Upgrading a 1994 GT FS HELP!

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by jdkeller, Jul 15, 2010.

1. jdkeller

jdkeller New Member

College & Construction
    I want all of your opinions on this. My knowledge is very limited when it comes to this stuff since I am new. But I inherited a 1994 GT RTS-2 FS. I have a lot of questions:

1. Can I upgrade the fork to a Fox or equivalent? If so, how do I know which one.

2. Same question but rear shock.

3. Can the stock wheel hubs be switched out and have disks installed?

4. Can I get the nice new handlebars to fit on the bike?

Any help is appreciated.

Here is a picture:
    GT.jpg

2. FunctionMode

FunctionMode New Member

I don't know enough about suspension setups to help you there, but I can help with your other 2 questions.

The wheel hubs can be switched out to accept disks, but your frame doesn't have the mounts. Basically, you can't convert to disk brakes.

We'll need to know the specs of the new handlebars in order to say if they'll go on without having to buy anything else, but most likely they'll go right on.

My advice is just ride it as is for now. You say you are new(I assume to biking) so ride this, learn, and enjoy yourself. As you progress you'll know what upgrades you want.

3. jdkeller

jdkeller New Member

College & Construction
    Thanks. The rear shock is wierd because it goes through the frame.

But you are right about the frame mounts for the discs. Never thought of that. Do people cut and weld ever to do stuff like this?

4. fatguy1

fatguy1 Active Member

owner of auto detail co.
    dood get some good pads , make sure everything is lubed ,make sure tires are good ,and ride the crap out of that GT....well thats what i would do

5. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

its a 100mm fork looks to be 1 1/8 so a fork shouldn't be a problem. Theres no disk tabs on the rear but theres nothing wrong with running a bb7 or somehting up front and a good v brake in the rear. I ve seen plenty of people do it. As for rear shock your pretty much screwed unless you luck out on craigslist or ebay.

6. jdkeller

jdkeller New Member

College & Construction
    That's what I will definitely do at first. Just worried that it won't handle what I throw at it.
    Ok. I may do the handlebars for sure then. I called a lbs the other day and they said the rear shock might be too outdated. I'm going to bring the bike in today. For brakes, how do the pads handle? If they are sufficient I can always just leave them.
    Thanks.

Thanks for all your responses.

7. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I spent a few years riding a GT RTS, with a whopping 2-3/4" of rear suspension. The suspension action of that frame is so bad that no matter what shock you put on it, it feels like crap when you pedal. The upgraded shock for that frame was made by Noleen. I had one - it still sucked. After upgrading to a GT STS in '96, I rode that RTS again, and I can't believe how badly it sucked.

It's not going to work with discs. Heck, that frame was designed for cantilever brakes, so even upgrading to linear pull (V) brakes is a big plus for stopping.

The fork that came on that bike had only 80 mm of travel if I recall correctly. And it had no disc mounts. Considering it's been sitting this long and probably hasn't been serviced lately, the elastomers in that fork are probably hard as a rock. I doubt even servicing it would help.

To be brutally honest, there's a reason why you got it for free. Keep the bike as is for a grocery getter or bar hopper, and the money you would have spent on it toward another bike. Even a $350 hardtail from your local bike shop would perform worlds above that bike. And there are no parts on that bike that you'd really want to reuse on another build. Don't waste your money on that thing.

If you want to ride the bike until you do save up some cash, replace the brake pads. The old pads are hard as a rock. They're useless. The rest of the bike will be plenty strong, except maybe the chain. You see...this is where you start pouring money into a bike just to make it rideable - not even into upgrades. Ride it a few times and cut bait and get another bike.

8. jdkeller

jdkeller New Member

College & Construction
    Not what I wanted to hear but thanks for being honest. Can I at least get the suspension rebuilt? Because I know the front shocks are shot for sure.

9. Neccros

Neccros Technically Canadian

Engineer
    Try Garage Works in Irvine... They have a lot of older Rock Shox parts and might be able to help you out.

10. Deadweight

Deadweight older, not much wiser.

I gave a buddy my old RTS-1 probably 10 years ago and he's still ridin that thing!

11. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Here's a website that might help you out: http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/
    I've purchased from them over the years to continually rebuild the suspension on my 1996 GT LTS-1. Might have many parts that you need if you want to spend the $$. But that's the really big question. Since its inherited, your threshold for $$ might be low.

1. Fork can be upgraded. I'd go with one that has V-brake posts in addition to a disc mount. Gonna cost several hundred $$. Fixing the fork, as long as its elastomers, shouldn't be a problem per the other posters. Elastomers in all shapes, sizes, ratings are plentiful, so even if the exact replacements can't be found, you can get something pretty darn close.

2. Gonna be tough to find a short-stroke shock that sets up like the one on that bike. Path is best bet or looking at other, current manufacturers to see if there's a comparable style shock in use.

