tomac eli beginner bike biuld thread, here we go!

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by faded1004, Feb 25, 2008.

1. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Nice job Jason. The bike looks good. Now time to get it dirty!

2. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    pho, i think the seat is okay for now. i am actually goign to try it out for a bit and then figure out what max and min height i feel comfortable with and find if i can get that from the current seat post. i do actually want to go get a carbon seat post... i love the look of carbon, so i will hope to change handle bar, seat post, seat, and some other things into carbon parts. i will have to look into that post.

i am probably going to go to beach tomorrow, and try to go see the people at the warriors race. then sunday go to aliso in the afternoon...

i might need to get home hints from people about tuning and stuff, i will have to take some tools with me... man, this is going to be fun!

okay, i weighed it at home... i came in at 30.5 pounds! isn't that good?

3. Jman

Jman Live Free, Ride Hard

Home Page:
    Very fun thread to read, congrats on the new bike and build. Before you know it you'll be bombing all over the place.

4. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    one thing that sucks on this bike is that the seat post has to be very short. which means, i can't adjust alot, like if i want to have it really low one day and really high another. after ridign a bit, i am sure it will be okay. you can see in the picture, the seat post pops out of the bottom, and when the bike is under compression... the seat post can possibly hit the rear shock. also the shocks are great.

I have the same problem on the mongoose, but not as bad
    PC190054.JPG

5. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    bombing? oh man! not sure how soon i will be doing that... but... on that topic, i am interested in going to fontana once to try it out?

but the seat right now is at a good length. but, i haven't tried it on a trail yet. i will try it out on tomorrow at the fully loop... and i will see how it goes... i am sure the compression will be not too bad, as i don't think i will hit any 4-6 foot jumps...

this build was pretty fun for me... i will post tuning tips and some other tips as i think about the whole bike may be tonight... i want this thread to be as helpful as possible to all the beginners out there...

6. Jman

Jman Live Free, Ride Hard

Home Page:
    I remember once when I thought that, then I met Todd and Ricky and now I'm contemplating finding a 'bigger' bike 'cause 5 inches of travel just isn't enough anymore! #-o Does anyone remember when DHing was done on 3" of sloppy travel? :lol:

With a few rides under your belt and the STR gang to back you up who knows what you'll be doing in a month or two!

7. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Yea that pic is with the seat up. It has hit a few times. Need to cut it down a little. I like a really low seat on the DH.

8. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    okay, i spent like 4 hours just trying to tune the deraileurs! omg... so confusing... here is the article i used... they tell you how to tune both the front and rear. got me through it... so i thought i would share.

front: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75

rear: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

i think the bike is still having trouble with the switch from biggest-front deraileur to middle front deraileur... so i think i have to mess around with it. i still think i need to shorten my chain also.

i think the bike is ready for its maiden voyage now.

i did try to adjust the brakes a bit. but still at loose wire, i am getting some rubbing on the outside pads on both front and rear. i may try to put in the old pad as it has been worn down alittle and may give me a quieter ride. i will have to ride more then see how it is. i may come up with a better solution.

i just need to go over all the bolts here and there once again, before i sleep tonight. dont' want to have a wheels fall off on my first trip.

btw, those disc brakes are freaking strong! i personally think there is good moduation on the mechanical brakes. i will have to test to see if i can fade them! hahaha...

also need to measure the weight of the bike with all my gear and water... i bet it is over 10 pounds of extra stuff...

9. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    just wanted to post a review after my first ride.

i think, the bike did very well! i decended the hills with ease. i think the only limiting factor was me! the bike was very controllable and glided over alot of things that i didn't expect to. i did hit a few items badly, like when i tried to jump over a gutter, but not begin used to full suspension, i didn't clear it and the rear just hit the other end square and jumped up.

the BB7 brakes are just amazing. i still have to adjust them a bit, but noise is very low, modulation is great, and stopping power on steep hills gave me confidence to continue on the trail even though i was a bit scared.

i did find someone who sold me a new set of avid rotors for 18 bucks... so it seems as though i will be trying out the 203mm size on my next ride. it was sucha good deal i couldn't pass it up. 18 bucks for adapter hardware and rotor. i am thinking it will be heavier, but modulation will be increased alot?

1 major issue i think i have is riding comfort. my seat has made me sore. well, i don't think it was mainly the seat, but more the bumps and stuff, like i previously mentioned my littel hit with the gutter. so i think i will either need to grow into the seat while learning how to stand before major bumps or look for another seat. also, i may need to buy a new seat post because i may need it alittle higher then it is now. i know that pedal position in relation to the seat is important for long distance riding. so i will have to work on that.

my future plans are to just upgrade the bike as needed or when i see a nice deal. i think as is right now, i think i can get so much out of the setup as is right now...

i will try to post some final picture of my and the bike on my next trail ride. i think because i was so consumed, i totally forgot i had a camera. i was doing so well with pics on this thread... sorry i dropped the ball...

10. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    If you aren't used to riding, any saddle will cause discomfort. I say give it a few weeks or so and if still really uncomfortable, if you aren't concerned about weight, pick up a WTB Speed Comp saddle. They are pretty cheap and decent for shorter rides.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2008
  11. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    wow, 29 bucks not bad! i will have to look into it... i am for sure going to give my current seat atleast 4-6 rides... and then decide then.

