Theres custom tuning then theres AVALANCHE

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by Bullcrew, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Bullcrew

Bullcrew New Member

Self
    Home Page:
    Pretty awesome when UPS gives you a woodie! :D

Theres tuning and revalving then theres actuall manufacturing of parts and dialing stuff in completely. Both are tuned for the bike the high speed has been modded and the woodie is in a league of its own.
    So after reading and going through all the stuff on the site and having tried alot of other shocks and forks over the last 4 years I pulled the trigger on a Avalanche Woodie and couldnt go without modding the Boxxer so I had them do the High speed mod.
    Had the Woodie done with light valving, a 450 ti spring and hi/lo speed adjuster put on it.
    Now I dont have any real time on the DH on it as it came in yesterday I will after this weekend. We did pull the comp out of the boxxer and stuck a original one in so we could side by side ride it and initial is it feels more like a coil than before, its more plush (quite a bit) and the hi speed soaks up a curb head on better than before and mobbing it at full speed. I know thats not an accurate test LOL but it tells me what its going to do to get me started on dialing it in.
    The mod makes the Hi speed adjustment just that, a high speed adjustment and leaves the low speed alone. So when you adjust the hi speed it doesnt make the low speed all out of whack and compromise it. It actually keeps them more like independent adjsutments with little to no effect on each other as well as the oil flow is increased so it acts like it has lighter weight oil in it but with the plushness at high speed of a thicker weight oil.
    So we'll see Ill have a full ride report this week with a mixxed bag of terrain and styles as well as drops and the jump park.
    I will add the Woodie is ridiculous, it literally soaks up everything identical to the DHS. It comes in at 544g with bushings and hardware so not much heavier than a fox, elka or marzocchi.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still semi light with hopey and avy LOL 37.38
    [​IMG]

Initial review:

OK got some drops, rocks, jumps, berms, single track etc out of the way this weekend TONS of riding and barely needed to dial it in.
    First the fork was incredible the Mod made it stupid plush, I did need to add a little rebound off the double and jumps I was front end high and with 15-20 mph winds it was blowing me sideways ontop of that which was intresting in itself. So I added a smidge of low speed and upped the comp a little bit and that was it, it leveled and flew even off everything from there on out.
    Rocks:
    Front end was quiet no chattering zero packing like before, it tracked absolutely smooth. It handled the drops into the rocks at full speed and I overshot the double at the bottom by ALOT and flat bottomed way past it and the fork was butter completely smooth didnt bottom out and soaked it up. It still handled the chatter and the small bump absorbtion was flawless....
    Jumps:
    It handled the jumps like before but was alot smoother through the stroke and didnt have tha dry feeling like before it was plush. Not too much difference aside of the smooth handling, jumps and trannys are basic on most forks.
    Corners:
    It tracked the berms spot on and the chatter in them didnt cause it ti wash out like before as a matter of fact I dont realy remember hitting tham it was smooth at speed and no lack of control the front end just smoothed it out. Corners again are corners but its the chatter and the rocks in there I couldnt quite get the front to play nice with so that was the big improvement with it. It stayed the course but the dampening was alot more precise and worked better between the hi and low speed and its probably the fact he seperates the influence of them on each other with the mod..
    So it cornered alot better with the front tracking better and not bouncing all over. The good part is I could run a bit more rebund and the dampening slowed the front end down so there was no fast return poping from lack of rebound. It was a really evened out effect.
    Drops:
    Not too much to say here it always performed good on those so that was never the issue. (obviousley the rear was really NICE and plush)
    Rear shock:
    The front matches the rear shock extremely well they are both absolutely butter, the bike was almost silent going through the rocks and literally I was blowing the corner at speed and dropping the railroad tie drops off into the rockgarden without slowing down at all and not once did I feel the front or rear get unstable as a matter of fact the faster I went the smoother and more in control it was....
    Overall it was a good day I did need to adjust the dials a little bit but it rode like a completley different bike and not just the rear the front acted like a totally different fork altogether. The Mod definently opens up the boxxers potential and makes it ride a hell of a lot better than before...
    Only downfall is Shep came down from Wyoming to ride with us and he (for some damn reason) failed to pull up the front end and went WAY to slow off a ladder drop.
    He plummeted 7' to the front wheel took the bars too the chest and went over and down the landing folding in half and not in a good way.
    Scared the hell out of us and he thought he broke his back because of the loud snap noise between the shoulder blade.
    After 4 broken backs I have become a bit familiar with the following and the amount of pain involved so we kept him down for an hour laying there (just to let him relax) and proceeded to get him up slow. LOL then I do what I do best, got all agro told him to get on his bike and ride out slowley on the tame trail.... Based on the amount of pain he was in I dont think he broke it, I broke mine in that area T7/T8 3 times and $hit its a WORLD OF PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got word from Shep he broke his sternum and 2 vertabrae in his back....

2. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    Thanks for the post, I've always been curious about Avalanche products.

