Tonsil surgery anyone??

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by bajamtnbkr, Feb 19, 2008.

1. bajamtnbkr

bajamtnbkr Banned

Phone Guy
    I just found out that I'm finally getting my tonsils remove first week of March, I got sick about a ten times last years that I have no choice now. I wonder if anyone had them removed as an adult, kids recover very quick but I'm 42 and being told it can take 2 to 3 weeks to bounce back and more important how soon after surgery can start riding? Has anyone being trough it?

2. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    I'm 32 and I get tonsilitis once or twice a year. My doc has recommended I get them taken out but I'm holding out. I have also heard it is quite painful as an adult. Hopefully they'll give you some good painkillers ;)

3. bajamtnbkr

bajamtnbkr Banned

Phone Guy
    I could live with only once or twice per year but I got seek every 4 to 6 weeks, almost like I schedule it, the pain is not that bad but the high fever and weakness for a week is what I'm tired of, I just hope I can ride while I'm off work;)

4. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    my dad got his done around 38... about 8 years ago and he just couldnt really talk for 2 days or so.. he ate ice cream, pudding and cool, lquid, or soft foods... i think the heat of soup would irritate the stitches more than the cold..
    i dont remember him saying if it hurt though...
    within a week or so i believe it was he was back on duty so im sure youll be up and running in a week or so

5. bajamtnbkr

bajamtnbkr Banned

Phone Guy
    Ice cream! I can handle that.:bang:

6. Jersey

Jersey Member

I had mine out when I was about 24~25, 3 or more weeks laid up is no lie. And I was in the gym 5/6 days a week back then. Don't mean to scare but, I couldn't eat anything harder than yogurt for like 2 weeks, and couldn't talk for at least a few days if I remember correctly.:-k On the bright side, I hardly ever get that sick anymore. A head cold once in a blue moon maybe. Let me tell you though, "Having no tonsils rocks!":bang: Good luck, you'll be fine.

7. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    You should ask to keep them in a jar.
    People might think you got neutered #-o
    haha actually that would be quite funny

8. bajamtnbkr

bajamtnbkr Banned

Phone Guy
    Actually I was thinking I might sneak a little sign under my pants to avoid any medical mistake:lol:

9. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Good luck with that bro, we'll be pulling for you. ANY surgery sucks. I don't care how "minor" it is!!:beer:

10. 1FG rider

1FG rider The G is for Gear

Its a secret...
    I had mine taken out in my early 30's. In and out the same day and I think I was back to work in 2 or 3 days. Lots of liquids and soft foods (jello, ice cream, pudding, ensure) Really wasn't too bad. Kinda of like having a sore throat for a few days afterwards.

11. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

I got my tonsils deleted when I was a young lad of 10. The worst parts for me were the blood drawing that was part of the admittance process (I watched the needle and almost passed out--still no good with needles and blood), and staying overnight away from home in a stark, unfamiliar room.

It turned out to be one of the best health-boosters of my entire life. Prior to my tonsillectomy, I'd get sick for a week, recover, be well for a week, then get sick for another two weeks, and on and on. Now I get a cold or three a year, and that's it.

Do it! Life will probably suck for a week or two, after which you'll be very pleased with the payoff.