thoughts on cheap single speed commuter (road) bikes

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by SeanC, Jun 17, 2012.

1. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

Howdy,
    Would like to get a cheap commuter bike, thinking something like the SE Draft, Nashbar Hounder, etc.
    What is the consensus on these? I don't want fixed gear and would be flipping (flopping?) the rear hub
    to make it single-speed.
    Please don't respond with "Well, for only $200 more you could get a . . . " I intentionally want to spend
    very little money on a cheap bike for a short commute.
    Thanks!!

2. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    My two neighbors each have one and use them to commute to school. They're bigger dudes and from what I can tell, the bikes seem to do the job and don't look as cheap as I'd expect for that price point.

3. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

Go for it man. I have a Swobo Sanchez that I got new for $250 from one of the Backcountry.com deal sites. Came setup with freewheel, riser bar, front and rear brakes, and pushes a pretty good average speed over 5-15 miles trips each way. Has quietly done its job, original factory chain lube still going strong after a few hundred miles (no bike washes nor rain, just some road and sprinkler spray), and seatpost, wheels, and other parts are not slipping or creaking or anything. I just squeeze the tire to check air pressure, pop on my old XC helmet and gloves and go. I even rode it on trails and it held up well to my abuse, even when I was feeling a bit gung-ho and was pushing its limits. I totally encourage commuting by bike; you get a workout and save a few bucks in gas each trip and it's fun. You may be more likely to do small errands just to ride. Kind of pays for itself and its not a big deal or huge loss if anything unfortunate happens. A good "beater" is almost a must have for me; will buy another, though not necessarily the same brand/model, but similar setup (singlespeed, flat/riser bar, freewheel, front and rear brakes), if anything happens to it.

4. matty_P

matty_P New Member

medical student
    i have a scott sub 50 i got at rei for 240$. with these bikes, go with the one you like the color the most. i also looked at the rei singlespeed commuter and i liked it, but it cost more than the scott. i did end up putting different bars and fenders on it. not much can go wrong with this type of bike, so if you have the money and would use it for commuting and trips around town, go for it.

5. fos'l

fos'l Member

JRA
    I saw the SE @ Performance in Laguna Hills last year --- I don't see how you could go wrong.

6. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

Thanks, I'm leaning towards the SE (bottle opener seat!) but is it really worth almost $80 more than the Nashbar bike?

Also, I don't live in any hipster neighborhoods, so I don't think there's a local hipster shop that carries these and I would
    have to at least drive 15 miles to Ontario to the nearest Performance bike shop to even try one out and see what size I need.

Sounds like I would need a 58cm since I am 6' 0 and have a 34" inseam? I could just order online I guess. . . .

7. Racer X

Racer X Member

8. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    I just took my old GT whatever and put the $40.00 Performance Bike SS Converter kit on it with road tires. It works great!

9. Smokie

Smokie New Member

Go with the 1 that has the gear inch that you are looking for.I have 2 one with 72gr.in and another with 70 gr.in. For myself 70 is a nice relaxing cruser that spins at 15 mph.

10. jcampbell

jcampbell going Gods speed since 75

Believer, Husband and Father.
    Home Page:
    nashbar has a couple of cheap commuters

11. Franky

Franky DHShuttleMonkey

12. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

I bought a dawes sst from bikes direct a few years ago for commuting and it has worked great. I've taken it on someong rides and will be using it for the big ring century this weekend

13. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Did the commuter single speed thing and was fine until I also wanted it to do shopping and laundry. Then the big gears with Bob Trailer where too much for the weight and hills in Laguna. Gave commuter to my nephew while I build up another town bike that works better for me.

Dean

14. Evoracer

Evoracer "That Guy"

Mgr
    Craigslist beater. Mine wasn't cheap after I finished building it, but I love my SS for commuting my vast distance to work. lol

[​IMG]

15. Evoracer

Evoracer "That Guy"

Mgr
    Thread killer...

16. bing!

bing! Active Member

that thing is beautiful.