any ambulances required.

Good job to all those who raced and the City of Riverside is keen on keeping this leg of the series coming back...

Edit...for those who haven't yet had the pleasure of having me annoy the $#!t out of them...I'm the guy with the bells...this race being April Fools, decided to throw on another 1/2 dozen bear bells in addition to the pair that usually hang from my seat.

6. Steve C

Steve C Team Sausages 2012

Special projects manager
    [video=vimeo;39611295]http://vimeo.com/39611295[/video]

You xc guys are silly.
    Very zen, to enjoy the downs, you must first enjoy the ups.

7. Flying Maverick

Flying Maverick New Member

I love this video! Race pace really is so much faster in all aspecs, including downhills and climbs. That's what I like about racing, you can do stuff you never thought would be possible.

I was lucky to have one of the leading fast Cat 2 guy pass me just before this section (could have been you?), and he was great at clearing the way for us as there were many hike-a-bikers. I cleaned it fast both times and won my age group in Cat 3! It was an awesome course.

8. Spartticus

Spartticus Member

RAD! that's what it's all about. As you race more and see faster people pass you (don't worry - there's always someone faster!) you'll start to see and copy their lines and soon enough you're the one in CAT2 directing lap traffic while trying to stay out of the way of CAT1!

9. barbanegra

barbanegra New Member

I don't think that part is that bad, I mean is mountain biking, you're not gonna be able to ride downhill at 50+ mph. For someone racing at least once a month that should be a piece of cake. I ride once or twice a month and cleared it.
    Btw this was my first race ever, I went to see where I was, what to expect in a race and my goal was just to make under 30' laps regardless of place.
    I met my goal, I know what to expect now and I know where I am. I don't think I'm gonna "race" again until I put some decent training.
    Overall it was fun and a good experience

10. mr.plow

mr.plow pushit

awesome day out racing! running with the Cat 1 35-39 group meant i was riding in the back alone for the majority of the time. its pretty crazy how fast these guys are. the coarse was fast and fun.

any links to pictures?

11. Spartticus

Spartticus Member

12. barbanegra

barbanegra New Member

I'm in the same AG and the top guys in CAT3 were doing 26' laps. I can't imagine how fast CAT1 was

13. hmanstylez

hmanstylez New Member

14. Red Hawk

Red Hawk New Member

goverment contractor, screenwriter (well hobbie un
    I remember you, I was racing in your class. I had on the PAA/REMAX Kit. I saw you with the go pro camera on. That course was pretty sick. I loved it.

15. Spartticus

Spartticus Member

Yeah? Just look for the black REVO kit. That course was pretty damn rad!

16. osmarandsara

osmarandsara Active Member

Great video of 'Rattlesnake'..........I'm glad that this year, the race promoter did not remove any rocks or natural features from that trail.....:clap:

17. james_95

james_95 New Member

still running the bell!!...ugh, why do you think I moved up to Cat 1 :) J/K, nice work out there Daniel, good to see you making the podium this year. At this rate I'm sure I'll see you in the Cat 1 lineup for 2013.

18. james_95

james_95 New Member

still running the bell!!...ugh, why do you think I moved up to Cat 1 :) J/K, nice work out there Daniel, good to see you making the podium this year. At this rate I'm sure I'll see you in the Cat 1 lineup for 2013.

19. KonaDawgDeluxe

KonaDawgDeluxe REKE/DMC

construction estimator/Project MGR
    Nice video. Thanks for posting. I'm glad Sycamore canyon was chosen last year- and again this year- for a race venue! Love this little gem and less than 10 minutes from downtown Riverside.

-Cheers.

20. whybother

whybother New Member

i put in a few 25 minute laps in CAT1. seems anyone in CAT3 with a 26 minute lap should likely be upgraded...

also, kind of neat to have Strava to analyze a race afterwards, I hold the KOM for that descent now.:)