Thinking about making the switch to platform pedals. Any advice?

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by atchipmunk, Aug 23, 2009.

1. atchipmunk

atchipmunk New Member

I'm an "oldschool" MTB'er...rode with toe-clips (pulled extra tight!) back in the late 80's, early 90's and made the switch to clipless with Shimano's first SPD/shoe combo built for MTBing and have ridden clipless ever since. Took a long hiatus from MTBing from around '00 or '01 (can't really remember when I stopped) till about a week ago and now all I think about is going riding. Forgot how much fun it was. :bang:

Anyway, when I was still riding a lot, I was back on the East Coast (in MD) and riding mostly XC type trails with some light AM type stuff. That was before I remember ever even hearing the terms "Freeride" or "All-Mountain", but the decents and jumping, etc are what I enjoyed the most. Now that i'm back into it again, i'm more interested in AM and light FR type riding and thinking about switching to platform pedals for the freedom of movement they offer. My main concern is the bad habits i'm sure i've developed over the years...pulling up on the pedals during bunny hops, and generally relying on the clipless pedals to keep the bike attached to my feet. I'm sure those bad habits will make the switch fairly difficult.

So, anyone out there have any advice for making the switch from clipless pedals to platforms? I already have a lot of scars on my shins from the old days of using toeclips so i'll probably buy some leg armor to avoid more shin hamburgers. I'm also thinking of getting some 5.10 Impact shoes, but don't know what pedals. Anyone have any suggestions? I like the Specialized Lo Pro Mag 2's but wish they made em in black...or anything but white and gold. The Crank Bro's 5050XX's also look pretty good and have heard good things about them. Regarding pedals, is there much difference in grip between the different brands, styles, etc? Anyway, just looking to gather as much info as I can before I make the switch. Thanks for any input!

Alvin Caragay
    Hermosa Beach, CA

2. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    $20 at morning ride.

I only ride flats, and am very impressed how far the resin ones have come. The only drawback is the cheesy spindles that will eventually bend but for under $20 I like them more than my much more expensive and heavier Atomlabs.

[​IMG]

3. PAIN

PAIN New Member

I run DMR V12 platforms and 5.10 Rennies and the combo works real good.

4. 07coiler

07coiler Banned

Identity Board Shop Web Manager
    Azonic 420 platform pedals. Your feet will never come off.

5. tink bell

tink bell the food fairy

purchasing mgr
  6. bobzrag

bobzrag bonedaddy

give them a chance, your first climb will seem like he!! as you are used to picking up on the pedals which you can't do anymore. I switch back and forth depending on the type of riding, more cross country and it's clips, more downhill type of riding it's platforms i have 5/10's which are awesome on my welgo's

7. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

510s and wellgo mg1's, as for unleanring the bad habits, the first time you go to pull up on the pedals and go over the bars you should remeber your not clipped anymore

8. madridg

madridg Ride Therapy Patient

Medical Device Engineer
    Home Page:
    ^^^^^same setup for me.

I too am an old school xc clipless racer turned beginner AM/DH rider. The learning curve is tough when you've been riding clipless for so long.
    I switched to flats about a 6-8mo ago because I liked the freedom they allowed on steeps, and I felt I could really push the flats in when leaning turns. However, my feet still come off during drops, leading to a hard crash adn some scary landings. To practice, I converted my XC/AM and DH bikes to flats so I learn to stay connected.
    Good luck!

9. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

deleted

10. atchipmunk

atchipmunk New Member

Thanks for the advice and recommendations everyone! Ideally, I'd use both as well...depending on the type of riding. Realistically though, with a 5-month pregnant (read: hormonal and needy :D) wife, I probably won't get to ride as much as i'd like and will need to dedicate what little riding time I have to getting used to the platforms before the little one comes.
    Hopefully, I can persuade my future daughter to be into the same hobbies that I am so I can continue to do them with the same fervor without harassment from the wifey. :)
    Anyway, thanks again everyone. Ride on!:bang:

11. twigme

twigme New Member

I would deffinetly get the five-tens, they are truely amazing. As far as pedals, i would just try to get something light and not wory so much about grip since five-tens grip on nearly anything

12. slayer

slayer New Member

5.10's and Kona Wah-Wah pedals. The next best thing to being clipped in.

13. ANIMAL

ANIMAL New Member

i slave tables
    I switch back n forth.

I took out my platform bike for the first time in a while and my first bunnyhop going over a curb I totally lifted up the front and just jumped with my back not bringing up the back wheel. I was used to my eggbeaters, but after that first one, I was fine.

14. twigme

twigme New Member

five tens are perty mutch equivalent to being clipped in

15. chongoblanco

chongoblanco Banned

none i get my check on the 1st!
    5.10s are awsome, the wellgo mg-1 are awsome bang for your buck, tons of grip and light weight, only about 60 bucks. I switched to the crankbros 50 50 pedals and love them with the 5.10s have not had any issues with them, i dont like riding them with out 5.10s cause of the hump in the middle. I am switching out to the new atom labs though cause they are nice and wide for my fat size 13 foot.

The only thing I dont like about the mg1's is they have a small foot area for me.

knee shins are a good idea regardles, cant tell you how many potential trips to the hopital they have saved me.

cheers
    jared

16. F4guy

F4guy New Member

Specialized Lo Pro II's. Magnesium, Light, entirely serviceable, great quality, tons of grip. Watch out though, I just got a week ending bear claw. Dur.

17. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    I have a set of the Kona Wah Wah 's that have been ridden 3 times on my DJ.. I am parting the bike out so if you want them in basically new condition for 50.00 send me a PM... Pedals are SOLD

for the record though 5:10's are the the way to roll, I still use flats on the DH bike most of the time and have the scars on the shins to prove it...

18. fpcrew

fpcrew New Member

Systems Engineer
    Wellgos MG-1s are the way to. You can find them for about 35 bucks on ebay.

19. kazlx

kazlx New Member

Anaheim Fire Hazmat
    I liked my Wellgo MGs until I shattered one on the first ride at Northstar. I roll straitlines with 5.10s on my Demo and must say it's a pretty good setup.

20. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Im running sunline v-ones now. Great pedals but a bit pricey. 130$ I think.