Hope your buddy heals fast!

3. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Healing vibes to your friend. Also what did it cost to do the Boxxer?

4. Bullcrew

Bullcrew New Member

Self
    Home Page:
    http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/AVA%20ADV.htm

I Ran avy a couple of years ago (dhs shock) and swapped around for a couple of years to see if I was missing stuff and now im back as well as Craig is realeasing the AVA program and the stuff is amazing. He did alot of parts for Darren (Push) as well as helped him groom the MX tune for the Fox DHX. Hes had the new program in the works for several years and now its released. Hes going to sell cartridges to tning guys to sell and install as well as parts for the DHX to make them true speed sensative shocks with Hi.lo adjusters that fit into the propedal spot so no more new castings or CNC peices for the outside.

Anyhow yeah Sheps going to be fine hes pretty lazy to begin with so laying around is kind of the norm ;)

The hi speed upgrade mod was $129 and worth the money. Im not having a placebo effect because $129 either. It wasnty a huge investment considering what we spend on our rides but it was one of the best Ive done period. LOL...
    It was well worth the investment and Id do it again.:beer:

5. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    I've always been curious about the AVy stuff and had wanted to do the AVY upgrade for my old Manitou 4 way, but ended up selling the bike before I could even try it. Think a converted Manitou 4 way will feel as good as your woodie or DHS?

6. Bullcrew

Bullcrew New Member

Self
    Home Page:
    No because the woodi, chubby and DHS have been designed from the ground up for maximum effeciency for speed sensativity ie ports, piston, ID, resi and bladders and or floating pistons... Size and oil flow are the main things and have the most effect especially over long runs and consistency of dampening.

Would it make it a smokin shock? Yes, it makes a HUGE difference. We did my buddies 5th element and its NEVER been this good. Craigs stuff works really well he literally is a perfectionist and a bit hard to deal with at times but take his advice especially on the tuning part of things.
    My Woodie feels a bit slow on the rebound and I can honestly say the bike tracks ALOT better than any shock Ive used to date. Its a mounted resi version of a DHS.

Is it worth it? Again Yes, It will perform and for the price its custom tuned ontop of being a true speed sensative shock vs position sensative. So no matter how far into the travel the shock is the consistency is the same as far as dampening, it may get a little stiffer as the spring collapses but high speed hits its not going to matter the tuning does what its supposed to.

The breakdown is:
    A custom tuned shock for rider weight, leverage ratio of bike, riding style and its completely modded and his guts and parts are installed to make it speed sensative.

This is a good thing a very good thing.

You should do a search on mtbr and alot of the turner guys run chubbies as well as its always nothing butg stellar reports to avalanche and the products. NEVER been able to find a blown avy product either... Craig still ahs original shocks from 10 years ago floating around that he adds or pulls length from to fit different frames and revalves as they have changed hands a few times or the owners have had them sized to fit their new frames. RARELY is a avalanche shock for sale maybe 1 now and again but not often and they still go for $350 then you have to have them valved and sized to your bike if it didnt come off the exact setup as yours. They have a hell of a resell....

7. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    I wouldn't mind getting my Fox 40 and Manitou Revox done up. Too bad I don't see any service for that rear shock by them.

Not sure if I can afford an AVY rear shock on the M6. :lol:

8. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    I currently have a Marzocchi Roco RC Coil. How do you think it would compare to a AVY converted 5th/Swinger?

9. jonny nez

jonny nez DHing shouldnt be a crime

wheres the action shots? The products shots are cool, but lets see some pics of it action :p

10. evdog

evdog Member

I'll second all the positive comments about Avy. There is nothing I've ridden that compares in terms of plushness and durability. I've had DHS's on 4 bikes now. The same shock was on 3 of them...just a re-valve to switch it over, though one required a change in stroke length as well. I haven't tried any of their custom services for other brands but I'm sure they would be a big improvement over the stock model.

It really says something about a product when many people keep the shock when they sell the bike. And what other company can you call and have the guy who will be working on your shock pick up the phone.

11. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    making me want one now.
    They look heavy as all hell though.

12. Bullcrew

Bullcrew New Member

Self
    Home Page:
    Whats your M6 weigh currently! :D

Just poking at you Mudd, the shock isnt heavy, a crappy wheelset is a heavy tires is but a centered item on a bike thats 80g heavier isnt squat. Its minimal and its not rotational weight as well as its low on the bike.

Avalanche is 80 grams heavier than a dhx and easily 3 times the shock. Its because they arent trying to convince you it works because it looks cool and sleak. Craig avoids this approach to his product. Its light but his focus is on performance and actually working with NO ISSUES. I wish he would add a more sleek look and anodize some stuff to avoid the hardcoat ano look. Theres certain areas that a minimal gain in weight outweighs the ounce or 2 you save. Fork and shock are the main ones and a tire with sidewalls that doesn't detonate is another.

