Dirt Jumps Thinking about building a DJ bike

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by art23rockpile, Mar 4, 2009.

1. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    Getting air on a MTB is fun! So, i'm thinking, why not build a DJ bike? Although the dismal economy will cause such a project to be a ways off in the future, i'm thinking about one of these below... it's a Yeti DJ. Does anybody here have any experience with this bike?

Attached Files:

2. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

well, J_sims has one, but it's a bit less than stock.

yeti's are supposed to be sick bikes though.

what budget are you looking in, and would you rather build up or go complete? also, are you planning on more DJ, or an all-around hardtail? 4X? urban? pumptrack?

3. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I have a Komodo frame for sale for 125, as I want a mongoose, so all my bikes are mongoose. Komodos are solid frames. If I recall correct ( ricky?) I payed 225-275?

4. art23rockpile

It will be primarily for dirt jumps, and i'll build it up from a frameset. The retail on the Yeti frame is 600, so i'll use that as a reference point.

5. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

the yeti frame is nice, but i think its more suited for 4x go steel and spend the rest of the cash on parts

6. queenwilhelmina

queenwilhelmina God Save the Queen

Art, check out my DJ bike for sale: DMR Rhythm 24" DJ Bike

The bike retails for 799GPB (which is about $1,125) and is brand new. It's a sweet bike. The auction is starting at $500 and Buy It Now is at $799.

Let me know if you want to check it out!

7. art23rockpile

Thanks for the offer, Willie. Building a DJ bike will be a ways off for me, as business has basically ground to a halt. I've been sitting on an Uzzi-VPX that's 80% built, and haven't managed to finish it for two months. Also, I build my bikes from frames as i'm really particular when it comes to componentry.

Good luck with the auction!

8. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

We took this one out to some jumps in OC last weekend and had a blast... Sick bike Really stable and confidence inspiring... Hell even I was hitting doubles:bang:

9. thephat

thephat Active Member

Art, check out Blackmarket. For the price of that Yeti frame, you can have a Mob that is made in the S and M factory in Santa Ana. Or, they have an Asian made version that can be had as a complete for about $1000.

10. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing

Tani has a point here I ended up going with the yeti because no one makes a DJ frame in size huge... I got big house's custom frame(reads Longer than normal TT)when he moved to Intense...

[​IMG]

But either way I believe that Tani can get you set up... I have seen Yeti's hanging around in the shop as well

11. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

in that case, I will put in a good word for the black mrkt Mob. great riding bike from a local company. about the same price as the yeti, rides really well, and they have a pretty sick chrome color for it this year :lol:

parts-wise, I'd go with something like this ;):
    [​IMG]

definitely recommend the argyle fork. it's burly, plushy, and has good damping. easily lowered to 80mm if you so choose.

lots of people like the Pikes as well. they're a bit lighter and have nicer options, but are also more expensive. also slightly less burly due to aluminum stantions and steerer (both are steel on the argyle, that's pretty much the difference between them).

other forks to definitely look into: Xfusion Velvet R is a popular fork. very nice, lightweight, but no 20mm axle yet. looking at the black mrkt bikes blog though (they're sponsored by xfusion), there's a 20mm DJish fork coming from them soon.

Also, as a shameless plug, I've got my 66 for sale. you can lower it to 80mm and it's super burly.

wheels, I say go cheap and strong. transition revolutions (like I've got there) or outlaws. if you're only doing DJ with no chance of 4x, go singlespeed if possible. fast rolling tires, knobs depending on terrain. I like small blocks since they roll fast but still grip nicely on dirt. KRADs and Holy Rollers are also good options, but better on street. for street only hookworms FTW :lol:

cranks, get what you're comfy with and can get for the price you want. I like the saints since they're indestuctible and easy to work on, but you're maxed out at a 32T or 33T cog on that black mrkt frame. running cromo DJ cranks (like deity vendetta or profile race cranks) will give you the option of running a smaller chainring. that'll give you better clearance to the ground, chainstay, etc, lighter weight, etc...

brakes, I like disc, but whatever works for you. just run a rear brake unless you're going to be racing 4x or something.

lemme know if you've got questions. I'm happy to answer them :beer:

12. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    What Bryguy said. These are sick, and totally appropriate for Jumping, trail, track, or 4x, depending on how you set them up. Fullerton Bikes has a couple of BlkMrkts built up and at least one frame (Just like Bryan's) on the wall. Get in touch with Mike. These are Christmas left-overs.

13. xxmtbboyxx

xxmtbboyxx Guest

+1 on bryguy and mtnbikerfred im riding a specialized p1 dj bike i love it. but when i got a chance to ride bryguys blckmrkt at the bmx track.. WOW....super clean bike super smooth i have also ridden rockinthecasbahs black market. i guarentee that will be my next bike. fullerton bikes has a complete RIOT for $1500

14. DownHillPhil

DownHillPhil Team Rider

Photography
    Was the geo that much better mtbboy? I have a crmo P.1 as well

15. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    They are "The Cat's A$$", The Dog's Bullocks, All that & a bag of chips.... AND, Mondo works there, what more you could want?!

16. xxmtbboyxx

xxmtbboyxx Guest

yeah it was im sure if i didnt have 140mm forks on my p1 it would help but the bike was super quick and responsive.

17. DownHillPhil

DownHillPhil Team Rider

Photography
    Hmm.. =)

18. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Another vote for the Black Market.
    Really tight budget > Black Market 357 complete
    Moderate budget > Black Market Riot (you build)
    More budget > Black Market Mob

Since you're used to larger XCish bikes, get the largest frame you can find (22.25"-23").

If we're not careful, this could grow into a Black Market photo thread. :lol:

Attached Files:

19. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Seriously Art dirt jumping bike would be nice but with the spring and summer coming up I think a night light would give you more riding time. We will soon be into our weekend camping trips into the San Gabs (Little Jimmy, Mt. Pacifico) to escape the heat and much of those trips are mostly night riding. Hate to see you miss out, our night ride up Dawson Saddle to bag Throop Peak in the dark last summer was one of my favorite rides of the year.

Dean

20. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

yeah, I'm guessing most of it was the giant fork on the P1. great for railing downhill (I really wanna try a run on that at webb), but not so much for the BMX track.

I could arrange a light for you too art. got this silly little thing in the works. basically, it's as bright as a 50W HID, but only consumes 28w and is the size of a maglite head 8-[

also, hit me up sometime and I'll letcha demo my mob. come to one of the friday night BMX deals and you'll probably be able to demo a lot of bikes in a short amount of time and back to back.