upgrade advice

Discussion in 'The Market Place' started by mco804, May 9, 2007.

1. mco804

mco804 New Member

you guys make very good points. Thanks again for all your help. I guess i'll just put the money away for now untill I know more of what I want. But damnnnnnnnn its hard when the upgrade bug is all over you, lol

2. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I completely agree with about everything above (excpet that newbies shouldn't buy high-end bikes - buy the best you can afford, I think).

The question that I didn't see asked, is why do you want to drop coin on a new bike? Why didn't you buy a couple models higher in the line-up if you at least had a hint that you suffer from upgraditis? Oh well...water under the bridge, they say.

By the way, another safe area to drop weight that is rarely mentioned is the rear cassette. An XT cassette can also drop a quarter to a half pound (I forgot exactly).

But honestly, you could probably drop three pounds off the bike and barely be able to notice the weight difference.

Just enjoy the ride! :beer:

3. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    I don't appreciate you talking about me like this. It's not my fault the clips were so tight!

4. mco804

mco804 New Member

one more question for you guys. My wife has a 07 rockhopper. She is very new to riding and keeps hitting her shins on the pedals.If I get platform pedals, would that be easier on her shins then the razor sharp one she has on now?

5. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

aren't platform/flat pedals what she has now? nothing you can really do to avoid the shin burger except by wearing some sort of shin protection. Something light like soccer shin guards would do the job

6. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Or she could go clipless and then the pedals wouldn't hit her except in the calves when she's walking (that still happens to me about 1-2 a month).

But, if she's got metal flat pedals, plastic platforms may help. DH pedals would probably just make it worse.

7. mco804

mco804 New Member

got it, thanks

8. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Well the first thing to start with is to get rid of all that low end Shimano stuff and upgrade to SRAM, go with new crankset, cassette,chain,bottom bracket, derailuer, cables and shifters. After that you really need a super light set of wheels for a hardtail because as everyone knows, hardtails are only good for racing. Pick up some American Classics or Spinergy xcylones, should be able to get a used set for around 6 bills. And you'll need some good discs to stop those fast rolling wheels so I suggest again you stay light and get the Magura SL's the ones with the carbon levers. Next forget what these characters say about carbon. Hell, it never let them down yet and it's so bling bling. Get carbon bars, stem, bottle cage and anything else that'll lighten the bike. Next you'll need a nice fork for such a nice bike, I highly recommend the Fox Terra Logic 100. Again you can get a new one for around 8 bills or you might find one used for around 6??? Pedals of course have to be those Crank Brother Ti ones, real nice and only 300 bucks. Tires? Got to give the heads up to Schwalbe, might not be the best, but they will cost more then most, so they must have something going for them. Remember don't skimp, you're now a mountain biker and you deserve the best. I'm thinking this should run you no more then 3000 to 3500?

JK, listen to Dstepper, he's real old and knows everything.

9. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Except where his glasses are.

10. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    You forgot to tell him that as soon as he gets the Fork in send it directly to Push Industries for tuning.
    And you forgot lights! He'll need HID, the priceyer the better.

11. Waldo

Don't forget the full face helmet and full body armor for those hot summer XC rides. Everybody knows body armor shades you & keeps you cool.

Combine it with pink Lycra shorts, roadie jersey unzipped to the waist, and striped tube socks, and nobody will even notice the bike.

12. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:

Yeh make fun of me, where the support...old and now near blind without my scripts. Come with me Sunday and help me find them. Show me the love brother.

Dean

13. Waldo

And I probably still couldn't keep up with you, which takes away the motivation of trying to find them & keep 'em for myself. (insert evil laugh here)

14. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:

My friend you have no idea, I am almost always the slowest rider. Every else is hammering and I am stopped taking pictures of bugs and stuff. Any ride I post is a no one left behind and the people I ride with are way patient...they have to be or they would not ride with me. Don't be be put off join us.

Dean

15. mco804

mco804 New Member

funny thing is 3500 sounds kind of a lot but then again, I spend pretty damn close to that racing every month:lol:
    as far as picking the better bike, You can always find better out there so I thought this would be the perfect bike for me. Entry level or not, I had no clue what considered an entry level except for components, but then again I can always upgrade components. so if I upgrade components would that not make it an entry level???? After lots of reading I finally figured out most of my riding is consider AM. Now I have something to work on to figure out what fits best for me. LOL
    You guys gave me a lot of input so thanks again

16. Waldo

I would be the bug.

mco - best thing I can suggest is to fight the upgrade urge for now & just ride. Ride with some cool people & try their bikes, or if you really wanna dig in, then go to a shop & demo some. If you wanna spend that $3500, you could certainly get a heck of a bike. Otherwise, just have fun with what you have, and don't second-guess it all.

Now if only I was capable of taking my own advice!

My name is Waldo, and I'm an upgradeaholic. I've been clean for...umm...4 days now...
    #-o

17. mco804

mco804 New Member

I hear ya. I'm just going to wait till I get more experiance and know exactly what I want. For some reason though I keep thinking new handlebar and stem for better fit. Ok i'll stop now

18. Waldo

Well, yeah - those items make perfect sense. OK, and maybe some grips, a seat, and tires. Ahh, damn, see how this goes!? JUST SAY NO! (or open a line of credit at your LBS)

19. 0gravity

0gravity New Member

Editor, Windpower Monthly (trade magazine)
    That's brings up an interesting point. If you've got a hunch you might need a stem and handlebar, that might suggest you were sold a bike without it being properly fit to you. It could be worth going to your LBS and making sure it's fit properly. Small adjustments on seat height, stem position can make a difference in how you feel and ride. If they didn't put you and the bike on a trainer and watch you carefully, they haven't done you any favors. Fit is so important to get right before you start putting tons of miles down. But take their advice too. What feels too leaned out and low for you, might be the right position.

As far as components, I say just go out and ride it like you stole it and when stuff breaks or irritates you, replace it with quality components.

Good luck, happy trails,

20. Waldo

I've had stuff irritate me into replacing it when I wasn't even in the same zip code as my bike!

\\:D/