Upgrading to Campagnolo Question

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by xxSpokesxx, Jun 18, 2009.

1. xxSpokesxx

xxSpokesxx New Member

Video Game Developer
    So I managed to acquire a near complete Campagnolo Record 10 groupset as a hand me down...score! This is a considerable upgrade from my old Shimano 105.

I have a cassette, front/rear derailleur, crankset and chain. Obviously I need to get appropriate shifters (now discontinued...) Would I need to buy a campy bottom bracket and appropriate brakes as well? Just trying to figure out what all I'd need to make the transition any help would be great!

2. qua77ro

qua77ro New Member

What crankset is it? Ultratorque or square taper. Record 10 was available under both standards.

Brakes, you can run your current 105 brakes or any other brakes that you'd like although the pull ratio on the campy is designed for campy calipers, the difference is pretty minute. That said, make sure that you get campy compatible brake cables, the heads are smaller.

Again for brakes, campy brakes don't have a cam to open up the arms for switching/removing wheels, so there is a release built into the brifters themselves. It's located at the top of the lever towards the pivot point and it's a slider toggle.

see the indent towards the top of the carbon lever? it slides to release the brake.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Note campy calipers don't have the cam
    [​IMG]

3. supralight

supralight New Member

money tree in backyard
    sweet calfee!

4. qua77ro

qua77ro New Member

Hehe good eye.
    [​IMG]

5. xxSpokesxx

xxSpokesxx New Member

Video Game Developer
    Nice bike! I honestly don't know if the crankset is ultratorque or square taper. When I get home how would I be able to tell? I assume the answer to this will dictate what bottom bracket I need to get?

I'll just buy some campy brakes. Am I correct in assuming that getting any type of record brakes will work since you said I could use my 105s?

Finally, since I better snatch up some record 10 shift/brake levers is there a difference (except price) between the ergo and "regular" versions? I assume I better pick up some appropriate cables and housing as well.

Thanks for all the help. Just want to make sure I order the right parts since I always seem to overlook something!

6. qua77ro

qua77ro New Member

Crankset is easy to tell if it's square taper. The cranks will bolt onto the bottom bracket spindle vs slide onto the ultra torque cups. Ultratorque cranks use outboard bearings much like Shimano/FSA standards.

Example of a square taper campy crankset
    [​IMG]

Ultratorque cranks
    [​IMG]

If you have square taper cranks, you will need a square taper crankset. Only thing to keep an eye out for is the thread pitch on your bottom bracket shell. It will be english or italian. The same is true for ultratorque bb cups.

Brakes... you can run your 105s for now or upgrade to campy, doubt you will see a significant difference there for most usage.

As for the shift levers, yes there are variations. If you have a QS front derailleur, you'll want try and get the QS compatible levers. You don't have to though, standard ultra/ergo levers will work as well.

QS derailleur
    [​IMG]

Forgot to mention if you're planning on using the same wheelset you're going to have issues with the cassette. Campy cassettes won't fit on a shimano hub. You'll either need to replace the hub or get a new wheelset.

7. xxSpokesxx

xxSpokesxx New Member

Video Game Developer
    Thanks a ton!

My lady back home looked and informed me I have a square taper crankset. So...I assume I need to get a compatible campy bottom bracket spindle? Currently I have a Shimano 4-taper. Quick search tells me the brands are not compatitble. Could you perhaps link what type of bottom bracket spindle I'd need? Not much luck finding it on my end.

I have a Cannondale so does this automatically mean I have English thread pitch? Sorry, not very savy in this area of the bike...but I'm learning! How would one tell?

I do not have a QS derailleur so what type of shifters should I ultimatley get?

And thanks for the reminder regarding the rear hub/wheelset. I would have totally forgotten that. Lucky for me I'd like to upgrade the wheelset.

Seriously, I really appreciate your help! Many thanks!

8. Pickettt

Pickettt New Member

Not entirely true, American Classic makes a 10-speed cassette splined to fit Shimano hubs, but with Campy spacing. Normally, I wouldn't suggest mixing components, but it works well and doesn't cost 400 bucks like a Record cassette.

9. qua77ro

qua77ro New Member

You're correct and there are even other alternatives than AC's setup. But as far as running the cassette that he has, he simply needs a new rear wheel with the proper hub body or replace the one he has now.

10. qua77ro

qua77ro New Member

Depending on your budget there are numerous options. You're simply looking for campagnolo square taper compatible bottom bracket of the width for your bottom bracket. I don't know what the bb specifications are for your frame so I can't tell you specifically what you will need.

For the shifters, you should be able to run either QS or standard 10spd ergo/ultra levers. No reason to go QS (only applies to the front derailleur anyway).