Avalanche shocks are hard coat anodized which is a 9 out of 10 on the diamond hardness scale, shock bodies inside and out for wear protection then they are teflon coated (tm88 baked on process) and all items in there are literally QUALITY and designed for longevity and perfromance. His resi bridges are CNCd, the shafts are all coated and he only uses

(I used to do the teflon projects for others and the bake on process is amazing for wear, we did military stuff for certain projects)

From his site:
    • Adjustable anti-bob compression blow-off valving
    * MX seal and valving technology
    • Teflon coated piston ring and shock body bore for reduced friction and heat
    • O-ring sealed DU bearings and 17-4-PH stainless steel reducers

Thats the biggest misconception about avy shocks is the weight theres very little weight penalty if any at all. But they look heavy agread and thats not the case.

As far as roco compared to a 5th mod they would feel similair with the exception the 5th would be custom tuned so it would be better. True speed sensative and dilaed for the circumstaces is huge in itself.

13. Bullcrew

Bullcrew New Member

Self
    Home Page:
    Ill get some this week/weekend, we were supposed to hit it hard yesterday but Shep wrecked himself and he and his buddy made the voyage backk home so Mike and Ill will throw a collection of shots and Ill post a couple... Aside of the fact I hate living here I like the riding and spring summer with tamarack and brundige is a good stomping ground for shuttles and an hour up the road with some really big features and rocks.
    Hopefully tamarack figures out something or we find a shuttle road up the access road to ride it this summer...

Ill get some good jump, rockshots this weekend. Heres some from the last few weeks.

This is a little spot we found that we are building a jump at the top to make a bigger fade away the trannys perfect and plenty of time to straighten out before the trees.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one you launch from the top of the rock behind me and mandatory to clear the rocks that Im getting ready to just barely make. Its not big maybe 6' up but its off the top of a big rocks thats got a small chute to launch from and you have to clear 15'+ out. Pic doesnt do it justice with the length of it. PEDAL, PEDAL, PEDAL, PEDAL LOL
    [​IMG]

14. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    From the looks of it, the woodie will not fit an M6.
    I plan to lose some weight, so maybe once I get to where my goals are at -an Avy will be considered. It would be terrible to get a bike dialed in for one weight, then cut or gain some and have to get it revalved.

I've been interested in an AVY shock for a while, but never really sure what they were about or how well they worked. lol
    But the only way to know is trying it. Just needa come up on some money now.

Currently my Manitou Revox works okay, but the bike is oversprung and hasn't had much trail time. I cannot gather an accurate opinion on the setup quite yet- not until it's sprung correctly.

From the sounds of it though, your bike is damn near perfect. :bang:

Once I figure out how to ride a bike without crashing- we should shuttle!

15. Bullcrew

Bullcrew New Member

Self
    Home Page:
    LOL Im sure youd hold your own!!:bang:

The weight of the bike isnt taken into the valving equasion the leverage ratio, riding style etc is... The weight is based on your weight and thats what the dictates what spring rate youll run.
    A montie would probably fit nicely if nothing else.

Just grab a couple of springs and go from there I can ride an undersrpung or oversprung bike just accomodate it with a bit of style...
    If its oversprung add a bit of rebound if its oversprung add a bit of compression this helps compensates for that not full proof but a good patch and makes it rideable!:beer:

16. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    Yes I know what you meant by the weight. I was talking about the rider losing weight. I'm on a mission to get fit. :lol:

I am waiting for a softer front and rear spring to come in. Hopefully that will make a big difference.

I'd certainly like to get an AVY on the M6. Haven't read about anyone with one on theres.

Your wheels look sick btw.

17. Bullcrew

Bullcrew New Member

Self
    Home Page:
    Weight and losing it makes me laugh I tried recently I was 230lbs went to the GYM and started running, spin class and went back to lifting. I bulked up a bit (used to lift ALOT) not as big as before but went to the scale and was 239.... I'm done Ill continue to lift and go to spin/run and whatever.... I wanted 210-220 not going to happen..... Wife keeps telling me to quit being a girl about my weight...So weight is a number now and as long as Im not fat Im happy...:mad:

18. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    Travis, do you know anything about the piggyback ala carte? It's been over a year with no more details? I wanna drop some cash now on an Avalanche but want it to outlast my frame and be able to go on a future frame.

19. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

I was kinda wondering that too. that kit looked pretty badass, and I'd love to have a shock that I didn't need to send back to avy for a new setup. Plus, I LOVE tinkering with things :)

also, what all do they do to the boxxer cartridge for that overhaul? I've been a little underwhelmed by the overall plushness of my team, and wouldn't mind getting a bit more comfort out of it before I start hitting the lifts in a few months.

20. Bullcrew

Bullcrew New Member

Self
    Home Page:
    Its available just call him... He has them there.
    Id do it but Craig tunes my stuff and knows what I want better than I do LOL...

After 6 years hes got me pegged, I call I just say hello and he tells me what i want its great. :D saves money on phone calls and I dont waste his time with jibberish..