thinking about getting myself into SS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by profnachos, Nov 23, 2010.

1. wartorn

wartorn Member

you guys are probably right, i should downgrade to an 18 or 20 so i can ride more trails.

but i think ill keep the 16 till i can clear fully with confidence. thats better than training on an easier gear, right? or would i benefit from downgrading now?

2. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    I'd definitely say go to an 18t cog. Running 2:1 right now is just going to put undue wear on your knees. If it ever feels too easy later on, you can always throw the 16t back on.

You'll come to find as you SS more that climbing is less grunting and crushing climbs, and more an exercise in conserving momentum, and finding the right cadence. Most of the time, anyway.

3. wartorn

wartorn Member

looks like ill be giving 18t a go.

thanks for the advice.

4. spdlee

spdlee New Member

self employeed
    I got my Felt solo SS 29er last week & I rode it three times within a week. And buying it was the one of the best bike purchasing decisions I've ever made. It was so simple & fun. The climbing was bit harder & easier in fact but much, much more fun. Can't compare with gear bikes. some of my buddy and I will be riding @ San Juan this Saturday... can't wait ^^ Mine came with 31/21 set up. I am sure you will really enjoy it. btw I've been riding little over 2 years.

5. Zulu

Zulu New Member

I agree with what some of the others have said about changing to the 18t. If you stop by your LBS pick up a few different cogs so you can build up your riding strength and still have al the fun (suffering) you can on the SS.
    I started on a 29er with 32-23 and after 3 rides i swaped for a 22 and after 5-6 rides changed to the 21 and after a few months changed to the 20. I stayed there for a while and began to notice when I rode 3 or more time a week in the winter months the SS would ask for the 18 and as I tapered off the weekly rides I threw the 20t back on.
    For the trails I ride and the amount of time I ride the 29er with 32-20 seems to be the gear that works best for me on all the trails I ride.
    take your time to try different gears and know that SSing is super fun and addicting. Enjoy the pain!

6. dudevf1

dudevf1 New Member

For 29" wheels 32/20 has worked well for me. I started with 32/18 and it was some real suffering on the steeps. I'd also recommend standing and climbing, this is one aspect of SS that I totally love. Standing gets me more in attack mode mentally and it is much better on my knees, back and hip flexors. I have ridden SS exclusively for a year and recently went back to my 130mm FS bike and every time I stood to climb it was such a drag, as the bike is so much heavier, clunkier and the suspension isn't tuned for standing and climbing so it bobs like crazy. Then I was getting annoyed at having to sit and spin and grind.

7. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    it is a great training tool at high elevation like SART, enjoy your new ride.