thinking about getting myself into SS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by profnachos, Nov 23, 2010.

1. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    After mountain biking for about 1.5 years, I am now heavily considering an SS. :bang:

Tani with the Path is recommending the Rockhopper SL SS 29. Does anybody have it or know someone who does? What do you think of it?

My reason? For the next 3-4 months, my after work night rides will be limited to the Fullerton loop only. I think I've outgrown the Fully, and I need a better work out. Since not very many local trails are open or safe to ride at night, I will have to get myself a more challenging bike. And..yeah it's a status thing too :).

Also, I want to set the gears to mimic a single speed to see how it feels. I know the gear ratio is not the whole SS riding experience, but it will give me some idea.

This page says this about the gear ratio.

"A 2:1 gear ratio (e.g. - 32:16, 34:17, 36:18, etc.) is often considered a good starting point for offroad riding."

Okay, the whole sentence flies right over my head. I have 10 rear and 3 front gears. In layman's terms, how do I set my gears to mimic a single speed?

2. Htnswches

Htnswches New Member

Do it! The loop is a totally different ride (challenge) on a SS. I personally ride a rigid 26" SS with a 34 or 33-17 combo and there is only one hill I have to walk up. I'd rather walk one hill than spin out on everything else. Can't comment on the SS 29er thing because I'm partial to 26" bikes

3. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Set the front chainring in the middle (32). Shift the rear to about the middle (20). 32-16 is ambitious for a starter. A geared setup can't really mimic SS because the derailleur always adds drag and noise plus the chainline isn't perfectly straight. Have FS? Lockout the rear shock, your SS will be a hardtail.

Loosen and rotate the shifter pods so your fingers/thumb can't shift. :lol:

I'd rather climb everything and spin on the flats - it's good for you.

Ultimately, demo a real SS.

4. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    Typically 32:18 for 26" wheels and 32:21 for 29ers is the typical starting point, based on riders Ive talked to.

5. Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss human being

Home Page:
    I went to a SS about a year into riding and LOVE IT! If the loop is going to be your primary stomping ground I would suggest a gearing of 32:18. Flatter ground sucks at 32:21.

6. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    Reasons for riding a SS bike:

1) It will make you stronger.

2) The bike is lighter

3) you can "feel the trail" better and learn how much torque you can apply

4) It will make you stronger

5) If you choose to ride rigid, you will learn to pick good lines and be smooth or you will die

6) Maintenance is a breeze.

7) Humiliating your friends on squishy geared bikes is fun ;)

8 ) It will make you stronger

9) The geometry is better for climbing "out of the saddle"

10) You'll never throw a chain (you may break one though) again.

11) SS bikes are actually "3 speeds". Sit, Stand, or Walk....

12) It will make you stronger.

Dman's should fit you. Mine my be a bit long.

7. Murmur

Murmur New Member

Partner - Sport Recon
    Do it.

For all the reasons mentioned above. I'm partial to Niner's geometry, but there's really not a bad choice. Go steel, it's more forgiving and really not that much of a weight penalty. Wheels are important. I like the ZTR Arch. Get bar ends - you'll need them. 32/21 for a 29er. Buy a 20 and an 18 so you have a goal. I did VQ on it last year with a 21 and was able to clean everything except Horsethief (of course). Short steeps like even Mustard will test your will, but you'll find yourself getting really strong. It's a whole new world of riding and very fun.

8. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    this is where it all begins... welcome to the pain train.

I am a big fan of my knees so i tend to roll a gear similar to 32 x 21 or even 34 x 22 depending, I can climb about anything and you learn to spin fast and smooth to make up for the lack of gear.

9. fzero40

fzero40 New Member

Engineer
    I bought my Kona Unit 29 a year ago not knowing how I would like riding a ss bike. I did not know anyone I could borrow one from at the time. One year later, it is pretty much the only bike I ride. I run 32/18 and it works great for the Fullerton Loop. The bike has definately made me a stronger rider. Mine is a 19" rigid if your interested in taking it for a lap.

10. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    100% agree. When I started to SS I started at 32/20 on a 26" which meant I spun a lot, but could climb everything. I continued to change the gearing as I got stronger till I settled with 34/19 which was a good gear, I could still climb everything but spun less on flats, but I knew I could still go taller so I changed it again to 34/18. That's when I started to have serious knee issues. Just a 1 tooth change, I went from no issues to serious knee pain every time I rode. I finally settled with 34/19, but my knees will never be the same.

11. surfzombo13

surfzombo13 King of Kooks

Tin Knocker
    Home Page:
    My Chameleon's been dedicated single speed since '99, and I've always ran a 34:17 ratio. I'm a big guy, and I ride primarily around Turnbull Cyn. I stop a lot, esp. when it feels as though my heart is going to beat its way out of my chest, and the only place I H.A.B. is going up the steep parts of the fire road coming from the Whittier side, or going up the ridge after riding Cow Trail. A word of advice: make sure your cranks art at least 175's. 180's are optimum. I recently broke my old RaceFace drive-side crank in half. It was a 175, and the new cranks I had installed are 170's. I didn't think 5mm would be a big difference, but lemme tells ya, I feel it. Small hills I used to just up an' over have become a bitch. So, now I'm gonna drop down to a 32:17 ratio in the hopes of getting back to what I like. I'm also getting tempted to get an 18 or 20 tooth freewheel, but I like to have some power coming out of the corners when I bomb down the switchbacks on the 7th Ave loop.

If you don't mind a lot of anaerobic fun, go single speed. It'll change yer life....

12. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    More reasons:

13) You will never break a 1/8" chain.

14) You will save money.

15) You will never ghost shift again.

16) You will save money.

17) It will make you stronger.

18 ) You can build a stronger wheel (less dish).

19) You'll know when a chain is worn, it will sag. (non-tensioner setup)

That 5mm is worth 3% leverage which works out to be 1 tooth on the chainring. When I got 180mm cranks (from 175mm) I went from 32T to 33T chainring with no change of leverage.

13. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    Well, I caved. That is the Specialized RockHopper 29er. Just a few dollars over $700 with no tax at the Path. Not as fancy as the Stumpy perhaps, but I love this bike.

[​IMG]

My impressions?

- Love love love the riding experience.

- One big difference is that it feels more natural to use my whole body to pedal. I can stand up and pedal which makes me feel more in tune with the bike. Is it because it is a single speed or a 29er? I don't know enough to say.

- I picked it up at the Path on Friday. Rode it on Friday (Peters), Saturday (Aliso), and Sunday (Fully). Yeah, I love the riding experience. It actually makes me faster on moderate hills. At 1 hour 10 minutes on the Fully, that is about 5 minutes better than my previous best!

- To my surprise, only the crazy steep hills are out of reach. The Big Red in Peters, parts of Cholla in Aliso, and the short steep one after Euclid on the Fully Loop were out of reach, but the rest were in some ways easier.

- I can easily see this being my primary bike. And it is 1/3 of what I paid for my geared one.

- Ironically I got a call from the Path during the ride from the mechanic who was working on my geared Stump Jumper. He gave me a list of parts that will need to be replaced soon because of wear and tear, and they were all related to the gears. Told my friend that this SS may very well pay for itself in the long run.

- This review says a lot about "unwanted flex." It flies right over my head. Can somebody explain to me in plain English?

Just one downer: One of my knees hurts slightly. I have never had a knee problem before. Perhaps 3 straight days of strenuous riding combined with the P90X regimen are a bit much for this 44 year old body.

14. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Count the teeth on the chainring and cog.

15. Heyitsdave

Heyitsdave Member

32/20 according to Specialized site.

16. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Ease into it. SS is different muscles. But you'll get there. Also keep good form. If it's super steep don't arch your back thrusting your hips fwd to get the crank around.

Congrats. Old trails are new again eh?

17. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    Congrats on the new ride... And welcome to the addiction. you will eventually need to find something to do while you wait for your friends at the top of a long climb. take it easy at first and work up to it.

Lots of new SS's out there it may be time for a STRSSSufferfest

18. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    I second this motion.

19. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    San Juan or Harding? I know some folkSS looking to ride Sat.

20. 1FG rider

1FG rider The G is for Gear

Its a secret...
    I'd be in for another SSufferfest!