The wedge-no bueno

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by Blake, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Blake

Blake New Member

I work at Dairy Queen
    Although I am a DH MTBer, I have yet to suffer a "serious" injury. Aside from stitches and a few bad bruises and dome checks, I have been somewhat lucky. But today I was at The Wedge in Newport Beach, due to the fact that I am a bodyboarder and I have been for sometime. I have been more times then I can count and I've scared myself many times over as well. Today was a 6-7 foot day here and the waves break in about knee deep water (amazing if you really think about it). I was out with some buddies of mine and decided to take off on a decent size set wave and had a good ride. I was sitting inside paddling out while another set wave was coming in. I duck-dived or went under the wave and had my leg extended behind me and I was smashed into the sand with it in that position. I heard a VERY loud pop and I was yelling like hell. It had to be one of the worst pains I have felt in a long time (short of receiving 3rd degree burns from motocross but thats for another time). I could not and still cannot put any weight on it so I am hopping around now with a belly full of vicaden (I am sure you guys can tell by how poorly this is written). I have not been to the hospital yet but will be going early in the morning to get this looked at. I hope I am not out for the summer and miss all of these trips to N* and Mammoth I have planned. So moral of the story is don't go out at wedge at low tide and expect to come out unimjured!

2. Zippo

Zippo Pow Wow!

Vicodin will dehydrate you quicker than all the sand you eat dropping into shorepound like the Wedge, so drink a ton of water (fresh water). Good luck!

What popped anyway? Hyper-extended knee?

3. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    Ridin' shorepound used to be one of those things I'd only do when I was feelin' sharp and hadda get a few more after a good session at Goldenwest. It eventually gets you and you leave that sheit to the grems.

Feel for ya dude...been there, done that. Sucks. Get better soon.

4. live_in_hilo@yahoo.com

[email protected] hilo boi

hvac
    thats a bummer. quick healing and maybe you can hit up mammoth and n* next year.

5. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    Totally sucks to be injured, espeially in the summer.

Yep, that's why I pretty much stick to my longboard - and rarely, if ever, anything over head high.

I just don't heal as fast as I used to.

6. no worries

no worries Member

The wedge seems most dangerous at 30 feet and at about 8.

Sorry bout your knee, better than your neck!

7. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Used to go out at the wedge...never paddle out on the inside. Seen too many people get pounded, stunned, and then washed close into the breakwater or funneled into the peak.

Gotta follow the locals when they head back out on the backwash in-between sets about 50-100 yards off the break, depending on the size of the surf and where the bounce focuses on the ankle-deep.

Its about time for the Peruvian storms to kick in a swell or two to clear out all but the locals...when it does, best be down there early in the morning when those who know are the only ones who go out...

8. TREE

TREE New Member

The Wedge almost got me in high school and I have not been back in 21 years........

9. Blake

Blake New Member

I work at Dairy Queen
    So I went to the Doctors today and received good news! I only have a bad sprain in my knee and I will go in tuesday once again to have it looked at again. Thank god that I did not seriously get hurt! I should be able to return in few weeks if not sooner I'm guessing. Stay positive and come back stronger then before and I will be fine.

Thanks for the get wells guys! See you out there!