Upgrade Components or Whole Bike?

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by mrjonger, Jul 18, 2011.

1. mrjonger

mrjonger New Member

I bought a Scattante R330 earlier in the year for commuting. I haven't been thrilled about the performance, but I figured I'm only really using to condition for mountain biking. But I'm on this thing for about 75 to 100 miles a week commuting and I'm thinking I'm going to start riding it on the weekends I don't feel like mountain biking.

I know it's a cheap bike and the techs at Performance are saying (1) give it until 1,500 miles to break the bike in and (2) if I still don't like it, I'm better off getting a new bike.

The shifters/brakes aren't really meant to be used from the drops and the chain has a tendency to pop to another gear or get off the rings completely when standing up or shifting multiple gears quickly - even right after tightening the lines. So I'm thinking of upgrading shifters, derailleurs, crankset, and cassette.

Is it worth it do this? Or are the techs right - the bike is a POS.

2. XTC29er

XTC29er New Member

Buyings an inexpensive bike and upgrading will always cost you more in the long run than putting up the cash for the goods on the first go around

3. XLPARAGON

XLPARAGON Member

A little of this and that
    Are the techs working at the store that you bought the bike from? If so there sounds to be a bit of disconnect between the sales staff and the techs....
    I have not had any experience with the SORA but it sounds like the derailleurs are not adjusted correctly. I would ride it some more after having it tuned by somebody else though.

4. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

I have a good hunch about what's wrong with your bike. Check the rear derailleur hanger for alignment before buying a whole new drivetrain or bike. Those sometimes get bent (in the box when shipping to store) and cause all the shifting issues you are having.

IMO, you should've went single speed or internal gear hub. I was eyeing the Charge Plug & Mixer the other day. :D

5. mrjonger

mrjonger New Member

Thanks everyone, sounds like I need to check the rear deraileur hanger. It would be really disappointing if this is the case, I bring this bike into Performance approximately every two/three weeks to get the cables tightened (free lifetime adjustments at Performance with bike purchases).

Regarding the sales/tech relation, it's the same store...but the sales guy didn't seem all that well versed and it didn't help that this is my first road bike. The techs on the other hand, seem very helpful and genuinely seem to care. I think I will be upgrading the shifters if I keep the bike though, I would like to be able to shift gears when on the drops.

Regarding single speed, maybe one day, but not in my current form haha.

I'm not too worried about selling this bike and getting a new one, even if I took a 50% markdown in selling this, it's a few hundred bucks and I did get the benefits of using this bike for a few months (not much more than if I had renewed my gym membership instead).

6. Heyitsdave

Heyitsdave Member

That is not too bad of a bike. No reason in the world it should be having the issues you are having. Maybe have someone with a smidge more knowledge scope it out without the option of selling you a new bike as a fix?

7. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    If you have the SORA components and shifting is bad, do as the above mentioned..check drlr hanger. I had SORA 8spd on my old Trek and never had a problem shifting. this may sound stupid, but keep the chain lubed, but not over lubed. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

8. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    The going to be the most expensive component to upgrade, Shimano 105 shifters alone will run you about $350.

It might be better to just sell the bike or return the bike (since they have a satisfaction guarantee) and buy a new bike.

9. mrjonger

mrjonger New Member

Well, the derailleur hanger is fine and the bike looks to have been tuned just fine. This is looking like user error, I think I just need to be smoother. It's just a bit annoying sometimes when I just want to put the hammer down but I gotta ease up a bit (left turns with oncoming traffic, beating a yellow). Doesn't help people my weight are generally pushing a 158cm bike and not a 148cm bike.

10. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I'd say you may be suffering from Upgrade-a-titus. It's a common ailment around these parts. Just ride the bike as much as you want to and then a little more. It's an entry level bike and not a bad deal for the price but if you find you still don't care for it after a few more months look at complete bikes, you'll get a far better deal. I'd recommend something around a 105 or Ultegra groupo or Sram Rival or Force groupo,s.