Updated info on Cleveland Forest Closures: Maple Springs/MW now OPEN

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by genusmtbkr5, Dec 18, 2007.

1. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    I spoke with Debra Clarke yesterday morning and they began to hydromulch the closed areas. Please be aware that the closures will be strictly inforced during this process. Here is links to the Cleveland National Forest and closure map.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/news/2007/12/hydromulching.shtml

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/conditions/images/closure-santiago.pdf

New Info NOV 4, 2008: Sections will be re-opening NOV 10, 2008! Please go to post #85 here: http://www.socaltrailriders.org/for...es-re-opens-monday-nov-10-a-5.html#post406971 to get the latest. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2008
  2. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Thanks Gene!

You should post this up on it's own so riders don't get confused when they see the opening thred.

3. cjwally

cjwally I love techno.

Intersting info. Thanks for the link.

4. slayer

slayer New Member

so according to the map we can ride to within about a mile of the motorway on the maindivide right? so up blackstar to almost the motorway, there are some good climbs in there.
    is this right or am i reading the map wrong? just want to make sure before i do this. thanks

5. Winger

Winger Member

We rode from Beek's to Eagle (Just before Motorway) along Main Divide on Saturday, and there was a giant tractor that was crushing vegetation. It had huge rollers attached to a cable that it would lower down the hill, then it would move the tractor forward a little, then pull the roller back up. Very cool to watch. I wish I had a picture.

6. genusmtbkr5

Chris, I'd call the FS just to be sure. They update that map every Tues. With the Hydromulching, it may extend the closure.

7. genusmtbkr5

8. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    The planes were hitting STT yesterday. I watched them drop a couple of loads right on the trail. You can see the green on the hillsides.

9. genusmtbkr5

Please check before you go

Just a little reading here about the hydromulch process that is currently going on:

Aerial applications of hydromulch are expected to begin on December 17, 2007. Flight hours are from 08:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. seven days/week. A holiday break is planned for December 23 until December 27 and operations should continue on December 28. If the weather cooperates, and there are no delays, operations should be completed during the first part of January.
    National Forest System lands within the Santiago Fire area remain closed to all public entry. The Cleveland National Forest has chosen to close the area affected by the Santiago Fire to protect the public from falling and rolling debris and to prevent further resource damage on lands without a vegetative cover.
    During times when hydromulch is being applied by fixed-wing aircraft and a large helicopter, the area will be especially dangerous for anyone near the application areas. Also, after the hydromulch has been applied, walking, biking, driving, or horseback riding on the hydromulch will reduce its effectiveness.
    Once the hydromulch is disturbed, water can get underneath and undermine the protective mat and winds can further compromise the objectives for soil protection. Forest protection officers will patrol the area and issue citations if necessary.
    For additional information on hydromulching, forest closures, maps of treatment areas or other projects from the BAER report, please visit: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/conditions/firestorm.shtml

Check before you go for updated information.
    • Cleveland NF offices are open Monday to Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    • For the Cleveland NF Supervisor’s Office, call (858) 673-6180.
    • For information about the Alpine, Descanso, and Laguna Mountain areas, call the Descanso Ranger District at (619) 445-6235.
    • For information about the Palomar Mountain, Henshaw, Ramona, and Oak Grove areas, call the Palomar Ranger District at (760) 788-0250.
    • For information about the Ortega Highway, San Mateo, and Corona areas, contact the Trabuco Ranger District at (951) 736-1811.
    Here is the link to the closure areas:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/conditions/forest-orders/order-no-02-07-12.pdf

10. KeepsWhatHappens

KeepsWhatHappens Warriors Society Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    It's really interesting to see how spotty the applications of hydromulching will be. I wonder why.

It looks like area #11 is covered yesterday. This is the area just west of the Luge in the Vulture Crags area.

KeepsWhatHappens

11. genusmtbkr5

Closure update

I spoke to Debra and Virgil of the FS today. They did verify that the Main Divide is closed north of lower Holy Jim toward the peak because of the hydromulching process going on. The MD is open south towards Trabuco, closed to motors all the way to ITT.

OK, just to be clear, you can go up Upper HJ, but the road going to the top(Main Divide) is not open. The MD is open south of LHJ to Trabuco.

Depending where they spraying, the area north of Beek's to the peak maybe closed as well. Call to verify where the drops are before heading out. They handed 14 citations over the weekend, none were mtn bikers from our groups.

I will continue to update this as I find out info.

Here's the number: 951-736-1534

12. Onemoreloop

Onemoreloop Peep

I rode Holy Jim to the Peak today. I wasn't aware it was closed. I did not see any signs or any mulching or any indication it was closed. I did see a little snow on the trail near the Peak. All the trails were in great shape including upper and lower Holy Jim.

13. genusmtbkr5

No problem, just consider yourself one of the lucky ones who got to ride it. Most of our group got to Upper on Sat, but since I was sweeping and left at 9am, by the time I was coming up the MD, the ranger had already been to the peak on his patrol and working towards ITT when he turned us around.

14. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Citations? is it like a warning, or a ticket? Just curious.

Seems like not everyone (including me in the past) wouldn't know to call the national forest on a daily basis to see if it is open or not....

15. genusmtbkr5

Well because of the fire closures, re-habing the area, hydromulching and on/off Santa Ana wind conditions, the closures are on a day by day basis. The hydromulching will be going on till the first part of Jan, weather permitting.

16. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Thanks for the updates Gene.
    Anybody heard any talk about when the full length of MD might reopen? I would think that might be a higher priority than Motorway, HTT, STT, etc, and thus might open earlier than the rest .... or maybe not.

17. genusmtbkr5

No changes to closures. Open from Beek's to Eagle on the North side of the peak and from the Peak south to Blue Jay on the south side. I'll update this when I speak to Debra or Virgil tomorrow.

I'll make this a sticky until the closures are no longer an issue.

18. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Thanks Gene. A couple relevant CNF events & activities happening now/soon:

Public comment period begins for proposed changes in travel management (ie: motorized access)...

The Cleveland National Forest, Trabuco Ranger District, will host the Annual Volunteer Training Workshop Saturday, February 9, 2008, for district volunteers and the interested public. All Trabuco Ranger District forest volunteers are required to attend. Bring your Volunteer Handbook with you! Registration and networking begin at 8AM. Training sessions begin promptly at 8:30 AM. (more info here)

Too bad this is the same day as the Whiting/Limestone Adopt-A-Park volunteer orientation day at O'Neill, but that program is offering numerous other orientation dates.

19. genusmtbkr5

20. JustSpin

JustSpin Love to ride!

Internet Marketing
    You might want to look into OC Parks Adopt-a-Park program. I signed up a few weeks ago and received my badge. Now I can help volunteer on a regular basis to do trail maintenance. WE got an update from the Park Ranger at Whiting stating that they are hoping to open Whiting by early Summer and that some parts of Cleveland will be closed for 1 -2 yrs depending on the areas. Let's hope it's sooner than that!