Traffic ticket because of a bike rack?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by profnachos, Sep 29, 2011.

1. stinky180

stinky180 Will make it Reign....

They're just doing their jobs.. geez

2. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    This has been the case in Arizona for many years because of the highway speeding cameras. In Arizona if the license plate frame can not obscure the states name or you will also get a ticket. CA has been more tolerant about obscuring rear plates because we have to have a front plate.

I have been behind trucks with 4 bikes on the back and you can barely see the brakes lights during daylight hours.

Dean

3. Lone ranger

Lone ranger Guest

I have had two friends pulled over for having ball on bumper blocking plates

4. Heyitsdave

Heyitsdave Member

Why must people leave their hitch mount bike racks on all the time in the first place? They end looking beat up and it's a good way to get it stolen. I leave the roof racks on cause it's a PIA to take it off every single time, plus, you need a step ladder.
    The hitch rack I install only when I use it, and check this out- I actually remove it and place it in the back of the Suburban while we are out riding, that way I know it will be there when we get back to the car. Yea, I'm paranoid, but I've had many vehicle theft issues over the years.

5. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

If I went about my job in this manner, I'd be fired within the week. Spending all your time on busy work when there are real issues to deal with!
    The ability to see ones license plate has nothing to do with public safety. Perhaps I'm just an ole-timer... I remember the days when cops were here to serve and protect. Too much of their time is spent collecting taxes these days.

6. Racer X

Racer X Member

7. bing!

bing! Active Member

Another example of the gummint stealing your money. A buddy of mine just got a ticket for talking on his cellphone while his car was parked. He was in the action of putting it down as he drove away from the curb. 20 buck ticket plus plus. Turned out to be 70 and change.

8. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Do you know how much a T2 4 bike rack weights? And what a pain the two different size bolts are to tighten and loosen - not to mention putting it in, or finding a place for it in the garage?? Not to mention, I know that it's roughly $550-$600 to replace if stolen. Yes, I have had thefts in the past as well, but mine won't fit in my Tahoe - nor would I want it to. Just sayin...

As for your rack, it is not legal to block your plate without bikes, neither is an overly tinted driver window, etc.... Be nice and not drunk when pulled over and generally not a problem.

My time to ride is so precious with grandkids, kid in sports, hubby and all -- the quickness of throwing on ANY type of bike, from the BMX to the skate park, beach cruiser to the beach, MTN to the trail -- it totally outweighs the need to take it off.

3+ years and counting, never pulled over for 'that' .... yet.

9. lucky13biker

lucky13biker New Member

This!

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk.

10. Teebird

Teebird A band-aid isn't going to work this time

What a coincidence. I saw a Subaru Outback with a Thule 2 bike rack folded up and the license plate attached to the actual bike rack. He looked as though he permanently mounted it to the bike rack. I use a rack on my pickup truck and leave it on the truck as much as possible. Had a friend get pulled over on Ortega Highway because his hitch ball mounted to his bumper partially blocked the plate. BS!

11. kingaucho

kingaucho Member

Has anyone actually been pulled over and ticketed for having a hitch rack while transporting a bike? Just curious. I finally bought and installed a hitch rack last week and now I am a little nervous to use it.

12. Monster Mash

Monster Mash New Member

Tell them the rack is for your 2 wheel wheel chair....

"(h) (1) It is the intent of the Legislature that an accommodation be made to persons with disabilities and to those persons who regularly transport persons with disabilities, to allow the removal and relocation of wheelchair lifts and wheelchair carriers without the necessity of removing and reattaching the vehicle's rear license plate. Therefore, it is not a violation of this section if the reading or recognition of a rear license plate is obstructed or impaired by a wheelchair lift or wheelchair carrier and all of the following requirements are met:"

13. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Where are the str mtb cops to weigh in on this?

14. grimix

grimix New Member

I just drive without plates. That way the hitch doesn't block anything and attract attention. Keep the dealer sale/registration tag on the windshield for life.

15. dirttorpeedo

dirttorpeedo drive monkey, drive!

maint. for a oversized school district
    My friend's wife got pulled over and got a ticket on the 241 toll road because of the Thule hitch bike rack was obstructing the license plate. She had a transponder, but that did not matter. Because the license plate is not fully visible, the camera cannot capture the license number, hence the ticket.

That sucks. So to be in compliance, I take it you would have to mount the license plate on the visible side of the bike rack?[/QUOTE]
    i say EF EM! get into a hi speed chase and drive like you stole it!

16. Racer X

Racer X Member

17. charlesinoc

charlesinoc Hello.

Home Page:
    i was pulled over and cited for not wearing a seat belt. (rotator cuff) he looked like a rookie. real courteous never said a thing about my t2. i drive 5 mph max over speed limit on toll road (my apology to those offended) I've always wondered sometimes i get a long look from a passing chp on toll road. always blue tooth cell phone calls, shut off navigation screen at night....is it because of my t2? or ???

18. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I was with a friend riding in Aliso that had been doing that and when we got back they had towed his car.

19. live_in_hilo@yahoo.com

[email protected] hilo boi

hvac
    looool, i just got pulled over for that. hahahaha. luckly the dude just gave me a warning.

20. strobe

strobe resident noob

The law is to not obstruct the license plate. If your friends wife didn't realize this was an offense, i'm sorry.Unfortunately, ignorance of the law is also not a defense. Now she knows though and can correct the offense. A warning would have been nicer, but, too many ppl take the warning and don't correct the offense.

As a lot of us here that use to drive without a seatbelt before it was a law, i can sympathize. Although, i am in full agreement as to why there is now a seatbelt law. If your saying that you weren't wearing a seatbelt because of your rotator cuff, i don't think thats an excuse. Walk, take a cab, ride a bus, call a friend. The law is there to help save lives.

I have done things that weren't legal and have been caught. I knew it wasn't legal and had a reason for doing each offense. For me, the ticket was less expensive than the tow truck fee. Worth it. I then payed my fine and moved on. No complaining how my license plate can be seen if you stand at a 35 degree angle and 3 feet away or it would be visable if the police camera's had xray capabilities. If you choose to continue with the unlawful actions, that must mean its worth the penalty.

I know i'm a killjoy, but, complaining about getting caught and trying to weasle out of it is just pityful. Taking responsibility for our actions is much more honorable, imo.