Toad Fest Recap

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Ladd Jasper, May 13, 2006.

1. Ladd Jasper

Ladd Jasper Full speed, half blind

Figured I'd start a thread so the boys can report as they come in.

As for me, my ride was a bust. Major rear hub problems forced me to turn around at the trailhead.

Started out smooth enough, but about 4 miles up Trabuco Creek Rd. strange squeaks/grinds began to emanate from the back end :-s. Narrowed the problem to the hub, and found the thing was barely able to turn--and only then with serious grinding. Obviously a bearing issue, but w/o a chainwhip and cassette tool I couldn't pull the axle for inspection/repair.

Pressed on the last 1/2 mile to the trailhead and found the first (card draw/helmet toss) station. Asked the Warrior's Society staffers if they had the tools I needed, but they did not. Jesse of the WS, who I'd never met, totally blew me away when he offered his bike to me to use. Unbelievably cool offer. I was all for it, but then found it was all the way back at O'Neill Park. Jesse radioed to see if anyone was available to bring it out to me, but all were busy with other tasks.

So, I headed out the way I came, fighting the hub all the way. It kept sticking, which would slacken the chain, which would throw it onto a lower gear, and so on. Miserable in itself, not to mention the drag it put on my pedaling. Felt like I was riding my brakes the whole time.

About 1/2 mile from the pavement the Switchback Cyclery van pulled up and told me they had Jesse's bike if I was still interested. Thought about it for a minute, but was pretty much over the situation at that point. I'd passed the final rider going the other direction 25 minutes before, so would've been in last place by well over an hour.

Was told they'd extend the cutoff for me (another cool and unexpected offer), but riding a strange bike, alone, and holding the stations open for an extra hour just didn't hold much appeal by then. So, back to the start it was.

After getting most of my stuff from CalEpic's truck (find the keys O.K., Craigger?), my big idea of carpooling from Cook's came back to bite me, as the slog up Live Oak Cyn. was a total bear w/ my hub dragging the whole way. Finally made it though, and hightailed it home in a decidedly unpleasant mood. Still don't know the extent of the problem, as I tossed the bike in its room, locked the door, and haven't been back to check on it since. Still a little bitter, it seems. It's only 5 mos. old, but I have a feeling a rebuild is imminent--especially after grinding out another 8 or so miles on bearings that are apparently shot. We'll see.

Now, how 'bout someone chimes in w/ some good news?!

2. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Man, that blows. Didn't even get to show off those dart skills! Hopefully everyone else had a better experience at Toad's.

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Good news is......I finished!!!!!:p

No it was really a nice day out. Turned pretty warm up on the main divide. Climbing the wall was miserable, but was over pretty quick.

Scored really low on the first 2 games, pulled a 5 at the cards, and rolled a 2 with the dice. However, scored on point on horseshoes, 2 points on helmet toss, and had a very nice comeback with a 40 on the darts. So I think I was in the top 10-15.

The bees were bad, but the rootbeer floats hit the spot.

Sorry to hear about the bike issue. Was talking to Jesse and Sherry at the end of the ride and they were relaying the story.

mtnbikej

4. CalEpic

CalEpic member

I had a great time today. I broke my curse and didn't gash a tire on Trabuco. Several others were not so fortunate. I ended up giving my only tube to a guy that was working on flat #3.

Dell - Serious bummer buddy - There's some bad mojo between you and that trail that needs to be worked out I think. If I would have been thinking clearly, I should have let you drive my truck back to Cooks and I could have hitched a ride with Bret. Oh well, you got some miles in. ;)

We thought Atrex (Armando) turned back as well but it seems he had some cleat problems and caught up with us at Oneill afterwards.

The root beer floats were awesome. I sucked on nearly every game. I think I got a 9 on the cards, a 5 on the dice, didn't even come close on horseshoes, threw a 4 on darts (they were damn close to being bullseyes). I did score a 2 on helmet toss though so I got that going for me.

Lots of swag given away. I think everyone left with something.

The volunteers deserve a big hand for their hard work. Especially the poor souls at the top of Holy Jim that had to deal with the bees. One dude was sporting a bee keeper hat/facemask.

C

5. mtnbikej

Was he riding an orange hardtail? Saw a gun having issues with his Crank Bros. about 3/4 way up Holy Jim.

mtnbikej

6. i am dino

i am dino Guest

Very fun event today, big thanks to the Warriors Society and other volunteers who put the Toads Fest together, it was a blast!!!