3. I'd stay away from the weight/cost of disks. You can retrofit the rear with a rube-goldberg setup and same with the front with new forks. If you went disk, you'd end up replacing the integrated shift/brake levers....difficult to find in 8 speed. When they break, you'll end up with Alivio or choose to upgrade. A nice Mavic rim with XT-level non-disc hubs can be had for a few hundy....

4. Easiest upgrade possible.

If you plan on riding this thing a bunch, you're going to spend $$ on parts...price out how much it would take to replace, and then how much it would take to rebuild the entire drivetrain. That'll tell you when the one simple, small part that breaks cascades into spending four figures...I'm about there myself.

Good luck...and my advice would be to convert this to a commuter.

12. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Yes, you can have them rebuilt. Keep in mind that having them serviced by a shop will run you at least $50-70. Again, you're compounding your costs into this bike.

If you're remotely mechanically inclined, I'd try doing it yourself to save some coin toward your next bike. Here's the service info for that fork. If I recall correctly, it should be a Mag 10. http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/Manuals/mag21.pdf

And for those who think I'm too harsh about this bike, remember, I rode one for several years. I even rode the DH trails on it at Big Bear back in the day. It was even ridden around the Fullerton Loop a hundred or so times along with many other local OC trails. First thing I did to mine was put a shorter stem and wide riser bars. While that seems normal now, people thought I was nuts back then for wanting such things. Ironic, huh?

If this were an LTS, my tune would be a little different. But this RTS was GT's first suspension effort, and it didn't work (although a lot of suspension designs of that era were also really bad).

13. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

There is no modern shock that will fit this frame. Even if you could fit the best shock in the world on it, the performance will still be bad. The suspension design of the RTS is inherently bad. You really have to ride one to understand. But it looks like you can still buy those Noleen shocks: http://shop.noleenj6.com/category.s...65305610F8766B502E3.qscstrfrnt02?categoryId=7

This picture shows the shock area of the RTS I built up for my girlfriend in around 1997 (note the V-brakes) using the upgraded Noleen shock. Note the short travel and how the shaft goes through a narrow section of the frame. The second photo shows how narrow it is. The blue frame is not mine, but it shows how the shock is positioned, along with the goofy linkage design.

Attached Files:

14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

You can polish a turd......but at the end of the day it is still a turd.....although nice and shiney.

15. jdkeller

jdkeller New Member

College & Construction
    Will look into it. Thanks
    Good to hear!
    Thanks. If I wanted I could dump money into it. But hearing that it has a poor design no I'd rather not. My dad raved about this bike. But that figures. He hasnt rode in ten years. lol
    Thanks for the link. I don't have any of those rock shock tools to do the job though...
    Thans for the pics. That raer shock is pricey! Especially since the bike is so old. But it's still an option.
    Tue. Just didn't expect this to be a turd!

Im headed to the lbs in a bit. From what I'm gathering, I'm better off getting the bike into it's original condition and just using it as is for the time being.

16. fatguy1

fatguy1 Active Member

owner of auto detail co.
    dont get discaouraged bro just get it going and make sure its safe to ride and ride it till the wheels fall off......maybe not the best bike but its still a ridable bike so go out and enjoy it......

17. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Before I rode anything else, it was the greatest bike in the world to me. Heck, it's what started my addiction to riding mountain bikes. The Trek mtb I had before that doesn't count - and I really try to forget about it. I wanted to quit riding because of that bike. But riding that old RTS got me hooked.

But as fatguy said, make it the best you can for as little money as you can, and ride the piss out of it. You'll have fun just riding, and you'll appreciate your next bike that much more.

I'm not dissing the bike in that you shouldn't ride it, I'm just trying to emphasize that you don't want to put much money into it. No matter what bike you're riding, you'll have fun.

18. jdkeller

jdkeller New Member

College & Construction
    Agreed^

So I just got back from dropping it of at Don's, a lbs. They said mostly everything is fine. They are going to do a full tune up. And I'm getting new tubes and new pedals. Should be ready for a ride after this. It will be ready Monday.

What do you guys wear for shoes and helmets and gear? I have a camelback. And some stuff from my dirt bike like gloves, shorts, jersey, and chest protector.

19. jcw

jcw New Member

yeah, I've got one
    Stiff soled shoes, grippy for your flats.
    If you're bombing hills, you might wear the chest protector.
    If you're riding cross country, leave it at home, especially in this heat.
    A XC helmet or fullface depending on what you're riding.
    I don't downhill, so I leave the full face for the bmx track.
    Light colored clothing in the heat, it'll make a big difference in how you feel.
    Lot's of water, again, it's really hot out.
    Have fun.

20. jdkeller

jdkeller New Member

College & Construction
    Thanks. Can't wait to get out there. This heat is a bummer.