trail bells(merged)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by roadkillross, Aug 21, 2006.

1. BAD_S197

BAD_S197 New Member

EMT
    I prefer the old school rubber ball (honk honk) horn... it's much funnier.

2. Big Guy

Big Guy New Member

Engineer
    I wished some hikers we more careful, yesterday going down cactus in Withing, I got into a curve and this gorgeous woman stood there with a newborn baby on a baby rack on her chest. It scared me so much. I would have made nightmares if the baby got hurt. Who needs to hike so much that they have to carry an infant up a singletrack heavily traveled by mountain bikers. I think it is irresponsible, regardless where one stands on the hikers/bikers issue.

I had a great Fat Tire Ale Bell on my Coiler, but the guy who bought it insisted on keeping it and paying full asked price, I could not resist. :)

3. bikelmo

bikelmo Member

I'm with the thumb bell group. I find that ringing the bell with a friendly "hello" is better than yelling in advance. And anyway, I like to FORCE people to be friendly, dammit! Have a nice day! Or else. . .

4. bobzrag

bobzrag bonedaddy

i first bought my bear bell after coming down cactus at whiting and almost running into a horse and rider, luckily he had his head up!

i've gotten thanks from many hikers who appreciate knowing a bike is there - i find it's great, it gets their attention far enough away that they don't get startled, i slow down to show respct and say hi, how ya doing as i pass by

5. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    I have a different opinion on this. I use a bell and I softly ring it when I'm pretty far back from another trail user. If they don't appear to hear me, I'll ring it again as I get closer.

PLUS, I always greet people. It's the polite thing to do. If they respond to my bell by waving a hand to pass, or otherwise, I thank them.

It's been my experience that by NOT using a bell, it's easy to startle someone. When riding slow and quiet, I've had old ladies nearly jump out of their skins. That ain't cool.

That's just my opinion on it.
    Rob

6. JustBike

JustBike New Member

great subject.. I didn't think about using a bell but definately this would help. I just yell "corner" when i'm turning on a blind turn

7. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Why not mix it up with a song?
    "He'll be comin' round the mountain..."

:drunk:

8. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    I ride Aliso a lot and when I go up trails like Rock it, I'm fully aware that there are riders going down it. There are a lot of blind spots on Rock it and a couple dings from my bell has warned the opposite traffic that I was climbing.

I also came up on a group of 20 female hikers on Coyote one day and gave them a little ding as I heard them talking through the trees. When I finally came around the corner, they were off the trail, smiled and thanked me for the warning. I greeted them, thanked them as rode SLOWLY by them.

Like most have said, for me it's just a courtesy call to let them know I'm there. Not that I'm about to BOMB past them. I ding my bell, smile and thank them. 99.9% of the time, I'm thanked and greeted with a smile.

9. sladnas

sladnas Gumby

I usually aim directly at them with my legs stickin' out so if they run I still have a chance of nailing 'em.

10. Paul000

Paul000 Gravity is your friend

CPA and Tax Coach
    Home Page:
    That bell that REI sells looks like a good deal... for only about $4 you get a bell with a magnetic cover to make the ringing stop if you're annoyed at times.

Last time i was on the Fully Loop, it seemed i scared more than one jogger... one jogger didn't hear me because he was wearing his iPod... when I finally said hello, he almost jumped out of his skin. hopefully a bell can help avoid this on future rides...

also in Chino Hills state park, there are a few single tracks with blind spots... the bell will definately help in this area fo sure!!

great thread!!! i wouldn't have even considered a bell without this topic.....:clap:

11. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    Hey Paul,
    Just got in from doing the North Ridge to Four Corners and back down the canyon. No bell needed today. It just sat there on my bars looking cool.

Rob

12. emejay

emejay most annoying avatar

dentist
    I just put a bell on my bike last week and I like it. I don't find it annoying and hikers seem to appreciate the warning. I never heard of a "bear bell" until this post, but I'll go to REI to get one (I've got a cheesy parakeet bell now, need more bell MOJO).8)

13. snowdenn

snowdenn New Member

yeah, i had an feisty old lady tell me to get a bell even though i slowed down, she heard me coming, i gave a greeting, and there was plenty of space where i passed her.

14. Endo Verendo

Endo Verendo sure

studio camera operator
    Home Page:
    Hikers LOVE bells! I get thanked all the time. They don't need to stop and see where you are, they just move to the side a little. Riding without one seems like a chore. Hikers HATE "on your left" or even "HELLO!" Scares the crap out of them, makes them stop. Been riding with my bell for 5 years now and it feels like standard equipment... like my helmet, gloves and bike shoes. I broke it once and hated riding without it.

Click on the link in my signature to buy a cheap bell and help Corba save our trails.

15. Edog

Edog Member

I just run Avid Rotors with Hayes Calipers & let the squealing announce my arrival

16. nomad

nomad New Member

truck mechanic
    So I Guess An Air Horn Is Out Of The Question

17. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    I am always happy to ring the bell after I huck the poor sap. I especially like to use the bell, while backpedalling loudly, to scare the horses in order to expedite their arrival at the glue factory......stupid horses

18. mullarks

mullarks New Member

Investment Research
    Probably the only freaking time you have ever slowed down! :lol:

19. tbowren

tbowren New Member

That link on your sig isn't working.

20. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    mmmmmmmm.......lesbian hiking