to repair or replace...

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by goboygo, May 27, 2009.

1. goboygo

goboygo New Member

Ok, so I have officially run into a dilemma. I have an old 03 dabomb mindbomb that got built up on a bombshell spec, and it's getting to the point that it may be obsolete. I don't know models or years on a lot of the components cause the guy I bought it from painted the bike (and it's just pretty beat up). Anyway, what I think the components are are as follows:

-Bomber dual crown fork, no idea of model or year

This fork is very very springy and has nothing resembling rebound control, and considering that I don't know the make or model or anything I don't know how to go about rectifying this problem.

-avid bbdb cable disc brakes with 6 in rotors and mismatched levers etc

the rotors kinda banged up and the rear is a bit warped. they need replaced sometime soon. the cables are also stretched out and need replaced, and the levers and all housing will need replaced sometime soon. hell, put 4 years of wear and tear on a set of brakes and thisll happen.

-I'm not even gonna talk about the rear shocks, theyre just crap.

-bombshell wheelsets that are a bit off true but still not bad. I have one spoke on the rear that needs replaced, but not a real big deal

-both front and rear tires need replaced

-sram x.7 shifter and rear derailleur that are in pretty good condition, but need new cables and housing

most of the other stuff on there is ok, but just beat up a little. So my question would be is this thing worth fixing up? after this weekend's misadventures I decided to seriously consider whether or not the malfunctions are due to my (lack of) riding ability or if it really is the bike being pushed past its limits. I've put off a lot of replacements as far as I can, and i feel like now that they are ALL coming to head at the same time i would have to put a SEROIUS chunk of change into the repairs. anyone have any sage words of wisdom? if I do go the route of a new bike, I'm definitely on a budget, so what would be a good light DH/FR bike/frame to look at that's at the low end of the range? sorry for the long post, but i'm at my wits end!

HELP!!!:?:

2. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Craigslist?:?:

3. GravityGear

GravityGear New Member

Bike Tech
    provide some pics, we might be able to help you better.

4. live_in_hilo@yahoo.com

[email protected] hilo boi

hvac
    project bike. explore the possibilities.

5. goboygo

goboygo New Member

as soon as I find my digital camera i'll hop on that - thanks!

6. jamisjake

jamisjake Active Member

Industrial Mechanic
    look around in the marketplace. there are some sweet deals to be had on here.

7. Lambda_drive

Lambda_drive Member

If your looking for a decent FR bike on a budget, take a look at the Jamis Diablo. It's a pretty solid bike.

The Iron horse 7 point on www.rscycle.com is also a great deal.

8. Ironpeek

Ironpeek New Member

Oil Field Mechanic
    Sounds like a project:)

9. compositech

compositech New Member

Replace sounds easier!!!

10. goboygo

goboygo New Member

so after a long absence from this board and riding in general ( 8-[ ), I have come to the decision that it's the better move to just get a new bike. With that in mind, I'm trying to figure out the pertinent differences between a bonafide DH bike and a bonafide freeride bike. I have found a couple good deals in various places on bikes that have been labeled as DH/FR, and I'm not sure exactly which elements are being compromised or lied about. What should I be looking for thats really that different?

11. Diamondback

Diamondback Banned

if you buy a DH rig you will be doing a lot of walking up hills, which aint bad if its your 2nd or 3rd bike, but seems this will be your do all bike.

I suggest a FR, 2 front chain ring bike so you can also use it for climbing. Try not to buy used, set up a payment plan with a bike shop because you seem like a guy who holds on to things for a long time so it makes sense to buy new.

12. SKINNY

SKINNY Lube, Ride, Repeat

Home Page:
    U know you want a new bike.. Quit trying to convince yourself.. just buy one..

13. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Replace the spoke and keep riding.

14. SKINNY

SKINNY Lube, Ride, Repeat

Home Page:
    Just think how much better you will be if you have a new bike..

15. goboygo

goboygo New Member

I would, but I took a good hard look at everything, and found out that I need to replace the brakes, rear hanger, chain, tires, 1 spoke on the rear at least if not the whole wheelset (it's beat to shit!) and then also rerun all the cables etc.

bottom line, if I'm gonna put money in this to keep it in good shape, it's gonna put me so close to what I would have spent on a new one that it's just worth buying new! plus, I haven't been out of biking, just out of trail riding - plenty o street action to quench my thirst ;)

16. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    If you're doing the work yourself (with the possible exception of the fork/shock rebuild), it doesn't sound like most of the parts actually need replacement as opposed to some TLC and maybe a few small parts and shouldn't come anywhere near the cost of a new bike. That is, assuming that you really like your present bike and would just as soon keep it.

OTOH, if you would just like to have a new bike. . . . GFI. New bikes are fun.

Part out the old one and sell the clapped out stuff to folks looking for scrap/rebuild parts and use the funds to offset the cost of the new steed.

17. mrk_d

mrk_d New Member

If you can do the work, it wouldn't be a big deal. But if you're paying for parts+labor at retail, that might be a problem. In that case, just sell what you can for relatively cheap, and put it towards a new bike, or a used one (as there are some great deals out there right now!).

18. goboygo

goboygo New Member

mmm excuse for a new fun toy... :) :) :) I like the part out and buy new scenario!

19. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest