Thinking of getting away from hydraulic brakes.....Avid BB7?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by maximililian, May 29, 2012.

1. Kimbilly

Kimbilly New Member

Home Page:
    My stock Shimano BR-M445 hydraulic brakes have been through hell and back. After a year of owning my bike, I've been through 3 cassettes, 3 chains, new grips, cables, etc.. Granted its seen a lot of miles , I've never had ONE issue with my brakes. Just took it to my buddy's shop when it needed new fluid. I guess I'm too much of a regular to be charged for fluid.... But either way no complaints with the low end hyrdos. Mechs just don't feel the same... Just throwing in my2 cents Gluck with your purchase !

2. racinteach

racinteach New Member

School teacher/ EMT
    The key to mech disk brakes is the cable quality. Use a good stainless inner cable and good outer housing and you can have them feel nice and tight.. and as with your derailer cables, you should wipe them down once in a while and repalce your housing , when its due.. and for you hydro folks, opened system or not, you should change out that fluid every so often.. it does loose its viscosity.

3. bing!

bing! Active Member

xtr brake cable and housing is the bomb. my friends cant believe how smooth my vintage bike brakes are.