Ride Report Turnbull Figure 8 & Cow Trail

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by BikeThePlanet, Feb 10, 2014.

1. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

Not much of a ride report. Mainly a place to post bragging rights (in just a minute). :)

Seems the HAB Crew rides Turnbull more than anywhere else these days. Old man Jack (Dakit) has a hard on for this place. It is a challenge to get him to ride anywhere else. Turnbull always has hikers, but . . . it must have made some kind of Zagat list of hikes lately. Crazy crowded. 12 across hikers, with strollers, little kids running around, etc. It is like Death Race 2000.

That little bit of rain turned the Turnbull Dust Bowl, at least temporarily, into hero dirt. We started on the 7th Street side and were joined by the infamous Brown Chicken Brown Cow (Colin). The HAB Crew is riding with celebrities now. We were disappointed that there was no pulled pork sammies at the end of the ride. Anyhow onto the bragging . . .

I killed it following Colin up those first switchbacks. The thrill of victory came post ride when I noticed that I beat Amber's (from Dino's crew) time up the switchbacks. I think she has only ridden here once, so wasn't familiar with the trails. But I don't care. I have proof of my victory. :)

Screenshot 2014-02-10 13.32.56.jpg

And bested her time, again, on the whole 7th Ave climb. I had to screenshot as it may be short lived. :)

Screenshot 2014-02-10 13.33.34.jpg

Dropping down the Three B's was like hiker pinball. A-line was surprisingly empty and the hero dirt helped to alleviate my apprehension to exposure.

Instead of heading up the Beverly fireroad climb we took a detour to Cow Trail. I had done this route once, but on a miserable hot day. I had been itching to do it again, but the rest of the HAB Crew doesn't like to do that much riding. However, with our special guest of honor, Brown Chicken Brown Cow, in tow I was able to use a little peer pressure to add on some extra credit. Just as we are about to get to Cow Trail, Tony (blindman22), and Andy bail. Peer pressure came into play again as I was determined to hit up Cow Trail and Dakit and Brown Chicken Brown Cow followed along. We ran across the legendary Paolo Attacks Filipino Racing Team.

cow_trail.jpg

Cow Trail was a blast. Whereas, the Figure 8 Loop was hiker central, there wasn't a soul on Cow Trail. Well it was a blast until . . . the climb back out. Cow Trail would be much more enjoyable if we had started at Beverly. That climb back up to the 7th Ave downhill was a grind.

All in all a great day on the trails and a perfect warmup for the Oaks ride I did the next day. And I get to memorialize my climbing victory and rub it in while I can. :)

2. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    Awesome! I love cow trail!

3. Formu1fan

Formu1fan Slow Down, Slower Up

Environmental Scientist
    Wait a minute, is that a picture of Colin WITHOUT a singlespeed? Has hell frozen over?

4. WC-Rider

WC-Rider New Member

You guys don't have to climb out of Cow trail. You can finish at the Whittier college or back at Turnbull Canyon

5. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

LADWP
    Hey, did you guys notice those laminated signs on the cow trail side stating something about no access permitted? Saw them on Tuesday but didn't stop to read and the writing was small...

6. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    Hehe, that's why I like to end with the cow trail shortcut back to the cars! :-D It makes cow trail sooooooo much more fun! hehe

7. brown chicken brown cow

brown chicken brown cow Member

Was a super fun day!
    1st time on Cow Trail and I gotta say one of my new favorites!!! The climb out wasn't as bad as I had heard. Yes, I rode gears and climbing out of Cow Trail, I'm glad I had them...I used a bunch of them...Tara, I was wondering why we started at the back side of 7th knowing we were going to do cow. I blame Jack and Ryan as Andy and Tony bailed (pu$8ys). Couldn't have asked for a better day, perfect weather, perfect dirt and the HAB crew were kinda normal (for a change). And to add on to Ryan's comment about the hikers, I've never seen so many of them. Busier than Aliso and Moro on a nice summer morning...oh well, it was great being outside for everyone! Thanks again for the invite!

8. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

1) Your victory WILL be short-lived. :)
    2) When she finds out, you... you are pretty much a dead man!
    3) Wouldn't surprise me if she crushes ALL of your times- just to prove a point! #-o
    4) This is gonna be good (where's the popcorn)

You crazy! :lol:

9. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

The doc has me using an inhaler pre-ride to help my pitiful lungs, but it doesn't seem to do much. They suck and don't get any better, so it limits climbing speed. I gotta live it up while I can. She might learn to ride switchbacks one of these days. :)

GregMeister I didn't notice any signs. Where were they?

10. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

LADWP
    There were 4 or 5 of them, first one is just as you go around the gate at Beverly and you climb up to the powerline rd(skyline?) They are white laminated signs with black and red print affixed to a wooden stake. The last one was right at the start of the singletrack as you start the descent.