Turnbull Canyon Conditions Old Thread

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by profnachos, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XcShane

XcShane Member

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

2. mtnkitty

mtnkitty Guest

If I had a carbon Mojo, I'd be taking a lot of pictures of it too. Ha ha ha.

3. tandem

tandem New Member

I just used my trusty Panasonic LZ8 ... and with a little Adobe Lightroom enhancements :)

4. Samusick

Samusick OI!

Machinist
    Home Page:
    Turnbull is closed but might open up tomorrow.

5. Samusick

Samusick OI!

Machinist
    Home Page:
    Just called the habitat authority @ (562) 945-9003, extension 5# and they said that it's open, woohoo!

6. Ginsu1

Ginsu1 New Member

Yes, Turnbull is open. I only did a quick spin up to the water tower and down A-Line today since I was worried that it would still be muddy/sloppy on the 7th ave side. A-Line is primo right now - DRY and hardpacked

7. tandem

tandem New Member

For those planning to ride Turnbull in the next few days, here is a short update on the 7th Ave part...

Rode Turnbull Canyon this morning with Allan. Route was up to the Water Tower - 7th Ave Loop - Water Tower - 3B's - A-Side.

The fireroad climb had no soggy/mushy areas. A-Side was hard packed dirt all the way and was a blast to ride as usual.

7th Ave on the other hand had a few spots that still had water, areas with mud and a few landslides. Some of the downhill switchbacks were a bit muddy, resulting in poor to almost no traction, and had a lot of ruts (looks like a few riders rode there while the trail was still really wet). We weren't able to ride Rattlesnake so I don't know how that part of the trail is holding up. I tried to take a few pics but I left my SD Card at home so I only snagged a few using my camera's internal memory

the trail from the 7th Ave entrance to Rattlesnake
    P1030211.jpg

on the short downhill connector to the start of the 7th Ave switchbacks
    P1030213.jpg

at the start of the 7th Ave dowhill switchbacks (at the hitch post for the horses)
    P1030214.jpg

at the 2nd downhill switchback (check out the damage by the horse hooves and compare it to that of the bikes)
    P1030215.jpg

a small landslide (still on the downhill switchbacks)
    P1030216.jpg

at the bottom of the 7th Ave Downhill switchbacks (take note, not a lot of mud on the tires)
    P1030217.jpg

the uphill switchbacks were generally drier than their downhill counterparts
    P1030218.jpg

the wall
    P1030219.jpg

this part going uphill had quite a few landslides
    P1030220.jpg

still climbing up the switchbacks on 7th ave. although dry, had a lot of loose rocks and soil
    P1030221.jpg

at the Water Tower, someone made a sweet jump. We didn't attempt it though
    P1030222.jpg

8. singleSSpeedster

singleSSpeedster Rolling on 29" dubs!

i think riding 7th downhill is not a great idea, still a bi too soft. if you hang a right at the horse ties, you can go down the orange grove switchbacks.... it's more rocky and drains better. there is one slide on that downhill that you'll have to hike over, but after than it is fine. from there, just ride down to orange grove/7th trail head and hang left and head up the pavement to the gate, and ride up the 7th switchbacks.

9. Ginsu1

Ginsu1 New Member

Has anybody been down & up the 7th ave switchbacks lately? I'm hoping the recent beautiful weather dried things up and made it rideable?? THANKS

10. Makoto

Makoto Outdoor'ist

Rode most of the park on Saturday. Rattlesnake, Elevator, Cow Trail, 7th and A-Side are all in good shape. Get out and enjoy them!

11. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    Everything was completely dry on 7th when I went yesterday! It was still a little tacky on the climb up but other than that no mud whatsoever. It's in pretty darn good shape, rockier in areas than usual (like that very last switchback on the climb out and the wall of china) but that just adds to the fun! The line down on the short rocky downhill area after the climb up has changed and now has 2 dips before the turn rather than one like it used to. Still totally rideable and lot's of fun!

P.S. Tandem- I LOVE what you do to your photos!!! You mentioned earlier you just take them with a point and shoot and then adjust in adobe lightroom? I need to learn how to do that! Is it a lot of work?

12. tandem

tandem New Member

ohyeah89,
    Yup, those pictures are just with an Olympus LZ8 and I just adjust them with Adobe Lightroom. I just import the pics and then pic ONE picture and adjust the sliders for Clarity to +50, the Vibrance to +20 and the Saturation to +10. After that, I just adjust the slider for adding a vignette and that's it. I just do that to one pic and apply those previous settings to all the pics I imported. By doing these adjustments, the pics just seem to "pop" or look much, much better :)

Look at the difference:
    Before
    P1030217.JPG

After
    P1030217a.jpg

Before
    P1030094.JPG

After
    P1030094-2.jpg

Before
    P1020781.JPG

After (this last pic I just really bumped up the vibrance and saturation)
    P1020781-2.jpg

13. tandem

tandem New Member

rode Turnbull Canyon yesterday with noob_mistake (Jef), specifically Cow Trail and A-Side and both trails were hard packed dirt all the way. Trail Conditions were perfect except for a few rocks and branches in the middle of Cow Trail. On the climb to Cow Trail, we met Kam (I think singleSSpeedster is his STR handle) who is an absolute climbing machine. I was only able to snag a few pics because I left my SD Card at home again ](*,) good thing I had my GoPro so I was able to get a video of Cow Trail...

Pics
    P1030255-2.jpg

P1030256-2.jpg

P1030258-2.jpg

Cow Trail Vid
    [vimeo]18985211[/vimeo]

14. Samusick

Samusick OI!

Machinist
    Home Page:
    That's a cool video tandem! Look's like I need to start hitting the rest of the trails there.

15. singleSSpeedster

singleSSpeedster Rolling on 29" dubs!

LOL.....who is that goofy guy in the blue!!!

it was great meeting you guys, but i have seen you a few times before....I recognize the bike and those wheels!

c ya out there!

16. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

LADWP
    Hmm...Too soon to ask maybe but, Turnbull conditions after that Rain sunday?

17. tandem

tandem New Member

I think the climb up the fireroad from Beverly to Water Tower and A-Side would be ok. Just avoid the 7th Ave Loop

18. tandem

tandem New Member

hit Turnbull Canyon today for a quick ride up to the Water Tower (from Beverly Blvd) down the 3B's and finishing at A-Side/Friends. Despite the rains last Sunday, the trail is in perfect condition ... see for yourself

P1030487.jpg

P1030489.jpg

on a side note, I found the "new" trail markers/water bottle holders intriguing ... you be the judge 8-[

168412.jpg

P1030488.jpg

19. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Love the underwear shots! There used to be an undergarment tree at Snow Summit right next to the lift. I remember leaving my favorite Spongebob Squarepants Boxers in that tree.

20. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

LADWP
    Great Photos! Love that place!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.