Trends.....*rant*

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DDB@OCR, Dec 6, 2007.

1. DDB@OCR

DDB@OCR New Member

Here's some things I need to get off my chest about the MBIC, current trends and stuff (ala Andy Rooney sort of).

Things that have no business being on a XC bike:

*Disc Brakes: Why? V-brakes aint strong enough? Not complicated enough? I mean really. Adjusting the calipers is not so much fun for those over 40 with glasses. And don't you dare *bump* the lever changing a flat! Not to mention we now have a liquid line on a bike where once none was. Plus they are heavy, thay fade and wheels can no longer be tossed in the back like so much fire wood- don't bend my disc now!
    Not to mention the QR lever is on the wrong side too. I fail to see the advantage. Until 'they' get it to the point of efficiently of my CR250R, then it's a load of forced bunk IMHO, damn things aint even close to the stoppers on the CR and they do way over 10 times to work with beautiful modulation!

*Suspension: 90% of time none is needed. A suspension fork is welcome relief in some cases, but only with a lock-out or to me it so much dead weight on climbs. Rear suspension is totally out of the question and I still fail to see the advantage on this continent. If I was racing UCI or some of those courses in Europe, sure, those things are gnarly! But over here in LaLa Land? gimme a break. You want plush, go ride yer couch! Don't get me started!!!

*31.8mm diam. alloy riser bars/short stems: Are you kidding me? WTF am I supposed to do with this handlebar, use it for a tire-iron on my Peterbuilt? And same mated with a 100mm stem = a climbing position akin to the Flying Scotsman on Old Faithful. Who's the marketing genius that came up with this wrist shattering combo? Jeebuz krimminy. Someone point this turd out to me so I can clamp a bat in a paint shaker and duct-tape his hands to it.

*Big in the front, little in the rear (tires): This is sooo 90's. All it effectively does is lower the final drive ratio. You are still pushing a tractor tire on the front up a hill. Not to mention the number it does on the geometry. Am I riding a BMX bike? No. Nice try.

Any questions?

Flame on!

Weeeeeeeeeee!

2. mtbchip

mtbchip Karnivore

Residential RE agent
    I just posted you a "thanks"....... I REALLY had to go.

Tinkle tinkle.........

There......... I just pissed on your little flame starter, that should put it out.......

3. mtnbikerdude87

mtnbikerdude87 Huh?

I dont know about this. I dont think I would ever go back to V-brakes on my XC bike. I think disc are much better in terms of modulation and stopping power (in wet weather that is). I dont really have a hard time adjusting my disc. I got Juicy 7s and whenever I change my road wheels to mtn wheels I just loosen up the caplier bolts and the squeeze the brakes and they adjust themselves. Takes me 5 min tops.

But for southern cali riding I think Vs would be fine for XC riding. Its those occasional 'rains' we get and thats when disc comes in handy.

4. uzziboy

uzziboy hi Ron...it's Ron

who cares
    * Rear suspension is totally out of the question and I still fail to see the advantage on this continent. If I was racing UCI or some of those courses in Europe, sure, those things are gnarly! But over here in LaLa Land? gimme a break. You want plush, go ride yer couch! Don't get me started!!!

so what exactly are u saying? my dh/fr/trailbike IS MY XC bike and when i ride places like sjt, the oaks, and even aliso(stairs, rockit, 5 oaks) i feel i have to have suspension and im willing to lug 45lbs of bike up to get the down. im sure u are speaking of a pure xc bike but those are few and far between because they couldnt handle those trails and i rarely see any of those bikes out on those trails. or are u saying we have sissy trails compared to europe?

flame over lol

5. DDB@OCR

DDB@OCR New Member

MBIC Board member you is.....

Yer one of THEM, aint cha.

[-X

6. nappyt

nappyt New Member

I understand a lot of what your saying but one size doesn't fit all. I'm a clyde and between my bike, the gear I carry and myself its about 300 lbs of momentom. I like having disc brakes. V's never gave me much confidence. Now do I need 7" 8" 9" or I know its coming 12" rotors no but since my bike came with 7" rotors I'm not going to spend money to change them to 6".

