The Women of STR...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dino Brown, Nov 4, 2008.

1. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    Skilled women

This is when you know we ride with skilled women.

2. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Dirty Divas

Two of my favorite STR Dirty Girlz: SheClimbs and Go Go
    [​IMG]

3. Pato

Pato Stop stealing my thunder!

Computer/Networking nerd
    I thought Dino was the one who got you into the scrapbooking in the first place. :?:

:-k How about getting into those tupperware parties? He's told me about wanting to get into that ad nauseam.

4. dirtsnack

dirtsnack Member

cad/cam and cnc's
    This thread need a bump and some more posts.

5. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

One good bump deserves another! :beer:

Thanks for bumping the thread
    (stroll down memory lane)

6. Sherpa DRider

Sherpa DRider One finger tappy tap!

Architect
    Don't forget the small but mighty TINK BELL!

I had the chance to ride with Tink Bell this weekend at Mammoth and for someone feeling a little off from the altitude, she still decided to drop this section of FLOW on our first run down.
    Fearless and smooth is all I can say about TINK:
    Check out the video:

[vimeo]14521938[/vimeo]

20100828 Mammoth 003.jpg

7. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Bad Girls of DH!!!!

Traci

[​IMG]

Mandy

[​IMG]

Denmo

[​IMG]

Julia

[​IMG]

8. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    Thanks Denmo for thinking of us! I was just about to do my own write up about you!

It's hard for me to put it in to words what DenMo has done for not just me but SEVERAL women on and off STR.
    Earlier this year Denmo was nominated to be considered one of the most influential women in SoCal, here is my nomination email:

This is my official nomination for Nancy Harris as one of the 5 most influential women in So-Cal cycling.

About a year ago I decided that I’d like to start racing DH. My husband had asked Nancy is she’d be willing to maybe show me the ropes at Fontana during my first race. The rest has been history. Not only is Nancy my coach and cheerleader but I consider her one of my closest friends.

Nancy is selfless, confident and inspiring just to name a few of her most outstanding qualities~

Nancy at EVERY race takes time out of her practice to make sure us sport/beginner ladies have our lines down. She rides with us, shows us the *The Big Girl Lines* then makes sure we’ve got them before she tends to her own practice. Often sacrificing her own perfection of lines to insure ours are perfect! Nancy’s biggest days are when we’re successful! Nancy races *Womens Open* class, this class is ALL expert women there-fore she is usually racing women half her age. She holds her own with these gals and can ride anything they can just as fast! She often leads the series. Nancy has had many painful knee and back issues this past year she often can barely walk after race weekends. She has such a love for this sport and the women doing it, I will morn the day she can’t be on the course riding, pushing us, cheering for us. I don’t ever foresee her not on the course coaching us, even when she’s off the bike!

Nancy has taught me how to win or loose gracefully, she’s been real honest with me when others haven’t, I struggle with my weight as has she, she never lets me use it as an excuse, she holds me accountable for all my actions even when I don’t want to hear it.I am one woman out of SEVRAL (Allison Mann and Stephanie McCormack to name a few) who have been influenced enough by Nancy for it to be life changing.I personally went from a FAT girl on the sofa to the Girl who won the Golden State DH series in my class last year, with Nancy by my side.
    I can’t think of a better person than Nancy as to be one of the 5 most influential women of So-Cal cycling. Thanks for your time and consideration

Traci Adams

Love you Nancy! xoxo Thanks for being part of so many of our lives!

Btw ~ Denmo was 1 of 5 women picked to be "The most Influential Women in Socal Cycling" http://mtbchick.com/thetrailhead/2010/04/05/the-5-most-influential-women-in-socal-cycling/

Whistler 2010 ~ Denmo (Path jersey) showing me (white) how it's done on the Joyride Drops
    [video=vimeo;13307352]http://vimeo.com/13307352[/video]

Denmo ~ Freight Train, Whistler 2010
    [​IMG]

Wendy - Nancy - Traci ~ Mammoth 2010
    [​IMG]

9. Sailor Ripley

Sailor Ripley New Member

Mortgage Loan Originator
    This thread will never get old! Another friendly bump for girls on bikes...

Another couple of of pics of Crazysue... She gets put through heck and keeps coming back for more.

Who's ready for Halloween?

Attached Files:

10. denmother

Aw shucks, thank you Traci. It has been a wonderful experience meeting all of you and passing on my love for the sport!

