Think I cracked a couple ribs

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by DirtymikeTDB, Oct 19, 2008.

1. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Today down at that wonderfull super secret location. You know up top, right hand drop into a looseish rutted decent with a little rock pile then a little roller yo come back onto the fireroad and hang a right back into the single track......Well turned into the decent on run number 6 today, got a little bucked right before the rock pile, went off the side to the left flat onto my back. now it is a bit hard to breathe. not sure if I want to deal with the ER yet or not. Think I am going to have a beer and relax for a bit and decide.

2. Happy_Gilmore

Happy_Gilmore Blood Donor - Give Life

Does it hurt when you cough ? get some x-rays

3. Lor

Lor New Member

special ed teacher
    Thanks for the ride this morning.. Hope you get better soon, that's a nasty spot to carn.

4. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    Remember, alcohol will thin the blood. If you in fact broke your ribs and they caused any internal bleeding, beer is going to make clotting more difficult. Happy is right, you should go get a few X-Rays.

Feel better

5. Lefty Kev

Lefty Kev Exiled Brit

small business owner
    If it doesn't hurt when you drink your beer, you should be okay :lol:

6. un-kola

un-kola Just another Homer!

Retired!
    Gonna hurt like hell tomorrow morning,even if you didn't break it.:eek: Like the other guys were saying,go get some x-rays and maybe a couple of vikes.Two beers and two vikes and you won't feel much!\\:D/ I just went through that last month,non-mtb related rib injury.Good luck,and hope you're feeling better soon.- Lloyd :wave:

7. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Yes badly, and it hurts to breathe in general

8. un-kola

un-kola Just another Homer!

Retired!
    Even though there's not much they can do,get some x-rays to make sure you didn't puncture a lung or something along those lines.Collapsed or an infected lung is no fun.Usually at an emergency or urgent care they'll try to move you towards the front of the line when they hear what happened to you.At least that's what they did for me.Good luck.- Lloyd :wave:

9. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    You may just have a cracked rib. I had one my Junior year of high school from lacrosse. It hurt to breathe, cough, lay on, etc. It depends how much it hurts, but I never got a x-ray, I just let it heal naturally, which took a week or two.

10. resistance_mtb

resistance_mtb New Member

It sounds like a fractured rib. Theres nothing the ER can do.. I had a fractured rib, they just told me to take some moltrin.

If they compress it with a compression bandage it will just make breathing even worse.

If you want to go for peace of mind, just wait and make an appointment with your doctor. Instead of paying so much for medical bills..

I went to ER and it was like 3,000 dollars total.. insurance took 1,500 off

11. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    The only time I would not agree is if a broken rib is separated and is now free floating. That can do any number of things like puncture a lung. I was always surprised how many people would walk around with a collapsed lung and not really know it.

12. resistance_mtb

resistance_mtb New Member

Totaly agree, thats the only situation when they would do something, but small fractures will have little to none medical attention.

13. Diamondback

Diamondback Banned

you may just bruised a couple of ribs, it takes 2 weeks to get over that, if its fractured its like 2 months. all an xray does is to show you thats its fractured, but if you have insurance its worth using it.

I agree with not using the ER, its damn expensive. I used the ER last time I broke a collar bone and all they did was give me Motrin and a sling, however I got a week off of work so that was worth it I guess. The ER cost me $500 out of my pocket with insurance. (depends what plan if any)

I was at the JPL parking lot yesterday and some noobs were asking me about El Prieto. I told them to walk down areas if they looked sketchy especially the last 50 yards. I told them aint no points lost if you get off and hike a bike.

Take care and stay off the bike awhile.:beer:

14. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Been there gone that. Had to borrow a reclining chair from my mother because I could never get comfortable or fall asleep laying down. Don't laugh it is true.

Dean

15. Franky

Franky DHShuttleMonkey

That 1st steep rutted chute on the SSDH trail got me 2 years ago. I cracked a rib and had to sleep in a chair like Steppie for a week. It hurt like hell to breathe, laugh or cough. Get a xray first thing in the morning.

16. 1080P

1080P Banned

Dotting "i's" & crossing "t's" while balancing
    If it hurts like hell laying on one side in bed on your back, hurts to cough, laugh or sneeze, hurts to sit up in bed using your stomach muscles to do like a sit up or get out of bed, and hurts in general to breathe really deep, those are all symptoms of cracked ribs. Plan on 7 or 8 weeks of pain. Nothing the docs can do, except wait and let them heal on their own.

17. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Good morning

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. Good news, I have collasped a lung before so I know that feeling, nothing close to that bad. Bad news........OUCH. Pretty sure at this point and time it is mostly bruising, and possibly one or two cracked on the left sideup top under the armpit area. I didnt go to the doctor, but I did get checked out by my Local Friendly Neighbor the ER nurse. That was what her feelings were, she gave me some sapple pills that made me pass out really fast. She is going to come over again tonight and check on me again, and I promised her is she says so I will go to the Doctor.

18. DownHillPhil

DownHillPhil Team Rider

Photography
    That section has quite the collection of heads swinging on its' belt. I've eaten shit there once (technically after the dh section on the "roller" it launched me into the side of a hill since I was too far right), and taco'd a rim another time.

19. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Well, got the xray, no actual breaks that they can see, I am just going to sit at home and cry tonight, I am sure tommorrow will be worse. I cant wait to get back down there and own that friggin hill.

20. jonsocal

jonsocal Ride and Know

Voice and Data - IP Communications Sales
    Home Page:
    I have done something similar before. I have both broken ribs and separated ribs. They each hurt equally bad. Neither will heal anytime fast. In fact, the separated rib took several weeks before it slowly went away. I thought I was healed then I made the mistake to try to pull start my father's lawn mower. That twisting and pulling action re-aggravated the injury and I was back to square 1.

The lesson to be learned here is that you are not, under any circumstances, to do yard-work when injured.