Tour de Tryptophan

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by andy aka rut, Oct 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TMS

TMS New Member

Always a fun event, I'm in for a couple of laps on Fri and a couple on Sat.

2. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

Not to be Debbie Downer but this kid's dad is a higher up at Oakley. Shouldn't their medical coverage be covering the cost of his treatment? This money should go to poor kids with Leukemia not some bike industry insider who access to every major marketing outlet to raise for his care. I'll be donating my money to someone who really needs it.

3. TMS

TMS New Member

Wow, not too harsh or anything. I say if you can, give to both.

4. hobie

hobie Member

thats a lot of assuming and a strong conclusion to the assuming before getting all the facts for sure.

does anyone know if there will be hoodies or tshirts there to buy on site at the fully loop?

5. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Hey Jeff

Yes a "race" bike, don't for the quotes! Just a little project frame I picked up a little while ago.:lol:

Tallboy has been good and have absolutely no desire to replace it........now that's a first for me in a long time!#-o

6. thomaswildchild

thomaswildchild Active Member

I am a Machinist
    Home Page:
    Well just asuming here, if he didn't need help there probably wouldn't be a fund raiser for it. We all know how crappy the economy is right now. The health care system isn't easy to deal with. Its like saying "no offence" then completely berating someone.

Put yourself in someone else shoes for a min.

7. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

As long as we are assuming here....

I'm assuming the coordinator of the event is a good friend of the Blick family. Every year this event helps someone in need-its the Blick's turn. I'm assuming Steve Blick would NEVER ask for help. He is an industry insider who needs it. Does it really matter who the person in need is?
    I know my med insurance doesn't cover all my needs at times; and I really don't go to the doctors all that often. I couldn't imagine the mental stress, let along the financial strain caused by a life threatening disease! No one is telling you to donate. If you want to help out a little boy that would be wonderful.

8. dirtyPG

dirtyPG New Member

Graphics at Oakley
    Tyler is going to be undergoing 3-1/2 years of chemotherapy, which adds up to a lot of hospital visits and subsequent co-pays. Not to mention, Steve's medical insurance with Oakley probably carries a deductible somewhere around $5000 annually. It's very possible that Tyler's cancer fight could cost the Blick family upwards of $20-25k over the next few years, if not more.

Regardless, I think you're missing the point of the Tour de Tryptophan - it's just a bunch of mountain bikers getting together to raise money for other mountain bikers in need. Sure, you can give your money to other charities, and I hope that you do, but don't get your panties in a wad when we want to help out other like-minded riders, while having fun riding our bikes at the same time.

Moreover, Steve Blick has helped develop all the great Oakley cycling product that we use and love. Why wouldn't you want to support that guy?

9. pmortuary

pmortuary They call me D2

Lead CAD Designer
    Okay one last one. I'm sure people have said enough, but remember that long term treatments also equals lots of time off from work for the parents and significant others of the patient. It's nice to help people in need. I hope you have lots to be thankful for this Holiday.

10. EC1

EC1 New Member

Hey Debbie...It's not about Tyler's fathers contacts to major media, the company he works for or its insurance coverage....it's about a kid in need, and its one of our family of cyclist.

Assumption here, but i would be surprised if your a parent,

As a parent you would run through fire to help your child, So for Steve to use his media contacts to help his son is a no brainer.

Anyone who feels like the Blick family should be less worthy of help due to Steve's position at Oakley is crazy.

Listen Debbie, I agree with you, poor children need help just as well but I can tell you with 100% confidence that Steve and his family would ask for nothing if they had it all covered and I am positive any money the Blicks don't use in this fund raising will be donated to the cause of helping another child win this terrible fight.

You should be ashamed of your post here.

I look forward to seeing everyone support Tyler's fight Friday afternoon at the loop.

11. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

As the parent to a 13 and 11 year old I couldn't even imagine having one of them diagnosed with anything more than a cold would be like. I really feel for Tyler and his family. By all means I really wish he makes a full recovery and goes on to lead a long and fulfilling life. His family is lucky enough to have access to the very best care this country offers.

My point is there are children in this country that live about 10 miles from all of us who have been diagnosed with similar ailments yet no one is out there campaigning for them. Very few parents have the access to the media the Blick family has. There are parents have no health coverage, no home to borrow against, car to sell, etc.

I liken it to the public schools my kids attend asking for parent donations due to budget cuts. There are schools less than 5 miles away that the budget cuts have a much bigger effect on their education due to their socioeconomic than kids that live in in a city where the median home income level is rought 300% above the poverty level. Making a donation of any level to these schools to help with their most basic educational need would have a much more positive impact than my kids losing an extracurricular activity they can get at home.

Does Tyler Blick deserve the very best of course. So does every other child and I don't see many people standing up for them

12. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

Agreed!

13. 1mtbjunkie

1mtbjunkie 3.2 blocks to beachwood

underwear model
    I do have to say having good insurance is a blessing.Regardless Copays, prescriptions,tests are not always covered ,and can become quite expensive.Like Ec1 pionted out. There is nothing i would'nt do for my kids...VIVA LE TRYPTOPHAN!

14. EC1

EC1 New Member

All good points, every child fighting this and other horrible diseases deserves health care, regardless of who they may or may not have as parents and what income level they are born into.

I guess where i take offense to this is that blowing out one candle doesn't make another burn brighter....you should have never said any negative on the Blick family at all.

BTW, I spoke with Steve long before this thread was started, and i know he is not only looking into ways to raise money towards helping his son but all children in this situation.

15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Wow.....this thread turned into a

[​IMG]

16. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Sooo - back on track we go...

When are the festivities, e.g., the crowning of the KING (or Queen - sorry Gene, I don't think there is a woman on the planet that can take...but, you never know, and maybe rut will wear a dress ;))? I would love to bring the kid out for a loop and join in with the end of the event fun - lunch or brews before the long needed nap for the main riders.

I will need to consider the amount of time it will take he and I to finish our loop to be there to root on the last incoming of the groups. And to buy a shirt for my son who is a LEGO FREAK (currently in a marathon club that will finish their 'marathon' at LegoLand in Feb) and to support a great cause. Also hope to see some fold familiar faces and meet some new ones.

Hoping to maybe find a few more extra credit 'launch' sites this time around.

17. Evoracer

Evoracer "That Guy"

Mgr
    Did a Loop today with a nice group. Its in good shape from the recent rain. Some muddy spots per usual, but everything is passable. Dirt is SLOW in most areas, plan accordingly.

18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

With the wind blowing today.....it should dry it out pretty quick.

19. TheJohnG

TheJohnG simple

Design Drafter
    I don't know about you guy's but the kid and I are going to do a little ride at the loop tomorrow.
    Better get some sleep.

20. menotakoala

menotakoala New Member

Insurance Agent
    This noob will be there for a lap or 2 or 3 after I get off from work. See you all in the evening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.