Torn ACL/Right Knee

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by Dodgerblu, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Dodgerblu

Dodgerblu New Member

PRIOR NAVY
    This has been the saddest day of my life. Found out I'll be having surgery on Sep 18 for an ACL tear. Won't be riding for a few months... This will be my first sergery ever. I hope i recover quickly cause I'm gonna miss riding!!!!

2. irv_usc

irv_usc Active Member

Bummer. My wife just had surgery for a broken ankle and can't put any weight on it for at least 6 weeks.

Another friend just had acl surgery and has to wear a compression sleeve on both legs with a giant brace on the knee.

3. HardtailBlazer

HardtailBlazer Member

Thats a bummer man!!! Im out with a crushed finger that the doc screwed up with the wrong stitches now i have to go backwards a few days and get them taking out and the correct ones back in, LAME!!! Your surgery will go perfectly! I had one last year that freaked me out but everything went smoothly! Just focus on one thing at a time, surgery, recovery, rehab and next thing you know you will be back on the bike! Good Luck and Feel better!

4. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    You'll be surprised how quickly the down time goes by. Best advice I can offer is to not skimp on the P/T. Good luck.

5. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    Que triste!

Get into PT as soon as you can post-op. And be a good patient so that you can get back in the saddle fast. El Cap/Kirk had surgery this spring and he's back to killing it. Good luck!

6. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

heal up. feeling your pain right now. I'm on week 8 of three metacarpal fractures that are supposed to heal in 6, but I'm not a good patient. Moral is: be a good patient and follow dr's orders :)

7. irv_usc

irv_usc Active Member

Yeah, listen to your doc, not your dad...

8. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

Having two acl surgeries and liking them so much i'm getting a 3rd one done, as stated make sure to do your physical therapy and don't rush recovery. On the positive, if things go smooth, you should be healed up by spring.

9. badgas

badgas I like dirt

X 2 on PT.

I had ACL reconstruction in 94 and the knee is still going strong but the therapy is way bigger deal than the surgery ( assuming its done properly ) stick with it and be patient don't rush things. if you are getting a patellar tendon autograft and not a donor tendon you really need to let the bone and kneecap heal before you push it. The good news it that it will heal up well and you will have a strong joint that you can rely on.

I would also suggest talking to your physical therapist before surgery and get as much advice as they can give you on what do in the time after surgery before you start therapy.

keep your head up and think crockpot not microwave with your rehab.

When the time comes , A nice spin bike in front of the TV is always better that lying on the couch eating ice cream.

Good luck

10. Jotaro

Jotaro New Member

did it tear from riding mtb?

11. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Go to PT, work hard, and you'll be stronger than you were before surgery.

Great youre already into biking. It's a closed chain activity so its one of the better things you can do for rehab (once you're cleared) that won't endanger your repaired knee.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

12. Zulu

Zulu New Member

I had the ACL (95) on one leg and ACL/MCL (05) with minuscus tear on the other. I thought is was a joke to do PT before the surgery but I was a good boy and did everything my Doc told me to do. I was full weight bearing after the surgery and fully released to MTB & hockey 4 months after surgey. I did every thing they told me to do and had them tell me what I couldnt do but pushed it up to the max of every exercise and daily routines. For example, the PT gave me home exercises to do post op and said do these every waking hour and I did them 12-15 times a day. Took lots of naps/rest, tons of ice, and stretching. I tried to think of it as healing process. The strenght comes back faster than the range of motion.
    Do what the Doctor and PT tell you to do and you will be back before you know it.

13. el cap

el cap Active Member

I had ACL (torn) surgery on my right knee last April and had my knee drained 3x after surgery due to extreme swelling under and around my knee cap even with that constant ice machine wrapped around my knee. I was on crutches for about 1 and 1/2 months and I started physical therapy and pool therapy with light ankle weights in early May through the end of June. Time really flies by and you will be back on the bike before you know it. I must say that a stationary bike and pool therapy will be the best for your knee. I just went to my community pool and used it everyday for about 2 hours. As someone mentioned above, don't skip out on PT. Additionally, you might want to take-up hiking and use hiking poles after your doc gives you a clear. It will build up your knee muscles and it gives you a different perspective of your local trails... and maybe do some trail work while you at it. Try to take up other hobbies and you should be back riding by Thanksgiving. :wave:

14. Craw

Craw New Member

I tore my ACL in 2002, in Huntington Beach while trying to click my heels twice in mid air. I was, as my friends call it "In the spirit world", totally hammered.

I didn't get the surgery til 2004, and by then the injury got worse, affecting my meniscus as well. I agree with what previous responses have said. Do not cheat or skimp out on PT. Hit it hard.

The overall recovery was very fast. I had little downtime. I requested the meanest physical therapist available and had them basically work me as hard as they could to get me back in action. It hurt but was definitely worth it.

Get the surgery, hit PT hard and you'll be back and active in no time.

15. wartorn

wartorn Member

zombie knee or replace with your own parts?

one of my buddies got a zombie ligament and healed up really fast.
    patellar tendon graft here.

16. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Everyone cries in PT right? Well at least that's what my therapist told me.

17. Craw

Craw New Member

I went for the zombie ligament. Donor ACL. Allograft or something. It's been solid.

18. Dodgerblu

Dodgerblu New Member

PRIOR NAVY
    Thanks everyone for the advice and all! That's why I like this place, seems like one big family!!!

19. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    good healing vibes

20. maximililian

maximililian You Sneaky Cork-Soaker!

Owner of "Club Moronie" the finest fargin legit es
    Figure a good 9-12 months b4 you're back to "normal". Did you get more than 1 opinion? I've not had surgeries that I've been told I "had to have"....even based on the MRI "results". Miraculously.....I'm fine. Just sayin ;) That might sound nuts....depending on your situation...but thought I'd throw it out there.
    PT will be the challenge...but you can do it. The CPM machine (I assume this will be Rx'd and hopefully covered) is key. GOOD LUCK!