Trail Work Aliso Woods/Car Wreck 8/7/2010

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by OMR, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

I'm just playin'...I will be lucky to clean Car Wreck on my Enduro! Especially the parts leading up to the car :D

Will try my best to not end up in the trunk!

2. guero

guero iFroth

great work guys! i've always heard about that trail and often wondered what that trail looked like! i think it is time to ditch my rear 2.1 sb8!

3. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    ^^ nah, you're good! that's what i'm going to roll it on. but a 2.3 in the front will make life easier.

4. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

Yeah I think you're good with your SB8's; the trail itself isn't very loose. Just pretty gnarly rock gardens and technical features (i.e. the last part has a rock garden, immediately followed by a steep roller, immediately followed by a sharp turn which, if you don't make it, lands you inside the cars trunk, followed by a steep section with a huge tree sticking out into the middle of the trail, immediately followed by a rooted roller, immediately followed by a 90 degree switchback.)

Fun stuff. :)

5. CalEpic

CalEpic member

That must have been David Hucklehoff I saw riding that trail all those years ago :lol:

6. guero

guero iFroth

8-[

7. back of the pack

back of the pack Member

Home Page:
  8. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

Cool article! :beer:

Although the comment at the bottom doesn't seem to welcoming. #-o

MJVANDE

9:08 PM on August 9, 2010

Why is propaganda being published as if it were a news story? This belongs on the editorial page. The truth is, a VERY small proportion of mountain bikers ever participate in trail maintenance. And there are so many outlaw mountain bikers that there are enough to supply some for every park in the country! I have yet to visit any park that didn't have illegal mountain biking and illegal trail building. For more information: http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/mtbfaq.

Edit: Propaganda? If that guys link isn't propaganda then I don't know what is.

9. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    ^^ that mjvande dude's an uber kook. of course, he does have a ph. d.--in advanced vagology. he must constantly scour the internet to fuel his mtb obsession:

"Why do people mountain bike?...They are interested in thrills. Riding a bike on a trail, especially a trail containing many obstacles, or a trail one is not familiar with, is very challenging. (But if mountain biking is the high point of your week, as it seems to be for many mountain bikers, you must be leading a pretty dull life, off of the bike!)"--the good "doctor"

ouch! words hurt! i do plenty of other things during the week. plenty...like clean my bike, and talk about biking, and shop for riding socks, and plan biking trips, and...damn you, dr. vandeman. damn you to the hiker-hell you came from.

10. mmmike038

mmmike038 Lone Wolf

Vandeman is a class A troll. Too bad people get suckered into arguing with him. It's hilarious.

11. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

This is my favorite...

Last time I checked, bikers don't leave 6" post holes and large piles of shit in the trail...just sayin...

EDIT: LOL wtf is this guy doing out of the psych ward?? MICHAEL VANDEMAN CHARGED WITH ATTACKING BICYCLISTS WITH A HANDSAW

12. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

You should leave that link as a comment right under his post. Lmao.

13. rustin

rustin _

I'm so happy this guy underlined the key words to make his points easier to understand, because I'm too busy murdering Mother Nature to read the whole thing.

14. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    First off, thanks to all of you that made it out there to help re-open this trail. I was unable to make it, but sure did miss being there.

The above comments show why if you can't cleanly ride trails like Five Oaks, Rock-It, and Lynx, you shouldn't be anywhere near going down Car Wreck with out planing on walking most of it.
    Planning an STR ride for the opening day of this trail is a foolish idea to me. Why invite folks to ride down it, when they may have no idea what lies ahead of them?
    I've made that mistake with a ride that I put on a while back, and found out that a lot of the STR friends that showed up, were way over their heads.
    Progression is a great thing, and I'd love to see everyone be able to ride trails like Car Wreck. But please, work your way up to it first. That way, new "ride around" lines don't start popping up, and the trail doesn't lose it's appeal.
    We wouldn't take someone out and invite them to ride the Vision Quest without working their way up to it first. Let's treat trails like Car Wreck with the same respect.

Just something to think about.

15. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

^About that, there was some talk with Ranger Ed about making the trail a black-diamond run. I personally think that this is a great idea, for all the reasons mentioned above. It is no doubt the most difficult soon-to-be legal trail in the park (so I've been told).

I think this trail has the potential to get a ton of traffic, with all the people who frequent Mathis and TOW. The other difficult trails, Stairsteps and Five Oaks, are more out of the way and get a lot less traffic. Maybe the first drop off at the top, or the steep sections that follow, will deter the less-skilled riders from continuing on?

Hopefully the trail's reputation will precede it and people will know what to expect.

16. ebenke

ebenke Member

Project Director, architecture, technical side
    Great Work and Thanks to all the forty six trail doctors who devoted their time to help make this new trail a reality.

Very cool to see a new 'legal' trail at Aliso.

With a variety of terrain, I bet 'Car Wreck' is quickly going to become a favorite for all who ride it. I know I can't wait 'til it opens in a few days.

17. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Phuqin A, awsome!!! :bang:I haven't ridden Car Wreck in probably 10 years or at least for how ever long that it's been closed. I never thought that they would ever legalize it due to how technical it is and that the normal to advanced cyclist would be way over their heads. It probably would be an excellent idea to have a rating system for their trails. Car Wreck would probably have to be a double black diamond.

As for the hikers and joggers, if they do decide to use the trail I hope they have enough sense and unplug their F'n Ipods. There's nothing worse than trying to get the attention of some dumb ass that is plugged in and tuned out and then when you finally get their attention they panic and run right in front of you.

18. deja vu

deja vu done dirt cheap!

sweet!!! time to hit it!!

19. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Solution for maxwell: Have the STR group ride start at the bottom. Everybody rides what they can and hikes the rest. Since people care about the fastest up Cholla how about the fastest up Car Wreck?

20. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX

Bad idea. Even though it's a 2 way trail, like Lynx there are too many sections where the DHer would not be able to stop even if they wanted to cause in most cases there is only 1 line and some sections are too tight for 2 way traffic. Some trails should be left for descending IMHO.