12. intensworks

intensworks nomadismachismojis

Boring
    Let me try some Psychic Network Here

If I can take a guess, that frame you got from a dude from El Centro.

13. ChariotsOfTires

ChariotsOfTires Fenceline/Hewhobendspoles

Help Desk Analyst
    Pretty Sick Bike and Experience. Do you live in an Apartment or something? :-k Saw mostly what looked like a living room. That is an encouragement to me, as one who is lacking a garage. I look forward to the day I can build my own. :bang:

I have that Specialized seat oin my Rockhopper. It has worked well for me over the last year and a half. Each one to his own though on preference.

14. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    ladies and gentlemen! introducing the original owner and purchaser of the my bike! turns out the bike was purchased by intensworks in utah. anwyays, it made it's way here and i bought it from another guy... my bike has a complete history now... how weirdly fulfilling...

hope to see you out on the trails!

actually, i do have a garage. but you know, it gets late, and i want to watch alittle tv to relax. and my bike was in pieces so it was easy to take to my room. anwyays, it was comfy and i just worked on the floor. totally had a great time building it! layed down some towels and worked. the parts actually are in my living room. i was so excited to get them i just opened them and took pics right away! then they migrated to my desk, then to the bedroom floor...

15. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    This is true. If your coming from no riding at all. Every saddle will hurt till you develop your ass calluses so to speak. WTB makes some nice saddles. Unfortunately it's like shoes have to try them on and it usually takes awhile to find one that's perfect.

16. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

I was going to mention it the other day - Have you leveled your seat since I saw it? That would help too, if you haven't.

17. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Good job documenting your build. There's a lot of enjoyment building a bike yourself.

You may want to take another look at your cable routing. Hard to tell from pic's but I think you're going to have some issues when the suspension moves throught its travel. Especially that front derailleur cable. I would run the cables outside the frame tubes and not zip tie them to the rocker. Or I could be full of sh1t and everything will work fine :?:

Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

C

18. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    yes today i am preparing to do laps around my house. i leveled it again. i think i may put on some thread loc, cause it seems to get loose when i ride?

i checked the rear end movement. it seems as though there is no excessive rubbign anywhere. that is what i was conserned for. cause if i didn't, the cables would rub on the suspension frame section, and i felt it would be better if i attacheed them. i guess only time will tell? i think so far everything works out great! i would totally recommend everyone try tio build their own at least once. you learn so much about the bike. and now, i feel if i break down, i am sure i will know atleast the basics to help me out...

19. Flat Broke

Flat Broke Bikes don't kill bunnies

Jack of all trades, master of some
    Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. Glad to see you got something you liked and managed to work out a budget that allowed you to get something that will last for a while. What you've built is miles better than the Diamond back you orriginally asked about on Reef Central!

The build looks good. If you ever need help with mechanicals, I live in Long Beach and am willing to help when I can get my wife to watch the kiddo for a while in the evenings.

I would make one miniscule suggestion, and it is just a suggestion as you haven't commented on having a problem yet. Where you tied your derailer housings to the suspension linkage, you might want to remove the zip tie. The reason being is that as the suspension articulates, the cable housing is going to move with that piece, where is if it were "floating" it would create a much gentler bend in terms of radius. The tighter bending motion could cause some ghost shifting depending on what gear you're in when the suspension compresses. I'd probably also lose the zip tie holding the brake cable housing for a simlar reason. If the suspension movement deflects the cable housing enough, it will effectively pull the housing from the stop on the caliper causing you to lose braking power while the suspension is in that state.

Again these are all things that "could" happen; so take it with a grain of salt. But if you notice shifting or rear brake anomalies, that would be one of the things I would check.

If you haven't already, email [email protected] to get the suspension adjustment .PDF for your Eli. I believe that frame can go from something like 4" to 5.5" of travel depending on how the shock is anchored.

Some suggestions for gear, if you need a camelback (handy to hold spare tubes, your pump/s and other stuff in) and you're on a budget, Costco usually has some in the $20 range this time of year. They're a seasonal item and they're either at the front of the store or over with the bikes and sporting goods stuff.

Speaking of pumps, since it might take some trial and error to get your rear shock setup to your liking, you might want to think about purchasing a shock pump. They run between $20 and $30 and will allow you to tinker with your suspension settings without going to the bike shop. If you need to borrow one for a couple of days, drop me a PM.

I "think" I may have a set of budget Fox knee/shin pads laying around. If I have em and can find them, you're welcome to them.

Last but not least, be very careful with that seat post setup. You'll notice that the seat post tube on the frame is cut at an angle. That angle is there to clear the shock under full compression. It looks like the seatpost may have contacted the adjuster on the shock at some point in time, and you'll definitely want to avoid that happening in the future. I'm pretty sure you'll never want the seat post to protrude out of any portion of the seat post tube. I'd definitely take the advice about looking into a telescoping unit, as you'll want more extension to get full leg extension for climbing, crusing the strand, etc; but will want it lower when going downhill or in more technical situations. If you can find out the diameter the seat post, I'm sure the folks here can give some recommendations.

Again congrats on the bike, building it yourself, and taking the time to share your build experience. There is nothing like the stoke of a new bike build, so enjoy it.

Chris

20. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    yea, i think i am enjoying moutain biking so much right now also because i got it within my budget and i managed to get a nice setup!