Tubeless PSI

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by bananaseat, May 14, 2006.

1. bananaseat

bananaseat Member

Recent convert to tubeless, just completed my 2nd ride. Using Maxiss Minon 2.35 in front & High Roller 2.35 in back. Need feedback...

My ride feels faster and looser. Which is great for climbing, but a bit challenging decending. I'm running 30 PSI, which felt great decending Trabuco, and 5 Oaks, but was very sketchy on Rock-It. Felt like my front tire was going to get lodged in every nook-n-cranny on the rock-encrusted section of Rock-It.

I'm I experiencing a standard learning curve??? Should I adjust my PSI?

2. CalEpic

CalEpic member

You could try lowering your front another 5 psi.

Is this the 2nd ride since going tubeless or did you change tires and go to tubeless at the same time?

C

3. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Sounds like about a perfect tire combination to me. I was wondering about your positioning on the bike and how you may have your weight distributed. On some rides I'll take my air pressure down to as low as 30 pounds, but I weigh in at 140, so I don't recommend this if you're to much heavier.

4. bananaseat

bananaseat Member

little bit of both. 2nd ride since... and these are new tires for my "tubeless" experience. is it just a matter of adjusting??

5. CalEpic

CalEpic member

I think it's just getting used to it in your case. For me, the ability to run lower pressures without pinch flatting made a very noticable improvement. Better traction, less deflection through rock gardens, etc.

I'm guessing the change in tires is what you are noticing most. Those are heavy-ass tires with very stiff sidewalls. The positive is durability. I've cut so many tires lately on rocky trails I'm about ready to make the switch too. (Rob may be too after today's episode)

In the end, it's all about what YOU like. If it felt better before, no harm in putting tubes back in.

6. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    It almost sounds like you're just experiencing the added traction of tubeless/less psi.....which is giving you the feeling you're being pulled into the nooks and crannies on Rock-it, which just means you need to go faster :p I generally run about 26-28psi in the front and about 32-34ish in the rear. Just experiment with the air pressures either way and see what feels best to you. I know you use to run pretty damn high air pressures with tubes and now that you're at 30psi it will certainly feel different.

After never having any problems with my Stan's converted Kenda tubeless set ups I've torn 3 tires in the last 4 rides. Just a string of bad luck I'm sure but I'm thinking of going with a High Roller in the rear.