11. MandyS1477

MandyS1477 Needs DH training wheels

Office Manager Extraordinaire
    Thank you for starting this thread. What a great way to recognize the amazing women on here. I have to much love and respect for all these women, but I think it's easy to say the Nancy is the true matriarch. Since Traci shared her submission for influential women of mountain biking, I will share mine:
    I'm writing in about Nancy Harris. I understand she has already been nominated so I will just elaborate on why.

I entered my first Downhill race in November of 2009. I began riding bikes in August of 2009. I had 3 months experience on a bike period. Nancy told me that she would be at the race and to come find her for some help.
    Friday afternoon I get there and begin hiking up the hill with my bike. I hear a voice saying "hey are you Mandy?" and I turn around to see Nancy.
    My first couple runs, I fell over and over, and just could not clear some sections on this technical course. Nancy worked with me until it was too dark to see.

Saturday, Nancy was practicing with even more of us unsure girls. Making sure to stop and watch us clean the sections that would have been impossible without her help. I ended up placing 4th, and I would not have raced without Nancy's teaching and encouragement. She is a great person to be around, on and off of the track. She is never too busy to help a friend or encourage a newcomer. This is just the story of my first encounter. She continues to help and encourage me, and every race is willing to take time to help whoever wants it.

Nancy truly is an influential woman of mountain biking and especially the sport of downhill.

Thank you for reading, and thank you for bringing attention to the fabulous women in biking.

Mandy Salter

We love you Nancy!

And some other wonderful women of STR:
    groupbutte.jpg

What would life be like without the dirty girlz? I don't want to know.....
    Thanks for being awesome ladies!
    xoxo
    Mandy

12. denmother

Thanks Mandy!!! You have come a long way!!! Hope to ride again soon!!!

13. Greengiant

Greengiant Steady diet of dirt

I issue building permits in Palo Alto!
    Just a few of my friends...

I've spent the past couple of years riding with a great group of women I've met here on STR and the friendships we share are priceless! Some of these gerls you may have seen or ridden with on the trails, and they're all accomplished riders in their own right!

Dusty--Queen of Taco Tuesday having a blast in Downieville!
    nan in dville.jpg

Dirtmistress--we all love her crazy sense of humor!
    Liz on the rocks in Dville.jpg

Speckledtrout---you may have seen her pics after she fell into the cactus on our Sedona trip...she was very happy not to encounter any cactus in D'ville!
    quinn in dville.jpg

Elisheva and I trained for the Counting Coup a couple of years ago, and this past January decided to ride up Maple Springs after it snowed. We made it to 4 Corners and just had a blast riding back down...
    Beth on MS.jpg

Barb...who I've known for years and finally got her to go on the D'ville trip to meet all my other gerlfriends!
    barb in dville.jpg

Tink Bell....scroll down to Sherpa DRiders post for the best pic I could find of her!!

14. Sherpa DRider

Sherpa DRider One finger tappy tap!

Architect
    and...the Green Giant herself!!!!!

Amazing, beautiful inside and out: Genny!
    201006 Downieville 226.jpg 201006 Downieville 189.jpg

15. denmother

And who could forget these infamous characters?

Allison

[​IMG]

Steph

[​IMG]

16. denmother

Come on ladies!!!

17. mtnkitty

mtnkitty Guest

Women who ride are awesome!

18. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    Damn right they are. Especially you!

Just in case there's anyone that doesn't know this, Grace has become quite the little singlespeed monster. She got a Surly 1x1 back in the beginning of the year, and has pretty much ridden nothing else since then. Everything from the Kern River trail to Sedona to Bay Area Trails to Mt Charleston last week...all of it, on her bright green Surly.

You've done great Grace...I'm awfully proud of you. =)

[​IMG]

19. nerdgirl

nerdgirl Ronin

Cog in the federal justice machine
    Home Page:
    I don't ride with women very much. But of the 3 occasions they were really cool. I've ridden with Gwench twice and Mandy once. Gwench and I both insisted we be at the back, but I always win that one! Pretty hard to be slower than me uphill ;)

I may not ride with the ladies, but I've met several of them and they are all wonderful people. Those of you who do ride with them are very fortunate to be in their company on the trails

:)

20. whybother

whybother New Member

[​IMG]

she definitely used to be a woman of str, she is still friends with lots of them i know that.