Trail "Improvements" on Tijeras

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by biglimey, Jan 3, 2010.

1. stinky180

stinky180 Will make it Reign....

whenever i did those jumps, i had one or two other friends at the very end of the jumping area informing incoming riders/hikers/horses of me doing the 'stunts'. sucks that stupidass took it down.......

2. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    Illegal is illegal.

If I found a stunt that was put up with no authority to do so, I would clear it out too - if I had the time and tools to do so.

This type of crap is exactly why we get a bad rap as a whole from other users of the trails and leads to less access for the MTB crowd.

Like it was posted before, do it right and it won't be an issue

3. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    Not at all. [-X

S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. performs an important function. It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.

4. danlorek

danlorek New Member

i thought the whole S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. thing was a joke to be honest. it's great to hear there's someone out there who has the wonderful authority to remove anything that they deem shouldn't be there, nice.

5. kentonn

kentonn Rage against the Mods

Oh no, S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. is no joke. We are here to save you from yourself.

6. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    I jump the Rwanda 4 small kickers last month, before I left for Northern Arizona to visit my parents, they were fine, right after the jungle.

7. Rollnstone

Rollnstone ...

In typical S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. fashion, the worst hazard, which IS in the blind spot, is still a big pile of dirt (with broken wood on it). If it was still a jump you could at least roll over it. Now it might as well be a brick wall.

And the removal of the other jumps left a log sticking out onto the trail (I guess a 2 foot high bunny-hop is safer than performing a jump) and loose dirt for a quick OTB if you are not watching out.

When oh when will these S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S.'s stop going outdoors?!!!!!

8. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    perhaps in reality tis the work of the f.@.&.k.w.a.d.s :-k:lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2010
  9. Ladd Jasper

Ladd Jasper Full speed, half blind

Did you perchance take a gps waypoint of said 4 pack? You may expect an inquiry from STUPIDASS shortly.

10. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    The same place you'll be if she reads this!

11. kentonn

It is starting to sound like our foot soldiers may not have finished the job or made poor work of it. We apologize if our work has created other dangers and can assure you that we will correct these problems immediately. I will assemble a more experienced team and dispatch them to the location tomorrow. We will also remove the pile of dirt in the blind turn. This problem was reported to us early this morning. We have a reconnaissance team in the area as we speak and should be able to resolve all issues by tomorrow.

12. MV Rider

MV Rider New Member

The jumps were put in a few years ago as part of the 50 mile Rawanda ride. FYI, mountain biking is inherently dangerous, that's why we wear helmets and ride the bikes we do. Part of the thrill of mountain biking is the inherent dangers faced in engaging in this activity. I've done the jumps in the past. I've heard of no one getting hurt while the jumps were being used.

On another note, what makes your organization the "entity" that determines what can and can't be on trails? Is your organization going to sanitize other trails because they're too steep, rocky, sketchy, have jumps and/or have too big of a drop off? In other words, what made your organization the "Big Brother" of mountain bike trails?

I've been mountain biking riding for a number of years and have ridden a number of very hard and demanding trails across California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Hawaii and New Mexico. I believe I am more than capable of determining how to deal with trail obstacles and structures. I suggest you assume those who use the trails can best determine how to deal with the trails they ride.

13. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

I think the S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. members are yankin' yer chain!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

14. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    well with nuthing around to huck i would expect a little member yankin, err i mean big member yankin ;)

15. slayer

slayer New Member

Nope this is 100% real. We take our jobs very seriously.

16. coffeespecial

coffeespecial Member

what time??
    us d.u.m.b.a.s.s.e.s will be waiting with sticks!:protest:

17. slayer

slayer New Member

I witnessed this unsafe act last week, I think we need to take care of this area also.

Attached Files:

18. kentonn

You sound like you have a tremendous amount of experience riding over tricky terrain. As you mentioned in your post, mountain biking is inherently dangerous but that doesn't mean that we have to take additional risks by riding over poorly designed jumps. I am sure you have had your share of injuries and can appreciate our concern for your well-being.

How did we become the Big Brother of mountain biking? Well first off, we are not alone. There are other organizations out there performing the same function in many of the states you had mentioned. How do we decide what should be there and what should be removed? Well first we determine if it is a natural part of the trail. If not and it is even slightly dangerous, we will remove it. If it is a natural part of the trail and we feel that it presents a real danger, we will meet with the parties responsible for the trail to discuss a possible solution.

Currently we are in discussions with OC Parks over the Aliso Woods trail Rock-it. There have been too many injuries on this trail so we are hoping to fill-in/remove the two main rock gardens. If we are successful in our negotiations, we will then ask them to rename the trail to Stroll-it. We figure a laid-back relaxing name like Stroll-it may help people ride the trail a relaxing pace. In addition to safety, this will also allow the rider so the absorb some of the beautiful scenery.

We are happy to welcome outside opinions about current topics or our organization. We hold a public meeting once a month and everyone is invited. The next meeting is scheduled at Captain Cream's in Lake Forest. This meeting will take place on Saturday, Jan. 23rd at 6:00 pm. We hope to see you there. :)

Violence is a really dangerous lifestyle and not one that I care for. I choose peace!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2010
  19. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    I sure hope you have given appropriate consideration to the addition of escalators, or perhaps a funicular on Rock-It, err, "Stroll-It," and perhaps on Mathis too.

20. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    When did they take the T-Bar lift out?