Tires and Size

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Jordansrealm, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    What size tires are you running on your bikes? Front and rear. Just trying to kinda study what people are running. If you want to post what those tires are this could be a good educational thread for all.

On my 06 Stumpy it came with Specialized Adrenaline Pro 1.95 tires both front and rear. They are good rolling quick tires but dont have alot of traction I have noticed. They are also very much XC style at that width. I just bought 2 new tires and went a little wider going to give it a shot.

Kenda Blue Groove 2.10 Stick-E Rubber in front
    Kenda Nevegal 2.10 Stick-E Rubber in back

I was going to go a bit wider in front but decided to stay the same for now. I also noticed when replacing the rear tire at 2.10 I already dont have much room, the Stumpy is definitely never going to take a 2.50 tire. Then again, its not built for that.

Your choices?

Jordan

2. P-Funk

P-Funk Member

Graphic Designer
    I love my Panaracer 2.4 on the front of my Bullit. And I just bought a Kenda Blue Groove 2.5 for the rear (just installed it last night in fact).

I'm running Bontrager ACX 2.2 tires on my 29er. But I'm anxiously waiting for the bigger Specialized 29er tires that are coming.

I LOVE big, fat, tires.

3. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    Keep me posted of your thoughts on the Blue Groove. From what I was hearing its more a suited front than rear tire. If you think its an awesome rear I may switch them up once and give that a shot too. I have mine sitting on my desk next to me right now waiting to go on the bike tonight.

4. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Niner One-9 rigid 29 inch singlespeed:

2.35 WTB Exiwolf's front and back.. Waiting for the new Panaracer Rampages to come out.

Turner 5-Spot:
    Local use: 2.5 Bluegroove Front, 2.5 Nevegal back...need more time on them, too new to comment.

When in Arizona. 2.55 WTB Weirwolf LT front, WTB 2.5 Weirwolf Race back.

I have ran 2.5 IRC Trailbears for the last couple of years...great tire.

5. i am dino

i am dino Guest

A lot of us in our group have been running Kenda BG's up front with Nevegals in the rear...mostly 2.35's up front with 2.1's in the back. Lots of us have also torn up our BG's (ripped knobs/sidewalls etc...).

I am now running 2.35 Maxxis all around.
    Front: Mobster
    Rear: High Roller

I've been very pleased with this combo, the rolling resistance isn't too bad at all and they grip really good. They also are very STANS friendly.

6. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    on the bikes [5spot and Highline]
    2.5 Kenda BG front, 2.35 Kenda Nev rear.
    I like the traction on "hard pack" and on the rocks of the this combo...
    but have noticed that the BG has a tendency to wash/slide out when it starts to get slightly loose. They roll a bit slower than I'm used to.

Previously ran 2.35 Conti Vertical Pros [UST] front/back on the 5Spot. I thought these were good tires as well.

7. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Switched from Panaracer Fire XC Pro...getting better traction with the Kenda Kinetics 2.35 up front and Nevegal 2.1 in back. My new bike arrived with a Nevegal up front but always concidered that a back tire.

8. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    me - BG 2.35 Stick-e up front nevegal 2.1 in back. like em. BG wearing a bit faster than most prior but anticapte compound (I also ride ~ 4-5 miles to and from trailhead on road so antitpate that is contributing).

in past have run bontragr Jones AC 2.1. (hated them), maxxis high roller (2.1) on XC rig. these roll pretty good but less corning traction for me. also had a pair of WTB's 2.1 can't remember which ones but were mad fast (sort of semi-slicks that I used for hardpack non tech).

Used to be a bit concerned about going to a fatter heavier tire becuase so much climbing hear and wanted fast roller but benefit you get on down/tech/cornering you will never regret it

9. Franky

Franky DHShuttleMonkey

On the big daddy DHR, it's a 2.5 BG up front and a 2.5 Neve for the rear.
    RFX has the same combo but in 2.35 version. The sticky neve's seem to wear a bit fast. I run Panaracer Fire XC 2.1 on the Tracer. Not the best traction for a front tire in loose stuff, but good for the rear.

10. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    I've been a huge fan of the Kenda BG/Nevegal combo for quite some time now. Although after a recent spell of tearing 4 of them up (2 sidewalls, 2 rock punctures right through the tread) I'm leaning towards other tires to replace them. I just took my 1st ride on a Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4 (Gooey compound) on Sunday and I was extremely impressed with this tire.....everything the Blue Groove is yet with even more traction and a LOT less rolling resistance. The sidewalls are much beefier/stiffer and it is a BIG tire for a 2.4.......it does come at a weight penalty at around 900gms but they roll so much better than the Kenda Stick-e compound you don't even notice the weight. I'm going to order up another one for the front of my 6 Pack......and when my rear Nevegals wear out I'll be switching to Maxxis tires in the rear.

11. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    I have an '06 Stumpjumper, too and noticed the same things about the stock tires. Did not dig them at all.

I'm running the Panaracer Fire XC Pros right now. Lots of climbing traction. They do not spin out and really propel you up the hill. However, I agree with MTBracer. I don't like the way they corner downhill, especially at speed. I have had them wash out on me. EpicMountainBiker swears by them and says it might be the way I distribute my weight on the bike. I dunno.

I'm considering keeping the Panaracer in the back and running a WTB MutanoRaptor up front. I like those WTBs.

12. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    Noticed the same thing when I was going downhill, I know some of it may be my riding but my stock tires kept wanting to wash out from under me all the time. Im hoping my new combo works well and doesnt slow me down too much. We shall see...

13. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    I'm running WTB Mutano Raptor 2.4's on the front and back. I actually have these tires on all the 26" bikes in my garage. I like them a lot. Relatively light, large volume and very predictable handling. They're not a real 2.4" - but they're big enough for me.

When the Panaracer Rampage 2.35 comes out, I may give that a shot up front - I'm hoping that gives a little better traction on shale and loose rocks.

14. Collette

Collette New Member

I'm all about the Velociraptors out here in the Arizona Desert.:bang:

15. Skeeter

Skeeter uno, dos, tres bubbs

Cox Communications
    Im running the Mutano 2.24 up front and Nevegal 2.1 in the rear and really love the setup. I'm not the best rider but i feel this combo offers everything i ask of it.

16. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

Panaracer 2.4 in front, IRC Trailbear 2.25 for the rear.

I wouldn't mind a little better rolling, but other than that I love these tires. They both wear great.
    I am surprised to hear the downhill cornering problems with the Panny 2.1s - I always loved them.

I am very interested in one of the Schwalbe's for the next round.

17. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

ahh yes, the tires that nearly killed me at whiting... maybe that myth of 29ers rolling 10% faster is true ](*,)

jordan, i'd bring that sticky nevegal back and trade it for the DTC version.. it will roll faster and not wear as fast. i run the 2.1 BG sticky/nevegal dtc setup on my tracer and i like it a lot. I'm throwing on my 2.5 BG sticky up front on my reign and keeping the 2.1 nevegal in the back. should prove to be interesting in the least

18. gecallo

gecallo New Member

Maxxis

I'm rollin' Maxxis wheels front and back....
    front: Minion 2.35
    rear: HighRollers 2.35

Right now I'm running a standard set-up (tubes)...so far the tires have been great...I've been riding these tires for about two months now, and in two instances it seemed like the Minion wanted to wash out in some loose dirt, but still held its line...then again, I just started riding in March, so maybe my skills were responsible...but overall, tires have good traction on the downs and ups...I've only had one flat (much thanks to the thorn @ Aliso Woods)...

19. soul rider

soul rider EMPTY V

veal in a cubicle
    2.5 high rollers on the chappy and bullit, 2.7 mobster/high roller on the scream, 2.6f kenda kollasal 2.4 r big earl on the hard tail
    the maxxis tires rule in all conditions. 2.35 f mofo dh 2.35 high roller on the trek vrx...as you can see wieght is not a factor as traction and durability is paramount
    ride free