The suspension is a mixed blessing when you have it's dead weight 75% of the time. When you don't its a soar back or knees. I'm young but if I wanted to beat myself up I would Freeride not XC. If you got lock-out thats great I have to admit I miss having it on my newest bike.

31.8 I agree with this 100%. I'm a clyde and don't need something this strong. Plus some of my accessories don't fit except near the grips. WTF?

The tire thing I am guessing you mean the 69er bikes. I don't get that either. If you can't push a 29er stay with the 26er.

7. DDB@OCR

DDB@OCR New Member

1- Uh-oh.......[-X

2- Why.....Yes- yes I am.

:lol:

:beer:

8. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
    [SeinfeldImpression]
    and what is the deal with oversized bars???
    [/SeinfeldImpression]

9. mp3

mp3 mirroring the trail

juggling passions
    Home Page:
    Trends = *rants*
    :)

10. mtbchip

mtbchip Karnivore

Residential RE agent
    Found Out

O.K., then , ya found me out!

Ride on!

11. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

For XC race bikes I think I agree.

1. You never go that fast in an XC race to really need good brakes (a foot against the front tire is sufficient).

2. XC races are generally pretty smooth with very little technical difficulty (almost a road race) (The most recent XC race at Fontana is an exception).

3. Many XC racers are retro grouches, anyway, so technological advances are blasphemy.

Just pokin' some fun jabs at ya! Glad you're not in R&D! :lol:

Now for the rest of the riding population, I disagree.

12. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Ahhh young grasshopper...

Simply put, different strokes for different folks ... I respect and value your opinion ... (like noses, everyone has one) but each rider has his or her particular likes or dislikes. As long as you're happy with your bike and the way it is set up... that's the most important thing ... to you.

13. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Don't feed the Trolls :steppie:

14. DDB@OCR

DDB@OCR New Member

Werd- remember that Philp guy who rode for Specialized in '00 I think it was? (WC)

No one I know or have ever seen on a bike is even close to that strong and he made do with the standard stuff.

Fat bars are a trend and should be banned!

:protest:

Back to werk you.....Mr. Honda is watching!

15. cbHarping

cbHarping When can I ride again?

The Path Bike Shop Webmaster
    When I want to stop, I want to STOP! Give me disc brakes any 'ol time, on any of my bikes, on any trail I'm riding! :bang:

16. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

IMO, you can embrace technology or resist it, you choose. It's all a matter of personal preference and choice. I personally have no interest in riding V's ever again or riding a suspension-less bike on dirt. In fact, my Ells Truth hasn't been ridden in who knows how long and is sadly hanging in my garage, all because I only have XTR V's on it.
    On long rides, I don't see how one would not appreciate and benefit from the consistency of disc brakes and the plushness of a fork but then again, it's all a matter of personal preference. Different folks, different strokes. No one solution for everybody. That's the beauty of it. We get to choose and taylor make what works for us.

Saying all that, I have nothing but big time respect for anyone who's willing to endure the punishment of a rigid ride with no discs and SS to boot. In my mind, that's simply incomprehensible! :?:

17. DDB@OCR

DDB@OCR New Member

Why do ya think I'm rantin?.....just picked up an '08 and the damn thing is almost useless as is....

:lol:

Stop the MBIC trends! They are after your wallet!

18. pitmang1

pitmang1 Member

I'm sorry but those trails have been ridden by people for years without suspension, myself being one of them. I am on at least one of those every week and ride all of them regularly on my 1x1. Oh yeah and Telonix was built by riders before suspension was even an option. If one does not have the skills to pick a line, then full-suspension may be a necessity..;) All that being said, I wouldn't mind having a 6" bike to do all the work for me, but my budget won't allow it.

19. spookydave

spookydave A little dab will do me

I bet you have some 24" Sun doublewides (36 hole non the less) stashed in your garage. Heck, you prolly have a few 50mm stems, a few 8" travel Rissie forks and a stack of worn out 8" rotors also.
    If not, sucks to be you because I have all of that and more in my pile. But it's ok because I don't ride a ridged and I don't wear grape smuggles.

woot~!

20. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    DDB@OCR, why do you care so much about what other people are riding? If it's not for you, that's cool, but I fail to see why someone would get so bent out of shape about the gear on someone else's ride.