Uh-Oh, more trouble in the Landis camp

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by b-rad!, Apr 23, 2007.

1. b-rad!

b-rad! Ski Bum

2. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    The lab and USADA did some shady stuff (as noted in the articles), but the synthetic testosterone doesn't help him at all. Oh but wait, that shouldn't have been leaked in the first place!

Who can you trust? The lab that screws stuff up and leaks every bit of confidential information, or the athlete, who is probably doing whatever he can to fly under the radar and keep getting a paycheck.

I wouldn't really blame the athlete's for wanting that little bit extra help (can you imagine riding 100+ miles a day for 3 weeks?!). However, the lab and the situation is a joke. I don't really trust any result that comes out of there at this point!

I like Floyd, but don't think he's gonna get a fair shake either way.

3. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    Considering his religous background I doubt he's guilty.

Floyd used to ride Harding truck trail quite often. I believe he used to ride gate to gate in 53minutes or something insane like that!

4. Edog

Edog Member

But!!!

I've done gate to gate sub 50 minutes, yes I had a blood transfusion & taken some horse steriods only moments before.
    But when it comes to training for the CC, you do what you can:-k
    Bottem line is the French are all HATERS, with all that bad breath & armpit hair they need to feel good about something. (I would like to exclude French Canadians from my slanderious generalization of a Nation!!)8-[

5. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    They say that everyone of the guys in the Tour did some kind of drug, so if that is the case,why come down on just Landis? Testosterone by itself is not what a pro racer would choose to spice up his riding anyways. Something smelled fishy right from the start on this.

6. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Landis: "This leak itself confirms the total lack of ethics within the antidoping organisations..."

I couldn't agree more. That doesn't prove Floyd innocent, but the credibility of these orgs seems marginal at best. Now it's a situation where USADA and the French group have way too much invested to consider backing down, as does Landis's camp.

This is the sort of thing where an independent 3rd party arbitrator needs to take over. Too bad it'll never happen.

7. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

The whole thing is fishy!!!

However, I have heard of the testosterone patch being used to aid in recovery of some elite athletes. The benefit being a bit quicker recovery in stage races, plus the levels that they use as "legal" are still at least 2x's that of an average person. So, you can put the patch on for a bit of an edge, but remove it prior to reaching too high of a level and remain undetected...unless you fall asleep with it on and it builds in your blood stream causing a great increased ratio.

But, that's not to say Landis is guilty of that, nor am I here to judge him, as I am not aware of all the intricacies of the case. It does seem that there should be more power in the defense of Landis and his team; at the very least, a third party as mentioned above.

8. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    He didn't have too much testosterone in his system. His ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone was higher than average, and legal, by quite a bit. It may be assumed that he was using some kind of masking agent, but hard to say for sure. Either way, his actual level of testosterone wasn't the problem.

The problem then became that there were traces of synthetic testosterone in his samples, which means they weren't made by his body. Hmm. His b-samples from the other times they took samples also show traces of synthetic, but these all passed testing back in July of last year.

Anyway, lots of weird and fishy things going on from both sides.

9. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Just because inaccuracies bug me....

First, the testing of the ratio is to determine if there is an elevated amount of testosteron, as there is an assumption that the body maintains a ratio of approx 1:1. So, the anti-doping people rely upon that test to determine if there is too much testosterone, as an indirect measurement of testostserone (further testing determines if synthetics are in the system, this one is like a quickie).

Second, in the original test from stage 17, it was reported that his T/E ratio was high. The max allowed by cycling is 4:1 (with the average man having 1:1 or 2:1). Landis measured up to 11:1

Third, the testing done on the original samples was only for the T/E, not for synthetics. Again, if one were smart and doping, you could have synthetics raising your T/E, but still run undetected if you are experienced enough to stay below the 4:1 max

Not defending anyone, as I totally agree that it's all fishy, but for a formidable arguement, you must have facts straight.

In Landis' defense and in opposition of the accuracy of T/E testing:

Beer can alter the ratio (I think this explains Andy and some other's superhuman strength :lol: ): www.cyclingnews.com - the world centre of cycling

Not everyone has "normal" ratios (big surprise, cyclists aren't normal)
    Washingtonpost.com: After Drug Probe, U.S. Bobsledder Back on Course

There was a wide variance of his test:
    "According to the story, Pound said Floyd's T/E ratio was 11:1.......... not his T level )

Of course, there was a wide variation in the measurements...not surprising, since Landis' epitestosterone concentration was very low, maybe too low to measure accurately.

p. 0054: T/E 4.9

p. 0057 T/E 5.1"

p. 0212 T/E 10.7

p. 0214 T/E 11.2

Hopefully, he can clear his name soon so all this BS stops....maybe we can even move on from cleaning up our riders to cleaning up our labs

10. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page: