Tire Review Thread

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by guero, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Guess I"ll have to give the SB8 that's in the garage another go as we get some rain to solidify the summer powder. I ran it for about a month around June/July: Thought it was great on true hardpack, but at the first hint of sand or gravel it becomes a slip-n-slide. Very touchy to air pressure too, as I think someone mentioned earlier. Too little and the weak sidewalls wallow around; Too much and it becomes a ping-pong ball.

When dialed in, and on the right surface, it is great. Just didn't seem as versatile as I'd like though.

2. sailcalifornia

sailcalifornia Member

Nevegal Question

It seems that the Nevegal is the rear tire of choice here.

I am running the tubeless 2.1's. My question is how long/many rides, do you guys get out of a Nevegal? I have had my front High Roller for almost a year and it looks great but my 5/6 month old Nevegal is history. Partially because i ripped it on the tread this weekend and because the center treads are worn down.

Also does anyone know if Stan's does not work well in the cold? I could not get a small cut in the tread to seal this weekend and it was cold in the San Gab's, there was snow on the trail.

Thanks

3. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

I just started using the Nevegal 2.1 Tubeless and I love them. They are very light and have great rolling speed.

I am running the DT 5.10d wheels and the DT Swiss tubeless setup. I burped mine once and I used a CO2 cartridge to add air, and after that it was fine. I have 4 rides on the tires so far so I will be curious to find out how long they last.

4. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I love Neve's!! There are a lot of Kenda haters out there, but I totally love the tires everywhere. I used to run 2.1's on my Stumpy (they're on my SS now, which is probably overkill for it, but oh well). I run the 2.35 on my Enduro. It'll be getting the tubeless 2.35's eventually.

How long had the Stan's been in the tire? I wouldn't guess that it would freeze up, but it may be possible. It does dry out, though. Especially if you use C02.

5. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Jeff(?) Are you running the sticky-E compound Nevegals? If so, that sounds totally normal. They hook up but they don't last long. You can try the DTC compound instead if you want longer life. They're less grippy though.

No idea on the Stan's and cold. sorry.

6. sailcalifornia

sailcalifornia Member

The stans is in there from when i mounted them about 5 or so months ago, and i have never used CO2 on them.

Thanks,

7. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    The traction of the Kendas is excellent, probably the best tires as far as traction is concerned. However after I sliced 2 sidewalls and had a rock go right through the tread I have almost all but given up on them. I do use the UST versions still though since the sidewalls aren't paper thin. CO2 and Stan's do not mix, it will cause the sealant to not work anymore. I used Stan's before in my Kendas and I have a rule of thumb. Once the white Kenda name on the sidewall starts turning a brownish color it is time for a new tire. The stans weakens the tires over time. One of the tires I slashed was brand new, on it's first ride #-oLike kissing $30 goodbye.

Oh forgot to mention about that. You need to refill the tires with sealant about every 1-2 months. If not it just dries up into a latex rubbery compound and will provide you with no puncture protection.

8. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    The stan's definitely dried up! As mentioned, they just need to be refilled with liquid every now and then. The air will hold just fine without it, but once you get a thorn or something it can cause a flat :)

9. sailcalifornia

sailcalifornia Member

There was still a fair amount of the stans in the tire when i went to throw the tube in, do i still need to top it off if there is some in there when i look in?

10. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    That's weird then. As a liquid I assume that it would freeze at some temperature, so maybe that did happen?

You'll have to ask someone smarter than me :D

11. mcgrath

mcgrath *.*

irrigation designer
    Stop riding your bikes through cactus. Jeez, calepic had this exact same thing happen to him coming down Trabuco just yesterday, and he thought his tires could withstand rolling over a prickly pear. He was wrong, and then pulled 5 thorns out of his tires. He claims that I need to ride faster, but whatever.

12. jschwart73

jschwart73 New Member

My Nevegals arrived today, which I will be putting on Allison's old Stumpy (mine now). I'm curious how they compare to Fire XC Pros that I've been running for a few months...

13. DownhillWebKook

DownhillWebKook l'homme plus

IT Architect
    Home Page:
    My choices

I ride mainly in downhill applications (race, aggressive trail, etc.) in Southern California. Here are my picks:

Favorites

Maxxis Minion 2.5 and 2.35 in both folding bead and dh casing. I typically run the standard front and rear set up in the same size. I change casings/bead depending on the terrain (Mammoth demands dh casing, for example).

Maxxis High Roller in pretty much the same fashion as above. I tend to like these Maxxis tires equally, but find the High Roller to be a bit faster and a touch less grippy.

Specialized Enduro Pro 2.2 and 2.4 2Bliss with tubes. These are excellent tires and hook up like crazy. They are also an excellent value at around $36. In addition, they are very durable and often outlast some reputedly more durable tires.

Tolerable

Kenda Blue Grooves and Kenda Nevegals in 2.35 and 2.5 in various casings. I find these tires only tolerable nowadays. I was running some fairly bald High Rollers and loved those, but had to switch and I had tons of Kenda rubber. I went out and my ride went South. Handling and quickness went to pot and I felt like I was riding through mud. Nevertheless, I feel like they have loads of potential with a little snipping and clipping.

Miserable

Pretty much every WTB tire I have ever ridden: the full range of Raptor tires. They don't even compare to Maxxis.

Etc.

I pretty much always run Slime tubes unless I am desparate or anticipate forgiving terrain...in which case I may switch to Maxxis Welter Weights.

14. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    They hook up great down here, but roll slow. I'm usually willing to give up rolling speed for traction, though. Uhm, unless it's on my VQ bike. I'm tying out some lighter tires at the moment.

15. CalEpic

CalEpic member

In response to the Stan's inquiry. The stuff really only works for thorns, etc. If you cut the tire it won't seal it. I cut tires all the time and rather than throw them away, I just use a glue on automotive patch. Stans is still the sh1t though. I will never go back to tubes.

My troubles on Trabuco were from letting the Stans dry up. As Pat said, I pulled a good 5 spines out of that tire before I put the tube in. Friggin Trabuco owns me.

C

16. guero

guero iFroth

this is true, isn't that at least the 3rd flat/tire trouble you have had coming down trabuco? lol.

im bummed i missed the ride this sunday.

i have yet to stanitize my wheels on my dawg and my superlight...i did like using stans when i had my huckler and purple haze. i still need to get the 2.1 nevvy for my superlight from ben, or turnerob.

17. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Pardon my ignorance - not the first or last time - but what's the big plus to Stan's, UST, etc? It seems like every time I read or hear something about these systems it involves high-pressure-bead-setting, goop-squirting, tire-burping, messes. I thought there was supposed to be a performance advantage with reduced weight, but if you have to squirt more goop in every couple months, doesn't it add up to the weight of a tube pretty quickly? And don't most people end up carrying a tube anyway for emergencies? And isn't it all kinda pricey, with more expensive tires plus all that goop & stuff?

I don't get many flats. I carry a spare tube or two. I get normal tires at good sale prices. It all seems so simple: What am I doing wrong?

18. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
    Everybody obviously loves the Nevegals, but any love for the Panny Fire XC's?

How would the two compare?

19. guero

guero iFroth

there really isnt any weight savings when it comes to Stan'itizing your wheels. i weighed my coiler before Stan'itizing and after and the weight difference was nearly nil. many times it can be a big pain in the butt to get your tires to sit and seal correctly, some brands work better than others (in my experience, maxxis worked like a charm, while kenda tires were a p.i.t.a). different manufacturers use slightly different processes creating variances in the inner surface of the tire...making them more or less pourous depending on the maker. burps do happen, sealant does dry up, adding more sealant isn't that difficult once you've done it a couple times. one of the differences you can notice is the lack of rolling resistance you get from a tube, albeit minor, you can tell if you have ridden with stans long enough. i still carried spare tubes when i used stans, but never had to use them. when used properly (having enough sealant in the tire) Stans will save your butt in most situations, where as a standard tube will pinch flat, or puncture.

20. jschwart73

jschwart73 New Member

Give me a couple days and I'll put up my thoughts on this comparison - I'm swapping out Fire XC Pros for Nevegals...