I wont repeat what Dale and Craig wrote, so I'll post my version. The weather was much warmer than last weekends pre-ride, makig todays ride a tad more difficult. The bees at the top of HJ were out of control, playing the 2nd game was sketchy, i had like 638 bees hovering around me, and it was annoying. I grabbed a water, and started walking on Main Divide (like last weekend) started climbing and was on my way. There were a few jeeps driving the Main Divide which made for some dusty times, but wasnt too bad. Soon enough we were at the Horsethief trail which meant it was time for rootbeer floats, complete with A&W rootbeer, tastey times! Slugged those, grabbed more water and made our way to Trabuco s/t. Tossed a couple darts, padded up and bombed down Trabuco. I know this wasnt a timed event but I made up quite a bit of time on this section of the course, I must have passed nearly 15 people. I then re-united with SPROCKETHEAD for a brief second, I waited for him at the end of Trabuco since he hadn't done it before. We then played the Helmet Toss and I sucked, then Craig and Jose arrived, tossed some helmets and we were on our way out. Grubbed on some salad and pasta and then waited as they called out names in the order of who had the highest point total. I scored a sweet Garneau jersey with a Rat Fink print on it, as well as a FOX hat.

Good times today, and mtbikej, it was cool meeting you and shooting the sh!t in the shade on the MFF climb on Main Divide. Cool to meet you too Atrex and Andy, and Andy's g/f. Oh yeah, dat playa bubb Jose did a great job too! Last but not least, we had a couple of OCRIDER101 sitings, he did a great job with telling those hikers to stay off the trail!

7. ECOdork

ECOdork (R.I.P.) Pope of Chili Town

State Biologist
    I didn't realize that was you mtbJ on MMF or MFF Main Divide!
    Yes, that was our own Atrex on the steelframe kona hardtail with Crank bro problems. He finished strong despite the probs and a lost leatherman. His engineering prowess allowed him to take a bolt from somewhere else on the bike and use it on his shoe...well done!

Dell, we really missed you out there bro! Those damn tasty rootbeer floats were calling your name...not to mention that they satisfied a craving I'd had for some time now! The swarm of bees and steep climbs required some mental focus/meditation to get through. The mountain spirits were with us, right Jose! So was a snake spirit or two that I saw/heard while coming down Trabuco.

At this point I'd just start repeating everything everyone else said.
    Yet another thanks to the WS/volunteers/sponsers for putting on another great event. Challenging, good mojo, and highly enjoyable!
    The swag, t-shirt, and jersey I got, not to mention the killer ride, well made up for the very reasonable price of admission.

Good times and congrats to all those that gave it a shot!:clap:
    Lucas, don't forget to give mad props to Jose for passing along that seat!

8. mtnbikej

Yup, that was me. We were riding with the 12year old today. So the pace was a little slower, but it was still a good time.

I don't know about the rest of you, but it always seems like it is a million degrees climbing that damn wall.#-o#-o

mtnbikej

9. Epic_Mtn_Biker

Epic_Mtn_Biker New Member

Dell, sorry you had that sort of mechanical, i know those blow big time!!

Glad to hear everyone esle had a good time! damn, those root beer floats sound good!!

10. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    Had a great time at the Toad Fest and meeting you all finally. Ditto for the ride report, the bees sucked. I was planning on riding with Ann today but we took care of mom instead. Besides, I don't know about you guys, but my legs are sore! Looking forward to some future rides, you guys are very cool.

11. Steven Jackson

Steven Jackson My loop, my rules!

Pizza Maker/Delivery Driver
    Home Page:
    Why thank you 8)

12. ocrider

ocrider New Member

College student/USFS Ranger/Mountain bike Racer
    Home Page:
    defenently a fun event! I rode up Horse-Theif with Chris, had a float and then headed to Trabuco and supported the dart station and then I followed some hikers up from the first stream crossing of Trabuco to main divide. And continued with the darts and headed back to the staging area.

13. Steven Jackson

Steven Jackson My loop, my rules!

Pizza Maker/Delivery Driver
    Home Page:
    I remember doing the JackRabbit festival on the loop back in 92, I ran over 6 of them and got 2nd place.

14. Atrex

Atrex New Member

Yup, that was me in the orange hardtail with pedal problems. After I fixed the problem however, the rest of the ride went pretty smoothly. I'm just happy that I finished. That was some serious climbing! It was a GREAT event and I had a great time. I would definitely do it again. I ended up winning some sweet Shimano PD-M540 pedals due to my luck at darts and my amazing skill at picking out cards ( i got a 2). It was great to finally meet some of you out there at this event and I hope to ride with ya'll again soon. I'll practice on my climbing skills.

15. mtnbikej

We we the ones that you talked to when you reached the end of the fireroad and gave you directions back to Oniel Park.:wave::wave:

mtnbikej

16. Atrex

Atrex New Member

Awesome!! Thanks for the directions and it was nice meeting you. Hopefully I'll see you out on the trails soon.