Tour de France

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Pain Freak, Jun 21, 2010.

1. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    "Most important is that I leave with a good attitude. I've had bad luck and I know that I can't change that. But I've had seven years with hardly a flat, hardly a crash. It’s logical that luck catches up with you. I wish I could change it but I can't. I just have to hold my head high, ride for the team and go out having fun." - Pretty cool attitude and probably not what most LA opponents expect to hear from him. Hold your head up high Lance - you've earned it!

2. hav77

hav77 Member

Environmental Planner
    This year's thread is so much more quiet compared to last year's.

3. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    IMHO the new web site style is slowing all posting.

4. lkn2ryd

lkn2ryd Member

Court Advocate, Property Manager
    Have not been on STR in a while....this new format is troubling, I don't like change. What was soooo wrong with the old ways? TdF, loving AS and LA and LL! Chris Horner is growing on me big time (like a mole or sumptin) I want LA to get into a legit break-a-way and burn rubber! Make some agreements with others in the peloton and do some grand damage! I love the suffering! Party on troops...we still have time, and anything can happen!

5. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    I miss the old format, too, but I'm so appreciative of all the hard work to clean out the malware :clap:

This year's race is so volatile. Lots of bad crashes involving top riders, bad luck for Lance but he's hanging in there, Cadel's ups and downs..

The scenery is amazing.. today's stage looked like a European Yosemite. I'm addicted to the TDF-- and its great this year!

Happy Bastille Day! :beer:

6. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Yeah, me too. Even though I know who wins the stage I still come home and watch the whole damn thing again. My son asked what I was going to do when it was over? Over? It can't ever be over, don't do this to me. I need my daily tour! I'll probably cry a little then go out for a bike ride.

7. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    I think there's been at least one guy crying every day in this Tour. Cadel yesterday. Cav the day he won his first sprint. I don't remember who else. As for the lively thread from last year, this year we had a 'virus' affect this site so lots of people are gone.
    Lance is not in contention anymore for the GC so people have tuned out. Last year was epic with his third place, this year you have to be a road race fan all around to stick it out.
    GO...um....rats, I don't really care for Levi for some reason. I don't know who to cheer for. :?:

8. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    Denis Menchov won last year's Giro even though he went down hard in the final ITT. If you not a fan of the current top two, you might send some Pyreneal vibes his way?!?

9. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    OK, so I'm a day behind or so- watching the Col de Madeliene on the DVR and the polka dot has been dropped. Kinda ironic,eh? The best climber can't hang on a climb.
    I know what happens due to the intrawebs and the twexters - but I still have to see it happen.
    Vino just took off, will he put more time into his own team leader?

OK, so Maddy is like 10 Newport Coasts back to back up to mile high plus. That's some climbing. NCD kicks my ass like a rented mule.

10. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    it is nice to be able to come back here after the virus issue, but it is not the same and we have lost quite a few, I for one am not a fan of the new but I am old and stuck in my ways. As for the TDF daily DVR and late nights after work, LA has a great attitude but damn I wish his luck had gone another way, the big S has got to be happy with the Tarmac's up front...

11. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    Wow. Renshaw kicked out of le Tour for headbutting on the sprint today.
    I haven't seen it yet though - will catch it tonite.

12. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    The HD coverage this year is spectacular... in addition to the bike race, the french countryside is just plain awesome. I just can't imagine riding 6 inches away from others doing 45 mph... those sprints really are exciting!

13. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    He did head butt Julian Dean several times. However, while I was watching it the first time, it looked to me like Julian Dean was pushing him off toward the barriers and Renshaw head butted him more in a defensive manner (Hey where are you pushing me off to, get back on your line)

Think what dug him in though was that once Julian Dean was out of the picture Renshaw totally blocked Tyler Farrar, who had to practically ride around him completely, which by that time took him out of contention.

14. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Dean got by Renshaw and had position...Renshaw was trying to keep one bike width to his left up the barriers so Cav could come through since riders right was blocked by Dean/Farrar/Petacchi. Renshaw lost pole position by trying to keep the left side too narrow and tried to lean Dean off, but couldn't move him with Dean ahead so therein lies the need to head-but. Pretty obvious, pretty ugly, and then when he pulls of the sprint he doesn't maintain his line and looks right at Farrar before closing him down along the barriers. Classless.

I'm pretty sure that the judges remember some of the horrific crashes that occur when someone not sprinting decides to not hold their line, let alone when the sprinters starting veering all over the place.

I wonder if Cav could wind it up if he has to come off of someone else's wheel and jump around them, like Farrar, Petacchi, Thor have done so far. The one stage Cav didn't have the lead-out right, he gave up. Lets see if he's as good as he thinks he is, or if he's only good with Renshaw and the "Shake-and-Bake".

Last year, Garmin cornered the classless when they chased down Hincapie...looks like HTC-Columbia is this year's villain.

Would be nice to see some attacks by someone in the top 15 in GC through the country roads tomorrow with a flat stage between it and the Pyrenees given that yesterday, and most of today until the final 40k was a virtual rest day.

15. nerdgirl

nerdgirl Ronin

Cog in the federal justice machine
    Home Page:
    Man, I hate Versus. They keep interrupting my commercial viewing with a bike race. What's up with that? ;)

Seriously-- does anyone have a better channel to view the Tour than Versus, because they are *awful*

16. LukeTrailrider

LukeTrailrider Member

No kidding. Now if you will excuse me, I need to register my road id, pre-order a Nissan leaf, and drink a 12 pack of michalob light.

17. deja vu

deja vu done dirt cheap!

You are almost forced to DVR it. I FF through all the commercials and love it!

18. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Vesus not bad if you record it and edit the commericals.

I don't follow road racing and I am not sure about the rules but that display by Renshaw was ugly and I would have booted him to. I thought there was mutal respect and a sence of chivary at the tour, not a win at any lenghts attutude. Besides not a Cav fan.

Dean

19. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Actually the Versus Tour Tracker online is great. Same exact thing you see on TV but without the commercials and human interest stories. You just watch the entire stage without any interuptions and with full commentary from the same folks as on TV. Yes its $29 per Tour but imo well worth it. Plus you can watch any stage whenever you want to and don't have to kill a morning pre-work ride in order to watch it. I'm planning to catch today's stage during my lunch break and just fast forward through some of the earlier parts of the stage.

20. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Next year I'll buy the Tour Tracker.