tomac eli beginner bike biuld thread, here we go!

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by faded1004, Feb 25, 2008.

1. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    tomac eli - beginner bike build thread, here we go!

hi, my name is Jason P from cypress. and i would like to post my first adult mountain bike and build... i wanted to do a build, but because of budget concerns, i tried to look for a used complete bike. but as time went on, and no deals came my way... i stand here ready to start my first bike...

today (feb 25, 2008), the frame and a few components came in... yes, i will have lots of pics!!!

so the afternoon starts with becoming a peanut farmer! what a fun job!

[​IMG]

so then, here is my main base, the 2004 tomac eli frame. it was used, but i got an awesome deal on it. i was temped by gene with his 98 special... and when i saw this frame for sale, perfect pearl white color... i knew it was to be mine! basic 17.5" frame (from top of seat post to center of crank right?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so after getting the frame from ups, i went straight to get my fork, which will be a marzocchi z1. i don't have a picture but i will post it soon. it is at "the path" getting rebuilt as i speak. i have bought a cane creek s3 headset, but not really happy with color... i kinda wanted a bright color to make the bike have an accent...

so for brakes, i will be putting on avid BB7 brakes in the 6" size for front and rear...

[​IMG]

and they will be mounted on to, 26" bontrager race disc wheels... they are tubless, but i will be running tubes in them as i feel safer with them. i did get a "take-off" rear shimano cassette, when budget permits, i will try to find an xtr cassette, as i want to run all XTR gear... if not, all XT...

[​IMG]

so as of right now, i am going to go with LX gear, as they seem to be good bang for the buck. i went and also bought new xtr cable kits for brakes and shifters...

[​IMG]

i really wanted a nice carbon handle bar, but as availability is, i can only get these... (btw, you know who you are, i still want your carbon bar!!! call me if you can sell it to me!!!! i still want to buy!!!)

[​IMG]

and finally a simple deore crank set... nothing special, but may be later also, when budget permits, i hope to get a nice xtr crank set...

[​IMG]

so with all these parts already in, it looks like i will be able to ride this weekend! i will be ordering a few tools tonight, in hopes that i will be able to get them before the weekend... i need a crank tool, and headset tool... those 2 items are the only things i might need asap...

as for tires at the moment, i will be running specialized 1.95 non-aggressive dirt tires. i will also use slime pre-installed presto tubes in my wheels. i plan on only going on simple fire trails and concrete, as i will be starting my biking with my amazing girlfriend. i got her a nice diamond back wilwood citi bike in her fav color, pink!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

tool list for build (will update as i build and buy, will post pics accordingly):
    rear cassette tool - 1 to take off, 1 to install
    t25 torx - bb7 brake rotors and misc items
    5mm hex - bb7 brake calipers and misc items

riding gear i will take:

alien multi tool - heard it was the best, ie. good chain tool inside
    patch kit - always needed
    extra tube - when patching is no more option
    camelbak mule - water for me a GF for short rides, with room for cell phone and stuff
    small bike pump (backburn) - air? co2 not reasonable cause i am newbie

i will do my best to post all the info i have recieved and will use. i am sure this will be most useful to any other new comers. i plan on starting the build in this order:

1 - mate frame together
    2 - pay to install headset and fork
    3 - install crank and wheels/brakes
    4 - install derailleurs
    5 - route brake shifter lines
    6 - buy and install chain
    7 - seat and seat post
    8 - ride to 7-11 for a nice cold slurpee on a job well done

----------------------------------------------------------

the stores i would like to mention that i liked are (not in any way are any bad, but wanted to mention the best points of each, my review of them will change i am sure, as i only went there 1-2 times only to try to scope the stores around me):

the path - perfect for take off parts , lost of parts, a bit far for me
    switchback - perfect service + price, a bit far... but worth the drive
    surfcity cyclery - perfect service a bit higher price, very close to me and lots of stock

*still need to find shifters, chain, seat, and inner tubes...

*pending (items i may return to buy better) are stem, bar, crankset, both derailours...

***i would like to specially thank allison and gene, for greeting me and giving me initial guidance. with out you two... man, i would have been so lost! i hope to thank you two in person... as the info i got from you two were most priceless...

***duc, gerome, chris, pete! man, with out you guys, i would have no good parts at great prices! you guys got me thinking of the right parts and which package to go with... no stress about buying your parts, but more the parts that are right for me!

2. Red Hot Sloth

Red Hot Sloth Banned

I remember how excited I was when I started my first build. Strange, but each build after my first I felt the same way. Its great to witness someone else who is that stoked as well. Good job hunting down the deals Jason, and good luck with the build. There is a wealth of knowledge here, so feel free to post up any questions or concerns.
    Have fun :)

...and if you need any help drop me a note.

3. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Jason, congrats on your build, Nice frame. If you are on budget, I would go with XT, XTR is only a little lighter but a lot heavier on the wallet. I know, I have 2 bikes that are full XTR. But all 4 of my bikes have XT cassettes on them, strong and durable and a lot less expensive than a XTR cassette. You can also have the headset pressed in by a bike shop rather than buying a tool that you'll use once or twice. It's good idea to get a BB(bottom bracket) tool. Post up the pics when you're done. I've built 5 bikes and it's alot of fun, lots of trips to the lbs for sure. Let me know if you have any questions.

4. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    okay, i guess i will shoot for xt gear then... i am having a hard time at the moment finding good deals on finding xt stuff... some is just out of my range cause i spent on other things... i do want a better gear train, especially the crank. but right now, there is nothing i can do? as i want to get riding asap... i will wait a few days before i install the crank cause i can still return it...

i am going to try to go to the path again tomorrow and the next day if i have time... i might be able to find a better crank...

it has been such a long day... helped out a sick sister in the morning, went to school, went to bike shop, went to san deigo area to pick up wheels, and then came home to long beach area at tonight... sipping my hot cocoa, and writing thread... man, this build is going to be so fun... i don't see how it can me too hard from here on out... getting the parts under budget was the hardest...

5. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    The Path has a box with take off chains, nothing wrong with them, just make sure they are long enough. You're fine with LX for now. Replace them when you wear them out. No need to upgrade for the sake of upgrading. Save your cash because unless you already have them, you'll need your cash for your riding gear like helmet, gloves, shoes, glasses, good shorts, jersey, camelbak.., etc.

6. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    omg! i was watching some videos on this site... people go soooooooooo slow, yet i see so many people just do a major face plant! it kinda scares me into buying a full face helmet just to ride fireroads!

yes, i stilll have all that extra stuff to buy... i think right now i will focus on getting it running... those other things are going to add up quick too... i didn't see the take off chains, i guess after i get the crank and stuff on the bike, i will stop by for a chain...

7. scruffylooking

scruffylooking Stuck up, half witted...

Those Eli's are unique looking! They had great reviews when they were new.

8. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

Hi Neighbor,
    There is a small shop off of Valley View/Cypress called Richards that might be of use. They sure aren't the Path but they are useful when you need a small part quick, and I'm sure they could press a headset.
    Like Gene said, don't get caught up in too much upgraditis, what you have is fine. Enjoy the bike!

9. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    It more likely you will go OTB when moving slow then fast. Granted it depends on the trail . . .

Nice rig you have there. I have always liked The Eli's and almost bought the one Cambria has on sale but it is a small.

Have fun, and enjoy the build.

10. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    that is what i keep telling myself... i am doing my best to make sure the things that are important get its attention, but if i can't find anything... i can still get it rolling... i can't wait until i get the bike rolling. i think gene is going to help me out wiht a seat post... and i think i am going to buy a seat today? i was telling gene, i will go to vq/cc with no seat and no seat post to meet him...

i am sure the people will be very busy there, but i think it will be a decent time to meet a few people...

11. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Looks great. I can't wait to see the finished product! Oh yeah, and make sure to get lots of photos of it in the dirt also.

Once we've crossed the finish line we'll all be just sitting around!!

12. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

:clap: :clap: :clap:

13. TooManyTacos

TooManyTacos Or Not Enough

That frame looks dope! Good luck with the build. It was nice meeting you and seeing your enthusiasm for your new bike. Have fun!

14. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    thanks! i am going to try to take as many pictures as possible. i took these with my slr so it was kinda cumbersome. i will need to find my girlfriends camera charger, cause it will be easier to take them as i build.

okay, today... woo hoo... finally got my hands on a full lx crank set... was told these are alot stiffer and stonger then the one i had purchased... yea, i totally didn't want to run that basic crank...

[​IMG]

also, i was able to put the frame pieces together... man, it looks sooooo nice! just took a bit of movement and a 5mm hex. added some oil, and also some thread lock.

[​IMG]

and since i was on the rear end, i attached the rear caliper with a simple t25 torx... took like 5 seconds! disc brakes are so pretty...

[​IMG]

and finally... the rotors easily mount to the wheels. simple star pattern and it was all done.

[​IMG]

went to pick up my seat as a last erran... simple specialized rival seat. heard it was comfy on a bunch of internet reviews...

[​IMG]

also forgot to mention i will be using simple avid brake levers. it will help me get on the road while i save some money to get the better adjustable ones...

[​IMG]

tonight, i attached the brake levers and shifter to handle bar... my setup is pretty simple... everything is mostly black... and the headset i got was a simple cane creek silver s3 model...

[​IMG]

plans for tomorrow... find a solution for my crank problem... i went to "the path" several times with my crankset in hand, and ended up with returns, and i still don't have the right tools! not too happy about that. i am going to try to get some help with friends who may have the right tools. which still leaves me with the last purchase of tools from the path, which i have to return unused. they were already looking me weird... but there is nothing i can do, they made me buy a wong tool, which shouldn't have happened after returning once?

after getting the crank on, i need to get the headset pressed in and get the frame ready for the fork and the wheels...

oh man, i really need my front fork... if i had that right now, i would so put the wheels on and stand up the bike... hahahaha... may be even roll down the drive way and imagine i am riding downhill like a madman!

15. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    okay, update for today... after a tech session with gene... we got the crank apart... and found i will need 2 tools to take the crank off. so for further reference, if you have a crank my style... you will need a tool to take off the arms of the crank and also a tool to take the bottom bracket. i have no idea what tools "the path" sold me in the beginning. but i ended up with 1 of the 2 tools i needed today...

after trying to install the crank, i found that the bottom bracket i purchased was too small. you need to measure in milimeters, the width of the bottom braket housing on your bike. (picture to follow tonight) then buy the appropirate bracket. my bike has a 73mm width, so hence i am looking for a 73 x 113 bracket. the second number in the size is the final width to the splines. make sure to install with some grease and antiseize. in appropriate areas.

my front fork should be done by tomorrow. and may be by this weekend i can get rolling. so tonight, crank needs to be installed (hope i can find a correct one somewhere), and maybe prep the lines to be layed...

tomorrow will be fork, headset, and handlebar... tomorrow night will be brake lines and shifter lines... friday will be for testing and playing...

hope my plan works out...

16. davidB

davidB Active Member

doesn't matter if you own 1 bike or a half dozen, watching someone else go through this process provokes all sorts of jealousy.

17. Rob

Rob Active Member

Bike Mechanic at Rock n Road n MV
  18. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    thanks rob... gene helped me out so much... i think i have everything now to install... but the headset i need to go to get my fork first... i will let you know if i need any help...

19. TooManyTacos

I don't care WHAT they say about him--Rob is a good guy! Got my tire today, and I only had to email him six times yesterday to make sure he sent it!

20. TooManyTacos