Tubeless Installation - Absolute Absurdity (Where is the non-compatibility warning?)

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by TrailBlaza, Dec 19, 2009.

1. TrailBlaza

TrailBlaza New Member

Hey all,

I decided to take the plunge and move into a tubeless setup with my DT Swiss EX 5.1d rims. To start, I know these rims are the biggest pain in the @#$#$ to get normal folding bead tires on. Almost to the point of a faulty product.

So today I went over to jenson and got two DT Swiss EX tubeless conversion kits and two Maxxis Minion DHF UST tubeless tires (Actually got these for $40 each from a price match on amazon. I was stoked). Anyways, the DT Swiss kit installation went without a hitch. However, when I attempted to install the tire, that is when I almost went insane.
    First off, is the bead supposed to go directly into the center groove of the plastic rim tape? I was able to get one side of the tire into the middle area with not too much problem. I did have to use two plastic tire levers because it would be impossible without them. I then try to get the other side of the tire one. At first, the end of the bead would not go in the same position as the other side. It was closer to the outer wall. I left it as is. For the next hour I tried to get the remaining tire around the rim. I seriously felt as if I was about to crack the metal I was trying so hard. Eventually, I made proper use of the tire levers and was actually able to get the tire on. I then proceeded to pump up the tire to 50psi to get a seal. I really didn't hear any leaks. I then deflated the tire in preparation to add the sealant, but then I checked the bead and one side had pressed against the side of the rim while the other was in the center area. Are they supposed to remain in the center groove? The one side that was pressed against the outer part of the rim was no longer touching the middle groove.

I am completed flabbergasted at what to do here. It seems as if these products are not compatible. Is there anything that could help my cause without selling all the stuff I just bought?

sorry for the ramble

2. chupacabra

chupacabra New Member

It can be a pain sometimes. With the tight fit you have you may have to inflate past 50psi to get both beads to seat. Both sides should be locked against the bead.

I haven't converted those rims to tubeless, so I can't speak from direct experience. But, it seems like you almost there. Keep at it.

3. Marshall Willanholly

Marshall Willanholly Active Member

Home Page:
    Prior to inflation, put some soapy water around the beads and it should help the tire seat easier.

I've used the exact setup you're describing. It's a PIA to get the tires on, but it will work. If it makes you feel any better, Schwable tires are even harder than the Maxxis to get on.

4. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    I've found that spraying Windex around the bead area works better than soapy water.

5. sxc70

sxc70 2bz4wrk

bike rider
    hey check it out iv been tubeless 4 2 years now and have not had 1 flat so when your done with the 2 beers and the wheels r on the bike you can enjoy them for a long time with no worries, then you will be looking forward to using those tires till the nobies r all gone.N joy:wave:

6. dicky

dicky New Member

RAILROADER
    I Mix Soapy Water In A Spray Bottle And It Works For Me. Had Some Issues On My Wifes Ust Intense Tires. Got Them On And She's Never Had A Flat And They Sealed So Good That All The Sealant Had Dried Into A Super Ball Inside The Tire.

7. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

That's one of my favorite setups!

I use that exact same setup on two of my bikes with no problems. Because I swap tires for different conditions, I've reinstalled the Minions back onto the 5.1s in the same configuration at least 10 times or so. And I've gone through several new sets of tires as well.

Be patient, make sure to use the center of the rim when installing the tires...and most importantly, use good quality tire levers - you really need them.;)

There should be no need for windex or soapy water - it should be a simple install.

Perhaps you just need to inflate the tires up to 40 or 50 psi to seat the bead.

8. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    You're almost there, just more psi to seat the bead into the rim. We have the same setup on 4.1 & 5.1 rims. When I've had trouble seating the tire, I usually stick a tube in there for a week then try going tubless again. It'll be a lot easier.

9. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

yep... feel your pain. I had 5.1's with a maxxis Tubeless rimstrip... (seriously like 5mm thick), made it nearly impossible to seat tires! As mentioned...schwalbes were a 3 tire iron approach.... insanely hard.

mavic 823's > DT 5.1 in all aspects

10. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Especially in weight! The 823 rim is 200 grams heavier than the 5.1 rim! Going to 823 rims adds nearly a pound to the wheels!

But...for hardcore thrashing, I do use the 823s.

Did I say that the 823 rim is 200 grams heavier than the 5.1?:lol:

11. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I used a little bit of soapy water and got the my tires on pretty easy, but as lee said good levers make the difference. I have some plastic ones w/ metal inside and that made it pretty easy. I actually had a harder time with the strip then installing the tires.
    It sounds like he has the DT swiss kit not maxxis rim strips. Its a huge difference.

12. TrailBlaza

TrailBlaza New Member

[​IMG]

Is this what I am looking for when initially seating the tire? What is depicted here is the tire bead sitting in the groove of the tape.

13. chupacabra

chupacabra New Member

Are you saying this ^^^^^^^is what it looks like at 50psi???? I'm not quite following you.

14. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

This is what you're looking for when you're mounting the tire. It allows the last part of the tire to slide over the rim easier.

You want it to be in the outer channels when it is seated.

15. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

here is my crappy edit of your rendition...

this is what it should look like when you seat it

Attached Files:

16. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Since the 5.1 rim is not a UST rim even with the rimstrips, buying UST tires gains you very little except extra weight. They do tend to seal a little better though.

Soapy water for sure. You might want to watch the installation video on the Stans No Tubes website.

17. TrailBlaza

TrailBlaza New Member

Thanks for all the help everyone. My original picture was supposed to show what the tire looks like when you are initially putting it on. I guess I was right. Sweet!

18. stickman

stickman Member

If you think mounting tires tubeless on 5.1's just wait till you have to remove them.
    I chipped the black coating on a rim in a couple spots, had to use a screwdriver blade just to get under the bead.. :(

19. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Fixed it for you.

And since the poster chose to use the UST Minions, which I believe are only available in a 2.5" size, it would seem that he wants downhill performance with slightly less weight. The only way to get the level of performance out of a tire for the intended purpose of that tire would be to get a normal wire-bead DH tire, which would weigh about the same (if not more), yet still need a tube.

By the way, DT says that they only recommend their tubeless kits to be used with UST tires. And because of the grooves in the DT rim strips, no other tubeless conversion kit will hold tires on those rims nearly as well at lower tire pressures.

20. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Lee, you make some good points about the differences in UST vs non-UST tires. And, you're correct that the Minion is now only available in 2.5 UST. They did offer 2.35 previously but I should not assume that's what we're talking about. With regard to the rim strip - even with grooves to simulate a UST rim, the strip can still shift on the rim. It does not make the rim UST. I'm sure you know this, just clarifying for people that assume all tubeless set ups are the same.