Trail riding with the kids.

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by eatsrice91, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Low Pressure

Low Pressure New Member

I took my daughter and her cousin back to the Fullerton Loop (Laguna Lake)this past Sunday. We are still working on confidence building and she is still a little scared on the downhill slopes. Her cousin has hitting the berms all day and she decided to give it a try too. I was surprised how well she did. Towards the end of the day her rear tires washed out and she slid down with her bike. A part of the bike hit her hip and that made her cry and wanted to go home. Gave her the talk " you were doing so well, so don't give it up". Today she asked if I can take them there again tomorrow. :)
    [youtube]WL1wHtw12AY[/youtube]

2. eatsrice91

eatsrice91 NoMoSoCal

Yes
    Feburary 14, 2013: I took my son out today on his New SCOTT SCALE Jr. 20! All we both had to say is WOW!!! We hit the lower section of Oaks by the Boy Scout Camp, whipped through the singletrack stuff then down through the wash and back up the other side; Enter Chutes. @ SIX years old, he climbed all the way to Barham Ridge!!! I was completely taken back by his natural ability to get through the off camber switchbacks and get the gears back to the granny and get up over the "techy" stuff. I'm ONE PROUD DAD RIGHT NOW... What started out as a reward for his spelling ability and study skills at school became my reward when we hit the trail sign at the top! :clap:

If anyone is interested in riding with the kids tomorrow sometime after 3pm, let me know! Either going to Oaks or Whiting Ranch.

-Kevin
    IMAG1309.jpg IMAG1311.jpg IMAG1317.jpg IMAG1318.jpg

3. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    That's awesome!

4. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Very nice!

5. Low Pressure

Low Pressure New Member

Yesterday I ask my 5 year old son if he wanted to go for a bike ride. He said he wanted to go where I go biking. I ask him if he was sure, that he won't get scared? He said lets go! So while getting ready at the court house at Fullerton Loop, I prepped him how to hold the handle bar and how to stand when we are going over the bumps. Lets go lets go! Is all he wanted to tell me.
    [​IMG]
    We did the half loop and he did very well. Except he kept on telling me I'm too slow! This was at all the inclines. We said I needed to drink more water so I can go faster! He loves the downhill part at Kuttner. He's already asking that I take him back this Saturday.
    [​IMG]

6. WC-Rider

WC-Rider New Member

Nice... Future riders when grow up

7. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

eatsrice91 that is awesome!! 6 years old and riding up Chutes. I'm blown away. go little grom GO!! My 6-year old is cautious and so we have to take things real slow. So far I'm happy if he makes it to the bottom of chutes ;)

8. longboarderj

longboarderj Member

Land Surveying
    Home Page:
    Tell that young man that I like it! We will have to ride soon.

9. eatsrice91

eatsrice91 NoMoSoCal

Yes
    He says THANkS! We're always ready to go. I have to work Sundays but available after 330 during the week and fri/sat ANYTIME!

*This goes for anyone with kids, Feel free to post your rides, before and after! It's a blast to see how they do and a good workout for the adult! (hard gear and grind) ;)

10. eatsrice91

eatsrice91 NoMoSoCal

Yes
    I know it's last minute but anyone interested in riding with the lil groms in the morning??? I'm thinking either Whiting OR Ridge Park enterance @ bommer ridge. I'm open to ride time and location dependant on anyone going... LMK.

-Kevin

11. Samusick

Samusick OI!

Machinist
    Home Page:
    The train is retired now but am looking forward to seeing the older 2 on their own bikes and the youngest on the tag-along. Was thinking the swervy bit before Euclid would be a good place to start this weekend.

12. longboarderj

longboarderj Member

Land Surveying
    Home Page:
    1121121628f.jpg 1121121627e.jpg 1121121628.jpg 1121121654.jpg
    Wednesday @ 3:30pm I will have my kids out at Fairview park in Costa Mesa to do a little jumping, its also a good place for inexperienced kids to roll in the dirt and ride the small trails.

13. eatsrice91

eatsrice91 NoMoSoCal

Yes
    Had fun on Bommer Ridge, top of Rattlesnake, fence-line and missing link. Good times! Jon and I appreciate all the trail respect for him out there... Nothing like seeing a group of adults cheer you on when you've just peddled your lil butt off to get to the top of missing link! Jon had one spill on fence-line and the pack that was behind is was SUPER NICE and stopped to let us clear out, thanks guys and gal. We ended up with about 6 miles and it wasn't until mile 5 that Jon started to hit the wall. I was really stoked when we hit the "camelbak exit he saw the drop in and asked for pictures. I did one better and shot some video of him coming back down! We're working on pedal placement and actually standing while descending BUT I give him HUGE PROPS for dropping in 2x ! Not much longer until he's taking me out for a ride...:clap:.
    [video=youtube_share;e5p35mXcW08]http://youtu.be/e5p35mXcW08[/video]

14. eatsrice91

eatsrice91 NoMoSoCal

Yes
    We went out today for a little harder ride... Jon got his first taste of cacti this time out! He bounced the front wheel off a large rock sending him hard right and into cacti!!! Spent a few minutes plucking his legs then we pressed on! I don't know where he gets his tenacity, but I wish I had it! He's asking to ride with more kids so lets get a kid ride together sooner than later, this stuff is SO rewarding.
    http://app.strava.com/activities/42398667

-Kevin

15. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
  16. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    My wife has been bugging me to get a family ride going, and to make it a regular thing. Where are people with kids (esp. inexperienced/unsure kids) going to be this weekend? (Wife's showing an interest in my interest...better believe I'll find a way to get us there!!!)

17. longboarderj

longboarderj Member

Land Surveying
    Home Page:
    Riding Fairview tomorrow around 3:30pm. It's fun for experienced and inexperienced kids.

18. eatsrice91

eatsrice91 NoMoSoCal

Yes
    Going to try and make it out, may be a little late tho. let you know!

19. eatsrice91

eatsrice91 NoMoSoCal

Yes
    I might take my son out to whiting ranch or oaks again friday or saturday. Lost of stuff for everyone out there. Honored to show you around if you wish. Lets set something up. PM me
    -Kevin

20. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Thanks Kevin. PM sent.