TOO much of a good thing...

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by sheclimbs, Nov 4, 2007.

1. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Heal up soon! Meanwhile, you may need a full Netflix onslaught!

2. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

I finally got courious and opened this thread. I'm sorry and glad I did. Shannon I wish the best for you. Heal fast girl!!!

3. Hanzo

Hanzo .

Is that likely hood pertain to mountain bikers too?

Seriously just looking at that xray looks painful. How is that ball looking thing going to get back into the socket?

4. Shannon

Shannon ........

Perhaps to avoid another dislocation, I'll avoid bridges at all cost.. #-o

They had to put me under before they could but the bone back into the socket. Bruce was in the the room, he said it took 5 people to re-set my shoulder. Just looking at my own x-ray makes me queasy. The pain is no where near the level it was when I hiked out of the park. When it's re-set, most of the pain goes away.

5. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Hi Shannon, geez louise! I had no idea! I am so sorry! Of course it could have been much worse what with the rocks and cacti. Imagine pulling eensy beensy cactus needles out of your rear as well as the messed up shoulder.
    Poison oak under a sling is a nightmare also. Is this a bad karma pay back? What'd you do? And to who??
    I wish I could help out somehow. (Sorry, I'm broke.:))
    Aside from that. I have a trainer I don't use anymore I could lend you when you are ready. If you don't own a road bike, you can throw slicks on your mtn bike. That is quite a ways down the line but it will help bring your fitness back without the jarring. I'll FedEx (since you seem to love FedEx so much ;))it to you if you want. They are cheap at Performance too if you want your own.
    I had a friend break both hands and a collar bone once. Her mom had to move in with her and do things to her she hadnt had to do since she was a baby. I'd kill myself! Anyway, take your pain meds. It promotes healing to not be in pain! Take care!!
    Liz
    Be Tough Chick!

6. stjunkie

stjunkie New Member

Sorry to hear about the crash. I've got a bad shoulder that pops out once in awhile so I know the pain you're in. Take your time healing up.

7. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Wow, that is a severe dislocation. Are you sure no surgery? I had mine dislocated 30+ years ago for the first time and then 4 or 5 other times as time went by. But mine was never even close to what yours is. No wonder you're in pain. Have they reset it?

Good luck and think happy thoughts. My shoulder still hurts today after all these years.

8. Ladd Jasper

Ladd Jasper Full speed, half blind

Little late to this Pain Party, but here's to healing up well and quick, Shannon!

Kudos to Gary the Samaritan as well. Nicely done.

9. sauce

sauce New Member

Dissertation writing
    Home Page:
    I hope you feel better soon, Shannon! Keep us updated.

10. Shannon

Shannon ........

Yes, they had to re-set it in the ER because it was so painful. It's amazing how much the pain is reduced once its set. I really hope I never do that again!!

11. Shannon

Shannon ........

The guy that helped me went above and beyond for sure. Even went through a red light to get me to the hospital that much quicker. I'm so bummed that we only got his name. I have no way to contact him to thank him. I hope I see Gary out there on the trail again to thank him for his good deed.

12. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Shannon,

I've always known you were a tough dirty girl!

Let Bruce take care of stuff for a while (he's a good guy, so I figure he already is), and heal up right.
    Watch those pain med's, they can lead to trouble.
    It's gonna hurt for a while, but you'll be ammazed at how your body will addapt to it on it's own.

You take care, you gotta a lot of riding left to do!:clap:

13. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Shannon--mucho mucho wishes for a speedy and pain free recovery. Take care of yourself and keep us posted!!

14. Shannon

Shannon ........

Thanks Max- Bruce is helping a lot. It'd be pretty rough w/out him. I'm sure your wife is used to that roll with all your crashes...:lol:

I'm happy to report that I didn't need to take any vicodine yesterday, just lot's of ibuprofin.

15. sheclimbs

sheclimbs Active Member

That's very good news! Keep it up and you'll be ready to roll again before you know it!

16. Shannon

Shannon ........

Poison Oak tip....

In addition to falling into the ravine and dislocating and breaking my shoulder, I fell smack dab into poison oak. 4 days after my accident I went back to the doc and was given a cortizone injection. Within a day the poison oak started to dry up and I though I was home free. Not so. 4 days after receiving the cortizone injection, my entire upper body broke out in hives and a horrible rash. I went back to the doctor (saw a different doc this time) and was told that the poison oak had resurfaced. 9 times out of 10, a single cortizone injection fails to really get rid of poison oak. As with me, the single injection just suppresses the allergic reaction but it comes back. This time I was given a 5 day supply of predisone. Already after the first dose the hives and rash has gone away. So, a word of advice, if you are so unfortunate to land right in the middle of some poison oak and need to see the doc, don't just get a shot of cortizone. Get the pills over a weeks time. I wish I had known that ahead of time.#-o

17. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Yikes!

#-o

18. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

danng girl u're having some sweet luck!!! #-o chin uP & stiffnn da uppaa lip ehh!!:bang:

19. sheclimbs

sheclimbs Active Member

sorry to hear your recovery has to be so uncomfortable, perhaps the distraction takes your focus off the shoulder?
    Either way I know it sucks, hope you heal quickly, I miss you out there! ONLY 6.5 weeks to go...18% of time already done :):):)

20. Shannon

Shannon ........

I'm hoping this means I've filled my quota for anything else happening... right???? :lol: