Trail Conditions: Grizzly Flats to Hoyt Trail to Clear Creek to Switzer

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by kamaekia, Feb 29, 2008.

1. kamaekia

kamaekia Overpaid Grunt

Actuary
    Home Page:
    Sorry, no pictures, just an update on the trail conditions. :-(

I rode up the Grizzly Flats fireroad to the Hoyt Trailhead and then down to Clear Creek station and then did the short singletrack over to Switzer's camp and then back to the car. The weather was gorgeous and trail conditions were great.

Here are some specifics about the trails:

I would like to give a big THANKS to whoever (maybe the forest department?) did trail work on the fireroad climb to the Hoyt trailhead. The first 2/3 of a mile are on the main Grizzly Flats fireroad which eventually makes its way up to Mount Lukens. At the 2/3 mile mark, there is a Y intersection and a fireroad that goes right and heads up to the Hoyt trail. I think it must be an old utility fireroad as it is not well maintained. It has a very nice singletrack feel to it with lots of rock slides. A month ago when I rode this after the first big rains, there were big rocks all over the place causing me to do more HAB than I would have liked. Someone moved a lot of the rocks. This section of fireroad is about 1.3 miles.

The last time I rode the Hoyt trail, there were fallen branches and brush all over the place. Some of the branches/trees were quite large and needed a chainsaw to cut them off. Someone has cut back most of the brush. I moved a few big rocks off the trail and a tree stump. The trail itself is in great shape with no discernible rain damage. The part I have to walk is the one big washout about 1/2 a mile down from the start of the trail. But that washout has been there for a while, so that isn't new. At the bottom of the trail, there is a nice stream running. Unfortunately, the stream has washed out part of the trail crossing and you have to do a little climbing as it is about a 3 foot climb to get back onto the trail.

The singletrack that meanders around The Pines picnic area and eventually makes it way to Clear Creek station is in fine shape.

The singletrack that goes from Clear Creek station to Switzer's picnic area is fast and in excellent shape. I saw the forest department last week doing some work on the trail, cutting back brush, etc.

2. brownlandshark

brownlandshark New Member

Great report! Done that ride many times but it's been a while.

3. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Just when you think you've rode about everything......