Thinking about making the switch to platform pedals. Any advice?

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by atchipmunk, Aug 23, 2009.

1. SchwinnStr8

SchwinnStr8 Team DHB

Home Page:
    I run 5.10s and NYC race lites (Gold). These are the most grippy-est(sp?) pedal ever! With the combo of the 5.10s and these pedals, you fell clipped in. I've tried 50/50xx. straightlines, atomlabs, woodmans,azonic a-lines, shimano dx, BMX shinburgers and hands down the NYC race lites are the grippy-est.

2. MacGuyVer

MacGuyVer Member.. You Member

I flat out switched..

+1 for CB5050XX & 5TEN KARVER :bang:

I too have just made the transition from SPDs back to platforms. :beer:

I'd been doing fine clipped in and had yet to be deterred from hitting anything I encountered on the trail, but HATE the clippless shoes available to me on the market right now. I've been unable to find any low/quarter top shoes that could protect my ankles without restricting them like high tops ..other than the FUGLY SH-MP66W.

As my skill level has increased, so has the likely hood of a bad crash/bail out .. platforms seemed to be the obvious next step (pun intended :p). Combined with my concerns that big drops/hucks to flat on the smaller SPD pedals may take a progressive toll on my knees/ankles have lead me astray.

I'd highly recommend that IF you choose a pedal with replaceable pins, and they do not come with the longer "screw" type pins, upgrade them with an after market kit or take them to you local hardware store and get some appropriately sized set screws in there asap.

You'll be surprised how much fun it is to re-learn how to bunny hop all over again \\:D/

3. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    You will find its not to hard to switch. I run both. The biggest problem I have encountered is pulling up to hard on the clips when jumping. Which results in OTB.

4. kazlx

kazlx New Member

Anaheim Fire Hazmat
    I hated my 5050s. The whole multi-piece pedal thing seemed like a good idea, but just ended up in an epic fail. It was a pain to get the plates to stay put, then I loc-tited the retaining screws. Once you clip a rock over the screw holes, the retaining screws are impossible to get out.

5. ahimanic

ahimanic Victim of Karate Monkey

Bean counter!
    -For your first set of platforms, you may want to consider getting ones with smooth pins rather than the threaded pins. The smooth pins don't hold as good as the threaded ones but you might be in for a very unpleasant surprise come to find out how much damage those threaded pins can do to your shins and calves!

-Be prepared to smack rocks you've not encounter before with the wider pedals.

-Even without clips, you should still strive for a round pedal stroke for efficiency and muscle relieve.

-Wear softer, waffle sole shoes for better grip of the pedals, those SPD shoes are too stiff to grip well on flats. When standing on your pedals, use the middle of your feet instead of the balls and you'll grip better. To further improve grip on the bouncy stuff, point the forward foot like the 10 o'clock hand and the rear foot 2 o'clock, then pressure them against the pedals.

And when you are ready, you can go for these shin burgers :eek: :eek: :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. atchipmunk

atchipmunk New Member

Some great suggestions. Thanks everyone!

WOAH...those look like the meat tenderizer I have in my kitchen drawer...ouch...

Thanks again everyone! Keep em coming!

7. atchipmunk

atchipmunk New Member

Anyone tried any of the platforms that also have provisions to run clipless? Something like the Crank Bros Mallet series? Wondering how they serve as a platform pedal compared to the dedicated platforms. Do they lose some platform grippiness because of the addition of the center clipless mount? Something like that would seem ideal in order to use both so I don't have to switch pedals...only the shoes, but I don't wanna go that route if it sacrifices grippiness for the option. Anyone tried them or any other dual purpose pedal?

8. kazlx

kazlx New Member

Anaheim Fire Hazmat
    Mallets or any of the other pedals with a bit of a platform aren't meant to be run not clipped in and you are just asking for trouble. Plus, you will get a false (bad) impression of what it's like to run flats. You don't have near the amount of traction you would have with proper flats and shoes.

Do yourself a favor, get some 5.10s, they are worth it. IMO, pedals with smooth pins suck, they don't grip. I rode my 5050s twice before I changed all the smooth pins to allen screws. Pick up a set of Konas or something conservatively priced, a set of 5.10s and give it a go....

9. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    I just switched from platforms CB 50/50's to clipless CB Mallet 2's. Mallets work well, but you have to move your feet slightly forward so you don't accidentally clip in.

10. Takedown

Takedown New Member

11. ironmanok

ironmanok New Member

trophy husband
    Definitely go with 5.10's, they stick to pretty much all platform pedals. They fit a little snug so go half a size larger. I use Azonic Fusion pedals, they're cheap and have taller pins for traction.

12. A D NOH

A D NOH Custom Newbie Title

Motivational Speaker for Kids
    On my 4inch bike, I used the standard crappy pedals that came on the bike and wore my nike frees or new balance shoes. Lets just say that my feet were always coming off! I upgraded my shoes to some 5-10s (thanks to Tani at the PATH) and then the shoes made a world of difference. I have recently purchased a new bike and am now running Specialized lo pro platforms pedals

[​IMG]

The pedals are nice and low profile and provide great support with the 5-10s. I still find myself having to lift my foot to adjust for proper foot position.

13. MacGuyVer

MacGuyVer Member.. You Member

Do try them on before you order to be sure..

..I had the reverse experience :-k I typically wear a size 12 to 11.5 and found the size 11 to fit the best overall 8-[ ..YMMV

14. atchipmunk

atchipmunk New Member

Guess I need to clarify some. I'm gonna buy 5.10's regardless. Was wondering how the 5.10's would work with pedals like the CB Mallets because then I could just wear tge 5.10's for rides where I wanted to run the platforms. For rides where I felt clipless would be a better choice I'd wear my clipless shoes. Regardless, sounds like I might still be giving up some grip going with the CB Mallets even with 5.10's and if that's the case then I'll definitely go with a dedicated platform pedal. Doesn't take that long to swith pedals anyway. :D Thanks again everyone. Keep it coming...

15. kazlx

kazlx New Member

Anaheim Fire Hazmat
    Mallets aren't a flat pedal. Waste of money, time and will just make you frustrated. They have a bit of a platform to add some stability and maybe give you a place to put a foot if you can't get clipped in right away. Don't buy them if you want to run flats. Buy a set of Konas or something cheap with allen screws to see if you like them before you drop $100 on pedals. I have the Straitlines and love them. I would buy another set in a heartbeat, but there are other pedals I haven't ridden that are just as good I'm sure. It's all personal preference.

The main point is: don't buy mallets. Buy something flat with pins.

16. atchipmunk

atchipmunk New Member

Perfect. That's exactly what I needed to know. Mallets or any kind of hybrid clipless/platform are out. Thanks for the insight...

17. minimusprime

minimusprime Did I just taste purple?

I usually ride spd's (m520's) on more XC rides but recently scooped up a set of 50/50's and 5.10's. I got the 50/50's in near new condition off of the bay for 45 bux shipped.

I don't really have any problems switching back and forth. The 50/50-5.10 combination actually grips so well that it becomes a problem because if i don't put my foot down in the perfect position it feels foreign and it's hard to move.

I do like the combo and I'm getting more and more used to it. It allows me to get back to my dirt bike roots when thrashing downhill if i so desire.

18. Rondo

Rondo Member

Captain, USMC
    I know this might not be greeted with open arms, but why switch? If you've been riding clipless and you're comfortable with them what benefit will you gain that outweighs having to learn a new pedal?

I'm not hating on platforms by any means, but riding my platforms vs. my eggbeaters I don't notice any increased freedom of movement, just a lot of movement I wish wasn't there.

19. ironmanok

ironmanok New Member

trophy husband
    It's hard to bail out on a jump if you're clipped in.

20. kazlx

kazlx New Member

Anaheim Fire Hazmat
    I have ridden both and on dh stuff, it still sketches me out to run clipless. I just like the ability to bail, no matter if it's mid air or getting hung up on a rock and having a quick step off. I think clipless is the way to go for climbing and xc riding, but anything else, I prefer flats. For me, the more I got into dh and aggressive riding, the more I enjoyed my flats. I have had some crashes that I know would have ended far worse if I was clipped in. I have also had some stupid crashes that would have ended up in me actually getting hurt if I was clipped in.