Upgrading a 1994 GT FS HELP!

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by jdkeller, Jul 15, 2010.

1. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

Tennis shoes would be fine for just starting off. A lot of us use "clipless" shoes and pedals -- the shoes lock into the pedal with a cleat (releases with a twist of the foot, but not during pedaling). Sounds scary at first but it provides a solid connection to the bike depending on your style of riding.

You might pick up a pair of cycling gloves from Don's or REI (or your preferred shop). Especially in this heat gloves can help keep your grip on the handlebars. I like the fingerless gloves with gel padding in the palms.

Buy a decent helmet from a major manufacturer. Often helmets are much cheaper online (jensonusa.com, performancebike.com, nashbar.com) than in shops. But you can't try them on...

Find a saddle that fits your sit bones. Generally the soft, squishy gel saddles that look super comfy end up being hell on a longer ride because of numbness and chafing. WTB makes saddles with a "love channel" cut-out for your precious blood vessels and their saddles seem to agree with a lot of folks.

The trick to summer riding is to get out early (read: daybreak). I fill my hydration bladder with ice if it's really hot.

Definitely check out Claremont Wilderness Park (5-mile fireroad loop at Mills/Baldy Rd), Marshall Canyon in La Verne (fun singletrack), and Bonelli Park in San Dimas (great beginner riding, mix of fireroad and singletrack). You are also close to Southridge, a popular downhill/XC/super-d race venue, so check that out if you get a chance. If you hang around at races and ask questions you can learn a lot.

Don's is a good shop, I've always been happy with how quickly they're able to finish work there.

2. jdkeller

jdkeller New Member

College & Construction
    The bike came with the clip pedals. But I don't like those. I was talking to a guy in Arizona at a mountain bike shop and he said those can be dangerous. I'm having regular platforms put on but I will keep the clip pedals too just in case. Thanks for the trails.

For the easy mostly flat trails is it ok to wear no helmet? Obviously it's good to have but I think I only need one if I'm hitting the jumps and going downhill.

3. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    never mind

4. jdkeller

jdkeller New Member

College & Construction
    Just got the bike back. It will have to do for now. I was looking at all the new FS bikes like cannondale and stuff. After I pay off some bills I'll be buying one.

5. FunctionMode

FunctionMode New Member

In regard to your helmet question, always wear a helmet when riding. I fallen on some pretty easy stuff because I wasn't paying attention, I was being stupid, or the terrain changed more drastically than it looked. You never know when you're going to crash.

Just wear the helmet, it can be annoying at first, but it'll probably save your life and after a few rides you wont even notice it's on. There's no reason not to wear a helmet IMO

6. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    Two words:

Money Pit.

7. Will.E.King

Will.E.King New Member

Plumber
    Helmets are so cool & lite now a days. Must wear them. Never see anyone not wearing them.
    Clip on pedals going very fast down hill not good. But, for cross country cruising very helpful. I have them only on my road bike.
    Hey, Jonathan
    Lets go to Marshall Canyon tomorrow 5:30pm I'll be there. Your so close, I could even pick you up.

8. jdkeller

jdkeller New Member

College & Construction
    Thanks for the helmet suggestion.

I might be able to make 530. I don't have a helmet though. Only my dirt bike one and it's too hot for that. I will still go though. I'll pm you my number.

9. eruizela

eruizela mountain bike addict

Realtor
    Im with all the detractors, your better off getting a used bike then have to put all that cash in a money pit.

My first mtn bike was an 94 GT backwoods that I used to ride up in Snow Summit. I remember wanting an RTS because they where so cool back them, that was 16 years ago!!!

Todays $800-1000 new bikes are way more advanced than what was available in the 90's.

10. jdkeller

jdkeller New Member

College & Construction
    Yea I hear ya. Now I just need to read up on what FS will suit me best. Is there a thread that explains the different types of bikes and their uses? I see in the classifies the different sections.

I dont want to start a thread if I dont have to. Thanks guys.

11. unclepudding

unclepudding Fueled by Frosted Flakes

Derivatives Trading
    XC - Light, agile, designed for minimal obstacles, great uphills
    DH (downhill) - Beefier, more travel, generally heavier, slack geometry, suck to pedal uphill
    FR (freeride) - More travel, designed to jump off crazy crap, steeper geometry than DH bikes, suck to pedal uphill
    AM (All mountain) - A sprinkle of XC, a dash of FR, a pinch of DH and shazam. Not as good at XC than a lighter, dedicated bike, nor as good as the others in their respective areas, but pretty good at all. Easy to climb, easy to descend, easy to have fun.

My bike now is an XC bike (24 lbs), but my next will definitely be an AM bike.

12. Will.E.King

Will.E.King New Member

Plumber
    Thanks, got your #. I'll call you around Noon.
    I do have a few extra nice bike helmets if you like to wear one or not. Ether way.

13. Will.E.King

Will.E.King New Member

Plumber
    I rode my Alum. Frame 24 speed Mt. bike for about 15yrs. Paid about $300. at Target.
    (No rear shock) Never any problems other than replacing the front forks a few times with better used ones. I keep it as a extra bike now.

14. jdkeller

jdkeller New Member

College & Construction
    Sounds like an all mountain will suit me best. I want to be able to use it for simple stuff if I go one rides with older folks but also get down with it and hit some ~20 foot jumps. I'm 6'1 and about 185lbs. Would. Large frame be best? Also, what I the price range I'm looking at? I'd like to keep it down to $2000 if possible. Thanks for the good descriptions!
    Thanks Mike!

15. jdkeller

jdkeller New Member

College & Construction
    Sorry for all the grammar errors. I'm on my phone.

16. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

I bought a 2009 mongoose teocali for $899 from performance and its a nice FS AM bike.....Ive been pretty impressed with it for the price

17. jdkeller

jdkeller New Member

College & Construction
    Ive had bad experiences with mongoose #-o

18. sc_nomad

sc_nomad New Member

engineer
    ride what you have and see where it takes you. If you get bit by the bug you can justify another bike...and if you can only have one, i'd go with the Santa Cruz Nomad. If you get bit hard, you'll have the nomad and a light XC bike...and if you're drunk off the koolaid like iam you'll also be looking at a 29er LOL.

19. sc_nomad

sc_nomad New Member

engineer
    oh, and they do make clamp-on rear disc brake adapters for old frames if you choose to go down that path...but as others have mentioned...it's not worth it.

20. jdkeller

jdkeller New Member

College & Construction
    29er? I will look into the Nomad. I want one for sure. I used to MB when I was young with my dad. And since I sold the dirt bike I need something to get the adrenaline flowing. :)
    I think I will just stick with what I got. Thanks